An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Long

Joan Marie Wandel

Oh and I've been discerning with my community for a year. I have had an ad for half a year. Thinking about switching SDs because my SD is busy...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1333500089' post='2412516']
I have applied for financial aid from the government already, but I haven't been accepted to the university yet. I'm considering alternate options that would provide me with the same education but cheaper. The university I want to attend has the best program, though.

I will receive my Associates (2-year) degree next month and then I have about 2 years left until I get my Bachelor's.
[/quote]

Oh okay.
I'm not totally sure how the US education system works but would you have to do those 2 years to get your Bachelor's now or could you take a break and do them later?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1333532796' post='2412794']
Oh okay.
I'm not totally sure how the US education system works but would you have to do those 2 years to get your Bachelor's now or could you take a break and do them later?
[/quote]

I could do it later, however, I'm almost 29 and have been putting my education on hold while I figure out my life in the process. I feel like I've wasted so many years figuring things out. I'm just not sure what to do and that's why I'm hoping to get together with my priest after Easter to discuss it with him. I also would like to go to the Provincial House in the US to visit the Sisters in their convent. I may have to call the Provincial Superior after Easter to speak to her again. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1333534515' post='2412804']
I could do it later, however, I'm almost 29 and have been putting my education on hold while I figure out my life in the process. I feel like I've wasted so many years figuring things out. I'm just not sure what to do and that's why I'm hoping to get together with my priest after Easter to discuss it with him. I also would like to go to the Provincial House in the US to visit the Sisters in their convent. I may have to call the Provincial Superior after Easter to speak to her again. :)
[/quote]

I hope you figure it out, you'll be in my prayers.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1333534515' post='2412804']
[/quote]

*Unsolicited advice*
I feel like an Associate's degree is already a pretty good milestone, and I know from reading your posts that you've worked for it. If I was in your position, the only reason I would extend education for another 2 years is if the superior thought it was necessary.

Wishing you all the very best! Do keep us updated :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1333534859' post='2412807']
I hope you figure it out, you'll be in my prayers.
[/quote]

I can use all the prayers I can get, so thank you. ;)

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1333535039' post='2412809']
*Unsolicited advice*
I feel like an Associate's degree is already a pretty good milestone, and I know from reading your posts that you've worked for it. If I was in your position, the only reason I would extend education for another 2 years is if the superior thought it was necessary.

Wishing you all the very best! Do keep us updated :)
[/quote]

Thanks! It was VERY difficult getting my AA degree because I had depression and ADD throughout my college career. The ADD caused me to lose focus and change my major several times AND fail several classes due to inability to concentrate or simply not liking the subject (such as math and Spanish). But, the last few years, I've done VERY well in school, getting A's and B's, because I was put on the right medication and I have a much better relationship with God.

I really hope to get in contact with the Provincial Superior soon. My priest got my email so we should be setting up a time soon to meet. He wants to set me up with the psychologist to get a psychological exam for the order since they require it for everyone. The Provincial Superior stated that, even though I have medication needs, they will allow me to try out the life since it is well-controlled. My pastor introducing me to them was a HUGE help because he knows me very well from my work in the parish, so he was able to vouch for my reliability. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

Seriously for the past three years, but on and off before that since I was in elementary school.

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1333583125' post='2413075']
Since September 16, 2007 :paperbag:
[/quote]

I had dates... but then a lot of other dates happened.. I kind of forgot over time. All I remember: DYC 2010. Adoration. Boom.

Short answer: 1 1/2 - 5 years

I've discerned on and off since Lent 2007, and have been actively and seriously discerning since late 2010.
But I worried and fretted and over thought everything until I practically had a nervous breakdown, so I've very recently decided to take a break, back off a little bit, try to regain my peace, and see what happens. So at the moment, I'm not really discerning anything.

Lil'Monster

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1333587763' post='2413107']
Short answer: 1 1/2 - 5 years

I've discerned on and off since Lent 2007, and have been actively and seriously discerning since late 2010.
But I worried and fretted and over thought everything until I practically had a nervous breakdown, so I've very recently decided to take a break, back off a little bit, try to regain my peace, and see what happens. So at the moment, I'm not really discerning anything.
[/quote]

Except for pizza, tacos, cake, and cookies. :P

Sorry food is on my mind....lol