An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convent Rules

Annie12

I was wondering about convent rules. I have heard of a few like kneeling while washing in the morning and saying a fault out loud to the community once a month (or something like that). So, while I do realize these are meant to help someone grow in humility among other things, do all convents adopt these practices or are they found mainly in cloistered life? I feel like I might break if presented with these things so I was just wondering what to expect. Am I completely off base with this question? Thanks and God bless! :saint2:

Lilllabettt

Those kind of practices are more popular in cloistered communities.
That said, most cloistered communities do not use them anymore. Some do.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1332975526' post='2409838']
Those kind of practices are more popular in cloistered communities.
That said,[b] [color=#800080]most cloistered communities do not use them anymore[/color].[/b] Some do.
[/quote]
Why is that? was that after Vatican II?

Lilllabettt

I would hesitate to put it down to "Vatican II." Vatican II does not go on about the chapter of faults or other practices. I would rather say it resulted from the general winds of change and reform that were prevailing at that time.

Every community had different traditions and rules. Even though things like Chapter of Faults seem more prevalent in cloistered congregations, I think many communities may have rules to encourage smaller mortifications.

Gemma_Kateri

I would say all convents have slightly differing rules. The Community I am applying to has a chance to ask forgiveness from the community every night. This is usually meant for things like missing prayer or the like.

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1332973859' post='2409828'] I feel like I might break if presented with these things so I was just wondering what to expect. [/quote]

I would not worry too much about it. You will slowly "grow" into it, I guess. As a guest / aspirant you might not even participate in some things and most probably the "rules" and the reasons for them will be explained to you as time comes. Nobody will expect you to be the perfect sister on your first day, on your first months, in the community.

At least this is what I experienced with my community.

[quote name='Gemma_Kateri' timestamp='1332993449' post='2409931']
I would say all convents have slightly differing rules. The Community I am applying to has a chance to ask forgiveness from the community every night. This is usually meant for things like missing prayer or the like.
[/quote]

For example, as Gemma_Kateris community, we each day have a possibility to as forgiveness from the community. Just not in the night, but in the morning. (Well of course one has compline at night to ask liturgically for forgiveness ;) - but to apologize in person)

And first I found it really weird to be there. But after a while I realized the beauty of it. As we do not only say our "faults" (mainly mistakes in liturgy, common life, or if you got a speeding ticket ;) ) but also for what we are grateful and thankful to each other, it really is a deep moment every day for me.
As an aspirant and - hopefully from next month on as a postulant - I do not have to say my "faults", no one expects me to do it. But it is very humbling just to be there.

And what is said, is not to be talked about again. So I think this really has also a very freeing psychological effect! At least for a person like me. ;) It is said, it is forgiven, it is over. Let s start anew.

Edited by juchu

I like what everyone has said on this topic.

I wouldn't worry too much about particular practices; when you find the right community, they will help you to love their traditions and customs. If you are called to their community, you will see what I mean.

Juchu, sounds like you will be entering a lovely, prayerful and charitable community!

I echo what the others have said - I think mostly it is contemplative communities that have retained some form of the 'chapter of faults' (or 'regular chapter' or 'asking forgiveness' - or whatever they call it), but many others (mostly the active ones) tended to move toward 'community meetings' - but there probably is a place for both in almost all of our lives.

As far as the Chapter/community meetings thing, the Moniales blog had a very good post on this a few years back....:

[url="http://www.monialesop.org/2006/08/regular-chapter-what-is-it.html"]http://www.monialeso...what-is-it.html[/url]

Interesting note on that link; when it was first posted, there was a comment (no longer showing on the link) that the person who had read the article wished they had this kind of a set up in her office, as she felt it would help to make them into a better work team! I could see what she meant... but.... myself, I wouldn't want to have that kind of self-emptying with people who weren't sharing the same vision of a loving, forgiving God at the heart of our lives lived in community... but that is just me!

I know on a parallel track, at one point the parish I attended offered a 'communal penance service' in addition to individual confessions, and all of us were encouraged to participate in the communal one with a focus on how we had injured the Community and people of God--even if we routinely sought out individual confession. I was a bit dubious at first, but after a few months, I could see the value. In a very real way we did grow closer... and more sensitive to eachother's needs and struggles. We prayed more for each other. Because of that I can see how that kind of a 'meeting' or 'chapter' could help people grow into a closer, more loving community.

Edited by AnneLine

Strictlyinkblot

Its like a foreign country, it takes time to learn all the new rules and customs but they will make allowances for you. When I did a live in a few years ago I was disappointed that I wasn't allow stand for my breakfast like the other nuns and I was told to eat cereal while they ate bread, it was a penance for Lent.

Chances are that if the community does have chapter of faults or something similar you won't be allowed to participate until after postulancy.

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1333005040' post='2409960']

Juchu, sounds like you will be entering a lovely, prayerful and charitable community!

[/quote]

Yes! :) :) :) :nun2:

Yes, in my community they ask forgiveness every night after Vespers. It never got easy...

Can't comment on the other things though :unsure:

I may be wrong about this (perhaps Marigold can correct me if I am) but I believe this practice originated in the East with the Desert Fathers. I know St. John Climacus (St. John the Ladder) talks about telling "faults" in his treatise "Ladder of Divine Ascent" and St. Benedict also mentions it. I am sure it would be difficult to do this nightly and there would need to be a balance, as one could get overly narcissitic with it, focusing so much on oneself. But I think it allows us to point the finger inward at ourselves instead of outward at others, which more often than not tends to be the human inclination! (I'm guilty!)

Yes, it's based on 'don't let the sun go down on your anger'. (Does someone with a better memory for chapter & verse remember where this is? Proverbs?) I agree that it's easy to get narcissistic if you're going to be detailing all your faults - I don't know about you, but I'd go around desperately trying to remember all the bad things I'd done that day! I love the way my community does it: you go up to each person and in turn say, forgive me a sinner, and then exchange kisses. The emphasis is on the forgiveness, not the fault. Incidentally this is how we start Lent - we have this rite in parishes on the eve of the 1st day of Lent.