An Old School Catholic Message Board

Me Gusta La Torta!

MonjaFutura

MonjaFutura

What was a really defining moment in your discernment?
P.S. brownie points if ya know what the title says!

Edited by MonjaFutura

MonjaFutura

very close but um... you can't eat turtles,... at least you shouldn't...it's like canibulism only worse...and they aren't sweet...you got the first part right!

Joan Marie Wandel

Well I don't know if this is a defining in discernment but the other night I was talking to a friend. Well she was asking what was new with me and I told her what going on, well I told her. Well she told that she isn't surprised about the fact that I'm discerning becoming a sister. She said I have the strongest faith of anyone she know and that I'm one of the reasons she went back to church

OnlySunshine

A really defining moment in my discernment was when I discovered I was not called to Carmel as I had originally thought. When I first started discerning, it was all about what I wanted and I fought God for a long time. I thought, "If you are calling me, then it has to be this and this and this..." It was not about discerning His will for my life. Once I got the wake up call that I was not in control, it really taught me a lesson in humility and I gave everything to God in prayer. I knew that if He wanted this of me, He would show me where He wanted me in due time and I need to exercise patience and complete trust. It took a while for that to sink in, but I really believe that I have learned my lesson now. He knows exactly what He is doing. The moment I "gave up", that's when my pastor got involved and introduced me to the Superior of the order I am discerning with now. I am not trying to learn everything about them -- that was a HUGE fault of mine. I would go with all the expectations of how the order was supposed to be and would be greatly disappointed. I just know the basics and I am leaving everything else to God. I am so much more happy than I was in the past. :love:

maximillion

[quote][color=#282828]A really defining moment in my discernment was when I discovered I was not called to Carmel as I had originally thought. When I first started discerning, it was all about what I wanted and I fought God for a long time. I thought, "If you are calling me, then it has to be this and this and this..."[/color][/quote]

Snap!!!!

'I have a vocation and its to Carmel' I said to HIM!!!!!
For about 18 mths I went around looking at all the Carmels ( there were more then in the UK), until my priest friend sort of SD said
"You have been to them all, when are you going to realise you are not attracted to any of them and start thinking about where God might want you, instead of where you want to serve Him?"

In that same week a sister I knew sent me some information about the community in France which I eventually entered. (Sacred Heart)

I think every young girl with a vocation, who has read Story of a Soul, begins to think she wants to be a Carmelite. St. Therese highlights and accentuates all the beauty contained in the charism. It is hard [i]not[/i] to want to be a Carmelite after experiencing that pure joy along with Therese.

Since I didn't get to know Therese until after I was a religious for 3 years my first thoughts in discernment led me to believe I ought to be a Poor Clare. [i]A Right to be Merry [/i] had landed on my lap and I devoured it. I think Mother Mary Francis PCC did for the Colletines what St. Therese did for the Carmelites..... and that is paint an irresistible picture in words leaving the heart with a strong desire for heaven.

Which makes me laugh, because 10 years later it is obvious-as-all-get-out that I'm 110% Dominican! Which leads me to present to you the lovely work of Father Philipon OP [i][b]Dominican Soul[/b] [/i][url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/OP-SOUL.TXT"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/OP-SOUL.TXT[/url] If it grabs your heart as it did mine, maybe you want to come consider life in black and white with me! :clapping:

I've actually never felt called to Carmel. Got nothing against the Order, and like them a lot. But I've been Franciscan with a dash of Dominican since I was seven.

A defining moment in my discernment? Well...that's difficult. Um....

Might have been when I decided to give up on compromising with God, forget Third Orders, and actually discern religious life.
Might have been when I broke up with my boyfriend to discern.
Might have been when I met the SsEWs.