An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best Vocation Advice Ever

marigold

[i]"If you feel that your life is fulfilled by joining a monastery then you should do it, but if you have any doubts then you need to sort these out first and then decide.[/i]

[i]The best thing is to go to a monastery and stay there a while. If you feel monastic life tires you, this is natural, it's supposed to be physically hard but you get used to it. If you are having second thoughts about becoming a nun and feel mentally and spiritually drained, then this is not natural, for someone who is truly called to become a nun; it means you have to try harder to get married."[/i]

:)

That IS wonderful advice... and I am going to keep is squirrled away!

Not sure about the married part... but it would give me a sense that if someone is not at peace and increasingly not at peace... .they don't have a vocation here....

Edited by AnneLine

Hmmm. What about St Teresa?

[i]Though I could not bend my will to be a nun, I saw that the religious state was the best and the safest. And thus, by little and little, I resolved to force myself into it.[/i]

[...]

[i]I remember perfectly well, and it is quite true, that the pain I felt when I left my father's house was so great, that I do not believe the pain of dying will be greater--for it seemed to me as if every bone in my body were wrenched asunder; [3] for, as I had no love of God to destroy my love of father and of kindred, this latter love came upon me with a violence so great that, if our Lord had not been my keeper, my own resolution to go on would have failed me. But He gave me courage to fight against myself, so that I executed my purpose.[/i]

This was after she'd done an eighteen-month "live-in".

:beer:

Theresita Nerita

Not to totally get in a St Teresa quote-war (I heart phatmass for being a place where we can do this!) but I do totally get what you mean, Berenike! ut elsewhere she says:

[i]Let them be prepared to allow them to marry far beneath their
stations rather than put them into convents of this kind, unless they are very
devoutly inclined -- and God grant that their inclinations may lead them into what
is good! Otherwise they will do better to keep them at home; for there, if they want
to be wicked, they cannot long hide their wickedness, whereas in convents it can be
hidden for a very long time indeed, until, in the end, it is revealed by the Lord.[/i]

Which is basically backing up the idea that it's not always "safer" to be a nun - I guess maybe Teresa thought it was safer, before she entered, but after decades of convent life realized basically what Marigold's quote said - that it's not always a safer road unless you're really called to it. ?

Also,

[i]At the time my entrance into this new life gave me a joy so great that it has never failed me even to
this day, and God converted the aridity of my soul into the deepest tenderness.
Everything connected with the religious life caused me delight; and it is a fact that
sometimes, when I was spending time in sweeping floors which I had previously
spent on my own indulgence and adornment, and realized that I was now free from
all those things, there came to me a new joy, which amazed me, for I could not
understand whence it arose.[/i]

So, that implies that even though she experienced repugnance before she entered, she experienced spiritual peace as soon as she entered. But I do totally agree that sometimes at the point of making a big decision, spiritual dryness or discomfort can be a temptation to back away from religious life, not a sign that you're not called. Sounds like Teresa was definitely beset by the devil who saw what good she would do...if you don't mind my very 16th century interpretation of the situation. :)

Berenike & TN, I like the quotes from both of you. The floor sweeping thing - I've had that same experience! :)

The quoted writer wasn't dismissing the difficult stuff & decisions that can surround entry to a convent. But I felt like it cut through a lot of the croutons that we find ourselves up against, especially 'Should I, shouldn't I?'

Laptop keyboard's not working so typing on on-screen keys. Posting may be thin on the ground, prolly not a bad thing! :pinch:

PhuturePriest

Hm... I think this is somewhat good advice, but I don't think discerning marriage is necessary if you don't feel called to one Convent/Monastery. After all, you could just be called to a different Convent/Monastery, rather than a different vocation itself.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334674286' post='2419386']
Hm... I think this is somewhat good advice, but I don't think discerning marriage is necessary if you don't feel called to one Convent/Monastery. After all, you could just be called to a different Convent/Monastery, rather than a different vocation itself.
[/quote]

Definitely. But if one keeps trying and it keeps not working - in a practical, living the everyday life way - then 'one' might think about taking a hint. I believe the surest evidence, maybe even the only evidence, of a 'calling' is when you live the life and it brings spiritual fruit. However we do also see cases of unusual perseverance, not least our own nunsense, where continuing to try bears fruit.

May God grant us both perseverance!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1334676208' post='2419404']
Definitely. But if one keeps trying and it keeps not working - in a practical, living the everyday life way - then 'one' might think about taking a hint. I believe the surest evidence, maybe even the only evidence, of a 'calling' is when you live the life and it brings spiritual fruit. However we do also see cases of unusual perseverance, not least our own nunsense, where continuing to try bears fruit.

May God grant us both perseverance!
[/quote]

Of course. I think I [i]may [/i]get that idea after I visit my tenth Community, but knowing me I'll probably visit about twenty before I think "Hm... Perhaps I'm not called to be a Friar... I know! I'll start visiting Monasteries!" :P

Oh yes, he can be my guest. Sometimes I just think "Is doing all this school work worth it?" Those days are usually days like today. He can most certainly give me some perseverance if he likes. And perhaps the answer to this stupid equation! Perhaps listening to U2 isn't helping?

Kayte Postle

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334674286' post='2419386']
[/quote]

Not meaning to nitpick, but on this same note I don't think that discerning marriage alone is necessary if you discern out/aren't called to religious life. I know for me personally, that while I love the sacrament of marriage and children, I know very much that the Lord isn't calling me to it. I am to be single, in whatever capacity He calls me. =)

Anywho, thank you marigold for sharing this quote! "[i]If you are having second thoughts about becoming a nun and feel mentally and spiritually drained, then this is not natural," <-- [/i][i]this I love! [/i]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1334677886' post='2419428']
Not meaning to nitpick, but on this same note I don't think that discerning marriage alone is necessary if you discern out/aren't called to religious life. I know for me personally, that while I love the sacrament of marriage and children, I know very much that the Lord isn't calling me to it. I am to be single, in whatever capacity He calls me. =)

Anywho, thank you marigold for sharing this quote! "[i]If you are having second thoughts about becoming a nun and feel mentally and spiritually drained, then this is not natural," <-- [/i][i]this I love! [/i]
[/quote]

Oh, you never know. God may have called you to love an annoying guy. You'll just have to wait and pray this isn't so. :P

Kayte Postle

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334678082' post='2419429']
Oh, you never know. [b]God may have called you to love an annoying guy.[/b] You'll just have to wait and pray this isn't so. :P
[/quote]

Hahaha. that part just made my day.

SoonerCatholic

This quote reminds me of an a comment I made to the vocation director during my live in with their Carmelite community. We had just finish hosting a Mass and dinner for a group of international seminarians from a near by seminary and we were all quite exhausted. We had about an hours rest before Vespers and we followed the normal schedule for the rest of the evening. Later I told the vd that although I was tired enough to go straight to bed for the rest of the day, slipping into the regular schedule actually felt quite refreshing. She said that was a good sign! It is part of the reason I hope to enter that community.