An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Discerning.. (How We Present Ourselves)

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1331955338' post='2402228']
My dress has become more feminine and modest. Long skirts, blouses, cardigans, pearls. I rarely wear jeans. Discernment really helps you too discover true womanhood.
[/quote]

To, not too. Idk why I typed that...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1331990705' post='2402313']

So, I have one problem with men saying the way women should dress. You guys haven't had to wear dresses all you life! They can get very annoying sometimes. Like, when it's 20 below zero outside (where I'm from in the winter) and you don't want to freez into a Popsicle. Also, long skirts get in the way during sports and especially when hiking. So, while your intentions may be good, they, in my opinion are not completely realistic for every woman! I also am hounded by my father every time I put a pair of pantaloons on. he always tells me to go put a skirt on. I just wish he knew what it was like to wear a skirt. For me skirts are only practical at church and in the summer when I am not doing athletic activities. I do admire the women that do wear skirts all season long though but for me I wouldn't be doing that until I am A nun! :dance: As long as you don't look like Britney Spears, I think your doing good!
[/quote]

Well, not to mention he Duggar girls again, but they hiked through a poor country in South America in long skirts and flip-flops. It was uneven and dangerous ground and they still did fine. However, I do know this is not practical for all situations. Obviously, when hiking Mount Everest, you shouldn't wear a skirt. But how many women are going to hike Mount Everest? The average women does not do much hiking in our society. But I do agree that skirts are not practical in all situations.

And what do you mean I don't understand? I plan to wear a Habit or Cathedral Cassock for the rest of my life! :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332044049' post='2402819']
Well, not to mention he Duggar girls again, but they hiked through a poor country in South America in long skirts and flip-flops. It was uneven and dangerous ground and they still did fine. However, I do know this is not practical for all situations. Obviously, when hiking Mount Everest, you shouldn't wear a skirt. But how many women are going to hike Mount Everest? The average women does not do much hiking in our society. But I do agree that skirts are not practical in all situations.

And what do you mean I don't understand? I plan to wear a Habit or Cathedral Cassock for the rest of my life! :P
[/quote]

Well, before you fall too much in love with the Duggar girls, remember that they are fundamentalists who consider Catholics to be 'Romanist's and 'atangonists to the nation'.

A p.ants wearing Catholic woman is a better witness to Christ than a skirt clad fundamentalist 'girl' any day of the week! :)

And your cassock wearing days are a long way away - try wearing a skirt now! :P

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1332045682' post='2402856']
Well, before you fall too much in love with the Duggar girls, remember that they are fundamentalists who consider Catholics to be 'Romanist's and 'atangonists to the nation'.

A p.ants wearing Catholic woman is a better witness to Christ than a skirt clad fundamentalist 'girl' any day of the week! :)

[/quote]

I know. I was really sad to know that their family listens to a preacher that is actually very dark in his teachings about the Church. I simply respect the family a lot.

And of course, a good Catholic woman simply can't be beat. There's nothing like praying the Rosary during a date and going to Eucharistic adoration together!

Patience, young one, patience. I will be made fun of for my [b]a[/b]wesome clothing by secular men and liberal Catholics that believe Priests should be wearing normal clothes soon enough. :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332046702' post='2402878']
I know. I was really sad to know that their family listens to a preacher that is actually very dark in his teachings about the Church. I simply respect the family a lot.

And of course, a good Catholic woman simply can't be beat. There's nothing like praying the Rosary during a date and going to Eucharistic adoration together!

Patience, young one, patience. I will be made fun of for my [b]a[/b]wesome clothing by secular men and liberal Catholics that believe Priests should be wearing normal clothes soon enough. :P
[/quote]

Patience, young one??? Are you not aware that I am nearly 60 years old? :lol4:

And my comment was made in reference to the fact that you equated your wearing a cassock with a woman wearing a skirt - not the same at all, and you aren't doing it now, so leave it alone and wait til you have your own 'skirt' to talk about your hardships with it! :P

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1332047695' post='2402887']
Patience, young one??? Are you not aware that I am nearly 60 years old? :lol4:

And my comment was made in reference to the fact that you equated your wearing a cassock with a woman wearing a skirt - not the same at all, and you aren't doing it now, so leave it alone and wait til you have your own 'skirt' to talk about your hardships with it! :P
[/quote]

I go by shoe size. Unfortunately for me, that puts me at six. I hated being six...

Well, I have always aspired to wear a kilt, as I absolutely adore Scotland. I'll work on wearing one soon. Plus, I also mentioned a Habit. That's kind of like a skirt.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332048392' post='2402894']
I go by shoe size. Unfortunately for me, that puts me at six. I hated being six...

Well, I have always aspired to wear a kilt, as I absolutely adore Scotland. I'll work on wearing one soon. Plus, I also mentioned a Habit. That's kind of like a skirt.
[/quote]

Well, come back then, when you actually are wearing a skirt and let us know how that is working for you! :)

I will be in a habit very soon, and very glad of it I am, but I also know that there are times when a pair of p.ants (even underneath) can be helpful and more modest than hiking up one's skirts to do something. All I'm saying...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1332048802' post='2402895']
Well, come back then, when you actually are wearing a skirt and let us know how that is working for you! :)

I will be in a habit very soon, and very glad of it I am, but I also know that there are times when a pair of p.ants (even underneath) can be helpful and more modest than hiking up one's skirts to do something. All I'm saying...
[/quote]

You're probably more experienced in this than I am. Though thanks to my sister and my cousin's even minds, I have worn a dress and most likely a skirt when I was younger, so I probably do have experience in skirts.

Being a Benedictine Nun will be a splendid experience. Especially since they'll make sure you're wearing that Habit 24/7! :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332049460' post='2402899']
You're probably more experienced in this than I am. Though thanks to my sister and my cousin's even minds, I have worn a dress and most likely a skirt when I was younger, so I probably do have experience in skirts.

Being a Benedictine Nun will be a splendid experience. Especially since they'll make sure you're wearing that Habit 24/7! :P
[/quote]

I doubt your experience in skirts was comparable... fact.

These Benedictine nuns are very practical though, and they have a denim work habit that they wear for farm work and a work veil as well. Some communities change into jeans instead - neither one is 'right', believe it or not.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1332049598' post='2402901']
I doubt your experience in skirts was comparable... fact.

These Benedictine nuns are very practical though, and they have a denim work habit that they wear for farm work and a work veil as well. Some communities change into jeans instead - neither one is 'right', believe it or not.
[/quote]

Neither one is right? What are the Nuns supposed to do, go naked? That's a scary thought in and of itself... :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332049853' post='2402903']
Neither one is right? What are the Nuns supposed to do, go naked? That's a scary thought in and of itself... :P
[/quote]

I have to assume you are trying to be funny, but no, neither one is right, but you will have to work this one out for yourself. :P

MarysLittleFlower

Thanks for the replies :)

I just thought I'd clarify one thing, I didn't mean looking messy or nothing matching etc... I meant looking presentable and neat, but dressing simply.

I've thought and prayed about this more, it seems to me that understandable it's good to dress according to your place in society (so a queen would dress differently than a middle class woman and that's fine) - but if one is tempted to vanity, avoiding excessive "decoration" can help: just moderating it. I also read many quotes by the Saints praising simplicity in dress (simplicity, not being messy :)) so maybe that's the perfection? The difficult thing is finding the balance so that if you live in the world, you're both presentable and aren't tempted to vanity... I'm still trying to figure that out.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Carmelshrimp

I just can't get my head round worrying about how I look all the time. i honestly don't think a woman with her mind turned towards God is very likely to present herself as immodest or seductive. When I get up and get dressed I hope I have better things to think about than my "image". To me that's another form of self-preoccupation and vanity. For goodness sake, just get dressed and follow Christ. There will always be people out there who read something else into our choice of clothes but we can't do much about that.

[quote name='Carmelshrimp' timestamp='1332084449' post='2402972']
I just can't get my head round worrying about how I look all the time. i honestly don't think a woman with her mind turned towards God is very likely to present herself as immodest or seductive.
[/quote]

Amen.

MissScripture

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1332045682' post='2402856']

[/quote]
And St. Gianna Molla was a saint and she wore p.ants. :shocking: I'd say she was a pretty good witness to Christ.