An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Long

Joan Marie Wandel

Joan Marie Wandel

Was wondering how long has everyone has been discerning?

For me since 2002, but now I'm discerning more.I'm going to visit Holy Spirit Missionary Sisters in May and I can't wait :nun2:

Seriously discerning? According to the Daisypath ticker on my blog it's been 4 months, 3 weeks and 1 day. That's since I started the blog and that was when I seriously started discerning after the thought had been on my mind for a few weeks. So about six months really.

Not-seriously discerning? Several years, on and off.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

A total of about four years, but there was a break between the first 3-ish years and the next 1 1/2-ish.

Seriously for about three years. I've been in contact with my community for two of those.

Prior to that, I believe a greater portion of my life was going around waiting, sometimes knowingly, and other times unknowingly, for a way to become a nun. Definitely since I was five or seven.

Strictlyinkblot

On and off for ten years (the Lord has been very patient with me). But I've only had a sense of peace about it since last June/July

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Joan Marie Wandel' timestamp='1333487268' post='2412438']
right now I'm looking at communities trying to find the right fit :)
[/quote]

I believe I have found the community that the Holy Spirit is calling me to, but I'm still trying to discern when I should enter because I'll be 29 in July and their cut-off age is 35. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to finish my Bachelor's before entering, but, if I have to get a student loan, I don't want to wait because I don't want debt preventing my entrance in the future.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1333487714' post='2412440']
I believe I have found the community that the Holy Spirit is calling me to, but I'm still trying to discern when I should enter because I'll be 29 in July and their cut-off age is 35. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to finish my Bachelor's before entering, but, if I have to get a student loan, I don't want to wait because I don't want debt preventing my entrance in the future.
[/quote]

Could you try for a scholarship of some kind? I don't know how such things work in the US.

How much longer have you got before you complete your degree?

Joan Marie Wandel

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1333487714' post='2412440']
[/quote]

what community?

Kayte Postle

Seriously discerning for a little over 4 months (aka once I started going to mass), not-seriously since I was in 4th/5th? grade, for awhile in high school I searched desperately for protestant nuns..... ah the Lord has such a sense of humor.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1333487924' post='2412442']
Could you try for a scholarship of some kind? I don't know how such things work in the US.

How much longer have you got before you complete your degree?
[/quote]

I have applied for financial aid from the government already, but I haven't been accepted to the university yet. I'm considering alternate options that would provide me with the same education but cheaper. The university I want to attend has the best program, though.

I will receive my Associates (2-year) degree next month and then I have about 2 years left until I get my Bachelor's.

[quote name='Joan Marie Wandel' timestamp='1333487927' post='2412443']
what community?
[/quote]

I'm actually keeping that a secret right now. ;)