PhuturePriest Posted April 15, 2012 Author Posted April 15, 2012 [quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1334448255' post='2417903'] I dunno about moving to Ireland.... from what I hear from a priest friend who went back home on a visit, it is a very hard place to be a Catholic and even more to be a priest right now... so many are hurt and angry.... it would require a STRONG ability to take anger and insults without responding back. And in much of Europe, the society is as secularized or more secularized than our own. I think we need to take St. Therese's reflections on her own community as a guide on this one.... she entered a community that wasn't perfect, wasn't all that fervent, and that had nuns (and a superior!) who were far from what one would expect in a Carmel. I recall a priest commenting that, "If they knew what was going on in here, they would close this place down." And yet St. Therese found it a place where she could achieve great sanctity by doing little things with great love right where she was. Now THAT is a standard I can try to follow..... [/quote] I've had it with tornadoes. The U.S. has more tornadoes than any other country by far, and I honestly don't know why anyone would willingly live here. It may be tough to live in Ireland, but they are slowly rebuilding it. It is still in the patching process, but it is getting better. Besides, if there is persecution it's simply better for me. Didn't Jesus say something about that being great in the Beatitudes? To top everything off, I'm not going to let secularists destroy the motherland. It is over 90% Catholic and that's going to be the low point if I have anything to do with it.
PhuturePriest Posted April 15, 2012 Author Posted April 15, 2012 [quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1334332537' post='2417025'] At least you didn't have to fight through estrogen fog, amirite? [/quote] MIkolbe, put Winchester back in his cage. I would but he bites and I suspect he has rabies.
Lilllabettt Posted April 15, 2012 Posted April 15, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334506504' post='2418170'] The U.S. has more tornadoes than any other country by far, and I honestly don't know why anyone would willingly live here. [/quote] Lol. If you are honestly curious, I can have my students write you letters. Many of them risked life and limb to get here. Weather doesn't scare them - the chance that they would have to leave this country scares them. We are in the heart of Tornado Alley btw. There are pros and cons to living here. But that's life this side of heaven.
Vincent Vega Posted April 15, 2012 Posted April 15, 2012 I hear there aren't many tornadoes in Boston or Seattle or Denver or Atlanta or Phoenix or San Diego or Chicago. Too bad those aren't part of the US.
Vincent Vega Posted April 15, 2012 Posted April 15, 2012 Besides, wouldn't there be more to be said about converting a huge, historically (non/anti) Catholic country to Catholicism, rather than just hanging out with a bunch of people who already were Catholic? Jesus said go make disciples of all nations, not stay here and chill with the people who already think exactly like you do.
Archaeology cat Posted April 15, 2012 Posted April 15, 2012 As much as I love England, I did miss real thunderstorms when I was there. And yes, there are plenty f places in the US that don't have tornadoes. There are ups and downs anywhere you live - there's no perfect place outside Heaven. I do hate tornadoes, though. The worst I've been through was an F3, I think. I don't envy you, Miles, and understand your hatred of tornadoes. God bless
PhuturePriest Posted April 16, 2012 Author Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334509823' post='2418186'] I hear there aren't many tornadoes in Boston or Seattle or Denver or Atlanta or Phoenix or San Diego or Chicago. Too bad those aren't part of the US. [/quote] Seattle has high suicide rates, plus it has mudslides and earthquakes. Boston is way too big for me, I never liked Denver, Atlanta is in the south, ergo it is really hot and has tons of tornadoes, Pheonix is way too hot, San Diego has earthquakes and, once again, is too big, and simply walking into Chicago as a Conservative is a death-sentence.
PhuturePriest Posted April 16, 2012 Author Posted April 16, 2012 And all of that is opposed to my beloved Ireland. The hottest it gets there is seventy, there's rarely bad storms there, it's absolutely beautiful, and the people there are a lot nicer.
r2Dtoo Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334534533' post='2418355'] Atlanta is in the south, ergo it is really hot and has tons of tornadoes.[/quote] Atlanta is hardly tornado alley. [quote]Pheonix is way too hot[/quote] Do you know what "dry heat" is? It doesn't feel that bad at all. You sound like a typical 15 year old crybaby. You have yet to learn that nowhere is perfect. Every area has it's problems and it's highlights.
Vincent Vega Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334534533' post='2418355'] Seattle has high suicide rates, plus it has mudslides and earthquakes. Boston is way too big for me, I never liked Denver, Atlanta is in the south, ergo it is really hot and has tons of tornadoes, Pheonix is way too hot, San Diego has earthquakes and, once again, is too big, and simply walking into Chicago as a Conservative is a death-sentence. [/quote] How about Nashville or Charlotte? West Virginia? Little Rock? [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334534614' post='2418357'] And all of that is opposed to my beloved Ireland. The hottest it gets there is seventy, there's rarely bad storms there, it's absolutely beautiful, and the people there are a lot nicer. [/quote] You've been? Also, feel free to respond to my other (more salient) post.
PhuturePriest Posted April 16, 2012 Author Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334512807' post='2418209'] Besides, wouldn't there be more to be said about converting a huge, historically (non/anti) Catholic country to Catholicism, rather than just hanging out with a bunch of people who already were Catholic? Jesus said go make disciples of all nations, not stay here and chill with the people who already think exactly like you do. [/quote] The Catholics in Ireland are hardly charming to the Faith. There is a huge Priest scandal there and even the seal of Confession is under attack by the government.
PhuturePriest Posted April 16, 2012 Author Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1334534936' post='2418361'] Atlanta is hardly tornado alley. Do you know what "dry heat" is? It doesn't feel that bad at all. You sound like a typical 15 year old crybaby. You have yet to learn that nowhere is perfect. Every area has it's problems and it's highlights. [/quote] There are two: One in the Midwest and one in the south. Atlanta has hurricanes and tornadoes all the time. I do realize no place is perfect, and I do realize Ireland has problems. But compared to the United States Ireland is Buckingham Palace.
Vincent Vega Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 For the record: [quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1334534936' post='2418361'] Atlanta is hardly tornado alley. [/quote] [quote name='Fulton County Georgia Tornado Stats since 1954'][color=#000000]Fulton County Tornadoes[/color] DEC 05, 1954 025 1730 1 40 F2 121 MAY 20, 1965 007 1415 0 3 F0 121 MAY 18, 1966 012 1700 0 0 F0 121 JAN 10, 1972 002 1025 1 9 F3 121 MAY 27, 1973 017 2330 0 0 F3 121 MAR 13, 1975 009 1700 0 0 F1 121 MAR 13, 1975 011 1930 0 1 F1 121 MAR 24, 1975 015 0528 3 152 F3 121 MAY 14, 1976 011 1700 0 0 F1 121 MAR 17, 1982 002 1205 0 0 F0 121 DEC 03, 1983 022 2100 0 0 F2 121 MAY 03, 1984 026 1330 0 0 F1 121 APR 05, 1985 004 1910 0 0 F1 121 NOV 15, 1989 036 1831 0 0 F2 121 NOV 15, 1989 038 1849 0 7 F2 121 FEB 10, 1990 008 0510 0 0 F1 121 [color=#000000]MAY 28, 1990 017 1250 0 0 F0 121 [/color][/quote] There have been 4 tornado related deaths since 1954 in Atlanta. There have been at least 5 deaths related to the MARTA since 2000. ([url="http://atlantainjurynewsblog.com/2011/01/family-of-ruben-hand-files-lawsuit-against-marta.html"]http://atlantainjurynewsblog.com/2011/01/family-of-ruben-hand-files-lawsuit-against-marta.html[/url], [url="http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/auditors-raise-marta-safety-1319539.html"]http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/auditors-raise-marta-safety-1319539.html[/url], [url="http://www.examiner.com/public-safety-in-atlanta/medical-examiner-seeks-help-identifying-man-who-died-at-marta-station"]http://www.examiner.com/public-safety-in-atlanta/medical-examiner-seeks-help-identifying-man-who-died-at-marta-station[/url], [color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]Ippolito, Milo (December 5, 2001). "MARTA pays $10.5 million in workers' deaths". [/size][/font][/color][i]Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/i][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3].)[/size][/font][/color] [color=#000000]So really, if you need a reason to be scared of moving to Atlanta, you should be at least 125% as afraid as dying by subway as by tornado.[/color]
Vincent Vega Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334535832' post='2418376'] I do realize no place is perfect, and I do realize Ireland has problems. But compared to the United States Ireland is Buckingham Palace. [/quote] So the US government is also attacking the seal of the confessional? Or worse..?
r2Dtoo Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334535727' post='2418375'] The Catholics in Ireland are hardly charming to the Faith. There is a huge Priest scandal there and even the seal of Confession is under attack by the government. [/quote] You think these are the only problems in Ireland?
Vincent Vega Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]"FEWER THAN one in five Catholics attend Mass on any given Sunday in Dublin with many young people only retaining a marginal interest in religion, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has said."[/left][/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][url="http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0530/1224298059533.html"]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0530/1224298059533.html[/url][/left][/size][/font][/color] [color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left][color=#282828] So which is it? Do you want to go to Ireland because it's easy to be a Catholic there or hard to be a Catholic there? You seem to be changing your tune a lot.[/color][/left][/size][/font][/color]
Archaeology cat Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334534614' post='2418357'] And all of that is opposed to my beloved Ireland. The hottest it gets there is seventy, there's rarely bad storms there, it's absolutely beautiful, and the people there are a lot nicer. [/quote]And it rains all the time and you may or may not get a summer (says the person who lived in Liverpool and maybe had 2 weeks of summer at least one of the years). Don't get me wrong, what I saw of Ireland is beautiful, but don't make the mistake of putting it on a pedestal. Love it for what it is, warts and all, but make sure the picture you have is realistic. Also, you mentioned the suicide rate in Seattle. Pretty sure Ireland has high suicide rates, too, if I remember correctly from my Irish history class. The Monsignor in my parish is Irish and laments the state of Ireland right now.
Autumn Dusk Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 Boston is a city, but its a small city. Expensive...but has a phenominal employment rate for high skilled labor. Decent Catholic scene especally for traddys and decent metro area. Just make sure you dont rent east of boston...its a tricky commute
Archaeology cat Posted April 16, 2012 Posted April 16, 2012 There are also small towns all over CO, WA, MT, etc, it doesn't have o be Dnver or Seattle.
PhuturePriest Posted April 16, 2012 Author Posted April 16, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334535938' post='2418380'] For the record: There have been 4 tornado related deaths since 1954 in Atlanta. There have been at least 5 deaths related to the MARTA since 2000. ([url="http://atlantainjurynewsblog.com/2011/01/family-of-ruben-hand-files-lawsuit-against-marta.html"]http://atlantainjury...inst-marta.html[/url], [url="http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/auditors-raise-marta-safety-1319539.html"]http://www.ajc.com/n...ty-1319539.html[/url], [url="http://www.examiner.com/public-safety-in-atlanta/medical-examiner-seeks-help-identifying-man-who-died-at-marta-station"]http://www.examiner....t-marta-station[/url], [color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]Ippolito, Milo (December 5, 2001). "MARTA pays $10.5 million in workers' deaths". [/size][/font][/color][i]Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/i][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3].)[/size][/font][/color] [color=#000000]So really, if you need a reason to be scared of moving to Atlanta, you should be at least 125% as afraid as dying by subway as by tornado.[/color] [/quote] Either way, I still hate the heat. I cannot stand the heat. Nice and cold is where I'm comfortable. I wouldn't complain if hot days were seventy degrees.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now