An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Your Non- Catholic Friends Feel

Joan Marie Wandel

Like I'm crazy.

Edit: Ok, so many of them think I'm crazy, but ultimately most of them are quite supportive.

Edited by Lisa

Most of my friends are non-Catholic (either agnostic, atheist or christian) and most also don't know. But of the ones that know of my discernment, I've had really mixed reactions.

The funniest opinion (though somewhat hurtful too) is from my non-practising Catholic housemate who is of the opinion that becoming a nun/sister means that I'm scared of (ahem) getting close to a guy! He didn't say this to my face, but one of my close friends told me. I don't think he's really listened to anything I've said about vocation before. I tend not to approach the topic with him now, which is probably for best.

The three non-Christian friends who know are 'fine with it.' They have the attitude that it is my life, so my decision. They are supportive of me in the way that they can best rationalise it, and non-judgemental too, which is really nice. I think the idea of being 'called' disturbs them though, as they can't really understand that its not a decision one makes for one's life. The submission to God and humility involved makes them think that people who enter are scared of God or something similar!

The last two friends who know are Christian (Protestant). They are both much more supportive and understanding and I discuss things about vocation most with them. One is a seminarian (high church of england) and so I often talk to him about problems with discernment. The other is my closest friend. She's an evangelical christian who is so supportive and jokes about how she'll have to fit bridesmaid dresses round a habit if Im allowed to her future wedding! :hehe2: These friends are truly heaven sent for me in my discernment because they make it so easy to discuss things, not just discernment wise but also about general faith-based things. God has truly blessed me with such great friends in my life :)

-PAX-

Joan Marie Wandel

You are very lucky to have some great friends :) some my friends just don't understand it. But I do have my church family who has very supportive :)

That's really interesting, emi77. I had exactly the same experience when I was discerning and entered back in the 80's. There wasn't anything like Phatmass then.... you can imagine how hard it was to find anyone to talk about this with!

My family and Catholic friends were.... not really supportive. They were happy for me but felt I could use my gifts for God without going into a convent.

My non Catholic friends for the most part were just happy and curious in a healthy and supportive way.

The Protestant friends saw it as entering the ministry and were thrilled for me....
And my Jewish landlord was SO happy and excited... he even helped me find a home for my cat... .at his house! :kitten:

And almost everyone was supportive when I discerned it was not my call... except some of my family and Catholic friends, who made it clear that 'it was bad enough that you went in, but at least you could have stayed there.' Gee... thanks for the support!

I don't think we can every make everyone happy... but generally it may take a while, but eventually, when they see you are happy, they come around. Hang in there, Joan....

Edited by AnneLine

Better and better! I was blessed to be part of two different discernment groups, one with the community I entered, and another with a community I discerned with at a later time, and finally made peace that God didn't want me to be a religious.

Both groups were a wonderful support...

...and when i got married, two of the people from those groups were my attendants.

I thought it was a wonderful way to tie it all up and have them accompany me into my next step into what God wanted from me... I hope you meet equally wonderful people on your journey!

Edited by AnneLine

Kayte Postle

The select few friends (meaning two..) have both been very supportive (one is also discerning, and the other is a luke warm protestant). My protestant friend asked so many questions, and was super excited, she even asked if she could come along with me when I visit the DSMME sisters in May!

I'm a bit nervous telling other non-catholic friends. Most of them are still having a difficult time accepting the fact that I want/am going to be catholic, not sure how they are going to react when I tell them of my discernment...

Joan Marie Wandel

I think it helps if you have friends who also are discerning because they know how you feel

elizabeth09

It might be a little hard on my friend. Mainly because we been getting together for about 6/7 years

MonjaFutura

My friends think it's kinda weird cuz they think that that means that Catholics don't believe that everyone has a soulmate. It's just a totally foreign concept to them! :nun2: <--maybe this is why noncatholics find vocations a special form of crazy!

LaPetiteSoeur

My really good friends are incredibly supportive and curious. I get tons of questions, and it usually results in some hilarious conversations.

Some of these friends are atheists/agnostics, others somewhat Episcopalians, and still others just not really anything.

None of them find it at all surprising (I think that's the word I'm looking for) and are so happy for me.

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

elizabeth09

Even when we are hanging around, who is a Catholic[font="'Segoe UI"][color="#575757"], I know that I have to tell her at some point about it. She might think that I am crazy.[/color][/font]

MissScripture

[quote name='MonjaFutura' timestamp='1333570773' post='2413008']
My friends think it's kinda weird cuz they think that that means that Catholics don't believe that everyone has a soulmate. It's just a totally foreign concept to them! :nun2: <--maybe this is why noncatholics find vocations a special form of crazy!
[/quote]
Tell them, yes we do all have a soulmate! His name is Jesus! :hehe: