Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is The Story/movie "the Hunger Games" So Addictive?


Recommended Posts

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1333321050' post='2411633']
Wait there's a movie too?
[/quote]

:| please tell me you're joking.

Posted

I've already seen it twice.

I'm a total fangirl.

I keep thinking about which character I should be for Halloween.






i am an embarassment to myself.

southern california guy
Posted

Another trailer. For those of us who can't get enough! :blush:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjPTnW7bYUQ&feature=related[/media]

Posted

[img]http://dailydoseoflies.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/untitled_51.png[/img]

southern california guy
Posted (edited)

[size=4][color="#231f20"]I was going to try and post an excerpt from the book "The Hunger Pains" but it didn't work so here's a link.[/color][/size]

[url="http://pages.simonandschuster.com/hungerpains/excerpt"]http://pages.simonandschuster.com/hungerpains/excerpt[/url]



[size=4][color=#000000][img]http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/8kvbxwzzsw1c5mru/images/12-69560b4b64.jpg[/img][/color][/size]

Edited by southern california guy
Posted

I don't very much like parodies simply because they use someone else's idea, trivialize anything important about it, and create a nice cash flow. Lame.

Even Twilight, which is a ridiculously pandering series, I wouldn't buy their parodies. You need to be a little more creative to get my monies.

southern california guy
Posted

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1333416577' post='2412154']
I don't very much like parodies simply because they use someone else's idea, trivialize anything important about it, and create a nice cash flow. Lame.

Even Twilight, which is a ridiculously pandering series, I wouldn't buy their parodies. You need to be a little more creative to get my monies.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think that I buy the parodies either, I just thought they were pretty funny. I haven't even read the whole first book The Hunger Games and I'm holding my breath waiting for it to come. What little I've read I really want to get it and read the whole series!

Posted

I don't know what's so addictive about it, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through the second book and I'm already dreading finishing the third.

Posted

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1333073665' post='2410479']
However I find The Hunger Games books and the movie much more addictive and I don't understand why.
[/quote]

Because the story is a metaphor for my life and thought and I am addictively compelling.

Basilisa Marie
Posted

[quote name='mcts' timestamp='1333437054' post='2412235']
I don't know what's so addictive about it, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through the second book and I'm already dreading finishing the third.
[/quote]

My two reactions to the end of Mockingay:

"DUDE NO WAY THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN"

"Huh, yeah, that does make sense for the characters."

^Two different events, lol.

Posted

I finished the second book yesterday.

I watched the movie after reading the book and it was OK. I think the casting was good except for Peeta. In the book, Peeta seems a little bit more heroic and not so wimpy like he's portrayed in the movie.

Posted

Oh, and for those wondering... yes, it is because of the second book that I completely skipped the annual "Screw the phorum up for April Fool's day" on Sunday.

You're welcome.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1333469095' post='2412323']
Oh, and for those wondering... yes, it is because of the second book that I completely skipped the annual "Screw the phorum up for April Fool's day" on Sunday.

You're welcome.
[/quote]

I was wondering....

missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1333469095' post='2412323']
Oh, and for those wondering... yes, it is because of the second book that I completely skipped the annual "Screw the phorum up for April Fool's day" on Sunday.

You're welcome.
[/quote]I was wondering. I missed it :(

Posted

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1333425590' post='2412198']
Yeah, I don't think that I buy the parodies either, I just thought they were pretty funny. I haven't even read the whole first book The Hunger Games and I'm holding my breath waiting for it to come. What little I've read I really want to get it and read the whole series!
[/quote]

oh the trailer is very funny, and the excerpts I read are likewise funny. Just don't wanna shell out my cashola :)

[quote name='mcts' timestamp='1333437054' post='2412235']
I don't know what's so addictive about it, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through the second book and I'm already dreading finishing the third.
[/quote]

lol that's how I felt! I couldn't put it down but didn't want it to end.

You don't even KNOW the crazy poo that is about to happen.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1333456525' post='2412273']
My two reactions to the end of Mockingay:

"DUDE NO WAY THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN"

"Huh, yeah, that does make sense for the characters."

^Two different events, lol.
[/quote]

The whole book was a total mindfloopy

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1333469022' post='2412319']
I watched the movie after reading the book and it was OK. I think the casting was good except for Peeta. In the book, Peeta seems a little bit more heroic and not so wimpy like he's portrayed in the movie.
[/quote]

I don't think he was wimpy in the movie, but I've heard other people say similar things. I wasn't thrilled with the casting of Gale, but I thought that both Katniss and Haymitch were spot on.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1333495117' post='2412493']
oh the trailer is very funny, and the excerpts I read are likewise funny. Just don't wanna shell out my cashola :)



lol that's how I felt! I couldn't put it down but didn't want it to end.

You don't even KNOW the crazy poo that is about to happen.



The whole book was a total mindfloopy



I don't think he was wimpy in the movie, but I've heard other people say similar things. I wasn't thrilled with the casting of Gale, but I thought that both Katniss and Haymitch were spot on.
[/quote]

I thought Katniss and Effie were spot on. I thought Peeta was a little weaker than he should have been. I'm hoping that with the next movie they show more of the strong-willed side of him. Did not like Gale's casting [i]at all[/i]. Cinna felt a little off, too. Haymitch should've been drunker. In the book our introduction to him was that he was drunk off his arse, which, I felt, gave even more weight to his efforts to sober up and save Katniss and Peeta. He seemed less drunk and more wiley in the movie. Not non-drunk, just less than I think he should have been. I think Woody Harrelson was a great fit, and could have pulled it off if they'd portrayed him exactly as he was in the book. But that's one of those little details that I tend to get nitpicky with. lol

Posted

I definitely enjoyed reading it, but I don't find it addictive at all.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1333559933' post='2412905']
I definitely enjoyed reading it, but I don't find it addictive at all.
[/quote]

Same. I read through them all very quickly because I wanted to know how the story ended. But I didn't reach fangirl status like Ice_nine. ;) I had the luxury of being able to read them all back to back because my husband had bought and read them a few months ago when he had an overnight shift at work. I didn't pick them up until he told me he was taking me to see the movie when it came out. I enjoyed them, I'll see the movie sequels, but I'm not addicted. More like interested.

Posted

Once I started reading it, I thought about it often. I would read it by myself and avoid freinds, family or noise so I could read. I would tell myself that I would just read a paragrah or two, but would read entire pages at a time. This went on for months. Sometimes, I wouldn't take out the garbage until I finished a chapter. Twice, I read an entire chapter on a Saturday morning, making my breakfast last for an hour, before I'd go work in the yard. One time, my wife grabbed the book while I was reading to give me a kiss before she left for the store and I was irritated. There has been some effect to my routine, eating habits, and relationships with others. Now that I've finished Mocking Jay, I've been clean for 71 days.

Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1333456525' post='2412273']
My two reactions to the end of Mockingay:

"DUDE NO WAY THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN"

"Huh, yeah, that does make sense for the characters."

^Two different events, lol.
[/quote]

Aww man, now I want to know. But I don't want to know. You know?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...