An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advice For Possibly Beginning Discernment?

sixpence

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1333981458' post='2414812']
Unfortunately, that will probably end when the undergrads leave in May :(
[/quote]

I feel your pain. Weekly Adoration by my campus ends with the undergrads leaving as well...but at least I can drive about twenty minutes further and get to it.

HopefulBride

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1333976594' post='2414783']
Thanks for all the advice guys!! :)

Yes, this is something I need to take into consideration; through my own failure I had not even given any thought to becoming a religious until just this past month or two, and I am currently in a rather long term relationship. I told him recently that I was curious about discernment, but I don't think he realized how serious I was (I will rectify this soon). At this point, before I have even really talked to anyone about this or spent time much time looking into it, or praying about it, I think it would be rather hasty to throw away this good relationship when I still think I could be called to married life. If feel that as long as he is well informed about all this, it is ok for now. Has anyone else been through anything similar?

PS~I am usually good at teknologees and the internetz, so this is embarrassing, but can someone finally please tell me how to use the multiquote?? :P
[/quote]

Sixpence,

I will keep you in my prayers. It is difficult to stop a budding relationship so I can imagine it being harder on a long-term relationship. I would echo what everyone else said. Sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament (don't necessarily have to do or say anything, just sit there) and continue to do all you can to receive Christ in the Eucharist as often as possible, go to frequent confession and be sure to get with an SD.

Honestly, the very first thing my old SD told me to do was to get "introduction to the devout life" it was the BEST book EVER that I've read (as far as discernment help). In fact I am re-reading it again. What is great about it is that St. Francis work doesn't focus on discerners to the RL but rather on helping those who wish to deepen their spiritual life. He helps you translate that to your way of living (at least that's what I got out of it) I would also suggest reading discernment of Spirits by Fr. Gallagher. In fact, whatever of that man's that yo see [b]buy it[/b] cause it's good. A few months ago I found myself having to discern between two wonderful communities, it was the Lord's way of having me fight for my vocation I think, and my current SD handed that book to me and it was just the thing I needed.

oh about multiquotes. Next to quotes you will see the tab for multiquotes, click on it. You'll see a new bar appear to the right indicating how many posts you've selected. Continue along and select whatever other posts you want to quote by clicking the multiquote again and you will see that the count rises. Once you've selected all of your quotes, click on the count and voila!

Kayte Postle

Like everyone else has said, frequent the sacraments. Find time for silence in adoration, the Lord often speaks to us in a whisper, so we have to separate ourselves from the "noise" of the world long enough for Him to speak. For me personally the rosary has also begun make a big difference in my discernment (Mother Mary is reaaaaallly good at her job. ;)), saying it as little as once a week will draw you closer to Christ. I know someone already posted a link, but the vision network site is a great starting point if you want to look at communities, and of course roaming around here on VS is a big help.

Discernment is growing close to Christ in all ways, wanting His will, and discovering who exactly He made you to be. If you are actively seeking Him, He will show you the rest. =) Good luck and I will be praying for you!

Edited by Kayte Postle

Autumn Dusk

Also.

How long have you been dating. If it's been 6-18 months you may be going through a sort of "Grass is greener" phaze. Be aware that nothing is perfect and that no order is without it's own flaws.

Remember that there are four ways we get input.
1)from God
2) from ourselves, internally
3) from ourselves, externally (the burrito you ate last night, friends, media)
4) from the devil

Adoration, sacraments may help us get close to God, but remember that that there is something that ACTIVLY tries to destroy our happiness. And becuase the devil has watched us our whole lives they know just the things that will tempt us...including religious life.

LaPetiteSoeur

1. Pray: prayer is the backbone of faith and of discernment. It is always helpful.
2. Find a spiritual director: this can be a priest, religious sister, or layperson. Since you are discerning, possibly a priest or sister would be best. They are "faith companions" (as my SD likes to call himself) and are great guides in life and discernment.
3. Frequent sacraments
4. Find a religious order nearby and get involved. Even though I am pretty sure I'm called to be a Franciscan, I work with the CSJs in their ministries. I have made some wonderful friends and guides this way!
5. really take some quiet time and think. See if you can go on a weekend retreat somewhere quiet. Spend it in contemplation and in the silence, there could be answers.
:nunpray:

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1333982869' post='2414825']

Honestly, the very first thing my old SD told me to do was to get "introduction to the devout life" it was the BEST book EVER that I've read (as far as discernment help).

oh about multiquotes. Next to quotes you will see the tab for multiquotes, click on it. You'll see a new bar appear to the right indicating how many posts you've selected. Continue along and select whatever other posts you want to quote by clicking the multiquote again and you will see that the count rises. Once you've selected all of your quotes, click on the count and voila!
[/quote]
Thank you!! Hopefully the discernment advice is as good as you multiquote advice! :P

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' timestamp='1333993125' post='2414966']

How long have you been dating. If it's been 6-18 months you may be going through a sort of "Grass is greener" phaze. Be aware that nothing is perfect and that no order is without it's own flaws.
[/quote]

Don't worry, I am well beyond the "rose-tinted glasses" phase AND the "grass is greener" phase by about 2 years :P

NEXT QUESTION:
I don't have an SD, how do I find a good one? Is there a list of them somewhere? lol

HopefulBride

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1334079341' post='2415401']
NEXT QUESTION:
I don't have an SD, how do I find a good one? Is there a list of them somewhere? lol
[/quote]

Before selecting my first SD I took it to prayer (I know the advices on prayer might seem redundant but trust me they are true) I actually didn't want my SD because I knew him personally but the Holy Spirit had plans. Fr. S was the best thing for me during these two years. When he was getting transferred to another parish I wanted to go and find my own SD and I had my own idea too about who it would be, but again the Holy Spirit had ideas and through the wisdom of Fr. S. he spoke to me.

I remember when Fr. S said he had someone for me and then gave me the name of my current SD (Fr. C) I was like I don't know the man...... don't even know what he looked like. Turns out that I had been to confession to him once during penance service and I truly loved his advice and feedback so it was perfect. I can honestly say it's been great having him as an SD, I speak to other priests from time to time to get some feedback and I can see now that Fr. C is just the person who needed to guide me through the last difficult months.

All this to say pray about it and then approach whomever you feel the Lord pushing you toward. You can also ask someone whom you trust, a priest etc. and see if they may have any suggestions.

I will keep you in prayers with the other discerning VSers.

Pax,
HB