An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox Nuns

Clareni

Youtube production #2 is dedicated to Marigold and Homeland Security's "Agents of the Visitation."
(see "Entering the Convent. The Orthodox Way."

[media]http://youtu.be/xmyukQ1-3ws[/media]

Am I correct in assuming that Orthodox nuns do not wear the scapular? It's a little hard to see in pictures.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1332654677' post='2407764']
Am I correct in assuming that Orthodox nuns do not wear the scapular? It's a little hard to see in pictures.
[/quote]

Many Latin communities also do not wear the scapular. The scapular was originally a monastic apron. I am not sure at what time the "apron" also became a sign of Mary's protection for the monk / nun but both Cictercian, Carmelite and Dominican communities had members who were visited by our Lady (in the middle ages) where she made promises regarding the wearing of the scapular / indicated that she would like it to be worn as part of the habit as a sign of her protection and of humility and modesty. Prior to this serfs who worked monastic land and who wanted to associate themselves with the monks and nuns would ask for some "token" from the holy brethren so they could show their allegiance. The monks would give them a piece of their apron. Thus the practice of the "little scapular" was born.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1332673671' post='2407807']
Can I ask what the music is?[/quote]

The singer is Divna Ljubojevic, the founder of the Melodi Choral Ensemble and the music is Russian chant from the album
"Our Lady, Mother of God." She is Serbian, from a devout family, and reportedly inspired at a very young age by the music she heard at a monastery. She has since then devoted herself to the study and performance of Byzantine chant.

Carmelshrimp

Music is indeed lovely. Thanks for telling us what it is - I just ordered it online. Hope you're on commission :hehe2:

Antigonos, mantellata is correct. The universal habit for Orthodox monastics is tunic, belt and headcovering. For women - veils, for men - a hat.

Clareni, thank you for making this beautiful video on my behalf! I really appreciate the gesture! I just returned from an exhausting but very fruitful - in many ways - weekend of pilgrimage to the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham with the extended parish family. Father sent out an appeal for donations on Friday and I've returned with £300 (about 450 USD) in my pockets. After months and months and months of emotional, spiritual and material drought, it is raining. And when it rains, it pours. Thank you again :heart:

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1332684377' post='2407866']
Many Latin communities also do not wear the scapular. The scapular was originally a monastic apron. I am not sure at what time the "apron" also became a sign of Mary's protection for the monk / nun but both Cictercian, Carmelite and Dominican communities had members who were visited by our Lady (in the middle ages) where she made promises regarding the wearing of the scapular / indicated that she would like it to be worn as part of the habit as a sign of her protection and of humility and modesty. Prior to this serfs who worked monastic land and who wanted to associate themselves with the monks and nuns would ask for some "token" from the holy brethren so they could show their allegiance. The monks would give them a piece of their apron. Thus the practice of the "little scapular" was born.
[/quote]

Very interesting. I had assumed that it derived from the Jewish practice of wearing a garment, something like a waist-length poncho -- a rectangle with a hole for the head -- which had ritual fringes at each of the corners, in compliance with the Biblical injunction. The fringes are twisted and knotted in a fashion that adds up to a total of 613 twists and knots, and that is the number of commandments in the Torah, so it is a visual reminder of them. All Orthodox men wear one, the ultra-Orthodox outside, other observant Jews under their shirts. Since one speaks of accepting the "yoke of the mitzvot", and the garment, commonly called "arba kanfot", is rather yoke-like, it is regarded as a sign that one is dedicated to ritual observance.

But of course, the origins of the scapular can be entirely different; I was speculating.

Carmelshrimp

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1332697347' post='2408052']
Antigonos, mantellata is correct. The universal habit for Orthodox monastics is tunic, belt and headcovering. For women - veils, for men - a hat.

Clareni, thank you for making this beautiful video on my behalf! I really appreciate the gesture! I just returned from an exhausting but very fruitful - in many ways - weekend of pilgrimage to the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham with the extended parish family. Father sent out an appeal for donations on Friday and I've returned with £300 (about 450 USD) in my pockets. After months and months and months of emotional, spiritual and material drought, it is raining. And when it rains, it pours. Thank you again :heart:
[/quote]
I love Walsingham too. Prayers and blessngs.

[quote name='Carmelshrimp' timestamp='1332691399' post='2407985'] Music is indeed lovely. Thanks for telling us what it is - I just ordered it online. Hope you're on commission :hehe2: [/quote]

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Sharing the knowledge of good sacred music is payment enough. The Orthodox tradition is superb but the West also has great treasure, particularly the music of Spain and Catalonia. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, the following is [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333][size=1]El canto de la Sibilla sung by Montserrat Figueras.[/size][/color][/font][/size]

[color=#333333][font=arial,sans-serif][size=2][size=1]*The Song of the Sibyl (Catalan El Cant de la Sibilla) is a liturgical drama and a Gregorian chant, the lyrics of which compose a[/size][/size][/font][font=Tahoma][font=arial,sans-serif][size=2][size=1] [/size][/size][/font][/font][font=arial,sans-serif][size=2][size=1]prophecy describing the Apocalypse, which has been performed at some churches of Mallorca (Balearic Islands, Spain) and L'Alguer or Alghero (Sardinia, Italy) in Catalan language on Christmas Eve nearly uninterrruptedly since medieval times.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

Sadly, Montserrat succumbed to cancer last year. The following is in memoriam and features her signature piece, Yo soy la locura.
I like to think she was welcomed into paradise by a really good angelic choir.

I will try again on the links for Montserrat Figuera

El Canto de la Sibilla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEUrPnQsI8
[size=4][font="arial, sans-serif"][color=#333333][size=1]The Song of the Sibyl (Catalan El Cant de la Sibilla) is a liturgical drama and a Gregorian chant, the lyrics of which compose a[/size][/color][/font][font="Tahoma"][color=#333333][font="arial, sans-serif"][size=1] [/size][/font][/color][/font][/size][font="arial, sans-serif"][color=#333333][size="2"][size=1][size=4]prophecy describing the Apocalypse, which has been performed at some churches of Mallorca (Balearic Islands, Spain) and L'Alguer or Alghero (Sardinia, Italy) in Catalan language on Christmas Eve nearly uninterrruptedly since medieval times[/size].[/size][/size][/color][/font]

Yo soy la locura
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62aTwCnb2eA

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1332702195' post='2408083']
Since one speaks of accepting the "yoke of the mitzvot", and the garment, commonly called "arba kanfot", is rather yoke-like, it is regarded as a sign that one is dedicated to ritual observance.

But of course, the origins of the scapular can be entirely different; I was speculating.
[/quote]

So very interesting, thank you! In my former community we always called the top part of the tunic that is attached to the skirt a "yoke" and certain the words of Christ in taking his yoke upon us for his burden is light come to mind. Whether or not any connection was carried over here it certainly is something worth remembering - it's nice to prayerfully make those connections when clothing oneself with a Religious habit. ...... I imagine Christ would have worn a similar garment....

Thank you!