An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fear And Discernment

Strictlyinkblot

Holding you in prayer. As a saintly priest once told me, if God wants you in _______, nothing on earth will keep you out; if God does NOT want you in ______, nothing on earth will get you in. So be at peace and move forward courageously!

Ironically 2 days ago I saw a movie with a great thought... it was 'So We Bought a Zoo" --

one of the characters pointed out his brother had given him some great advice: You don't need a lot of courage - you only need about 20 seconds of courage' The idea is the hard moment is that moment when you SEND THE EMAIL. Just do it. In other words,.you just need to drive the 'courageous' car for about 20 seconds....

Just DO it! The HOly Spirit will be with you! Whatever the answer, you need it to go forward. So Just Do It and be at peace!

Praying....

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335388316' post='2423350']
Holding you in prayer. As a saintly priest once told me, if God wants you in _______, nothing on earth will keep you out; if God does NOT want you in ______, nothing on earth will get you in. So be at peace and move forward courageously!

Ironically 2 days ago I saw a movie with a great thought... it was 'So We Bought a Zoo" --

one of the characters pointed out his brother had given him some great advice: You don't need a lot of courage - you only need about 20 seconds of courage' The idea is the hard moment is that moment when you SEND THE EMAIL. Just do it. In other words,.you just need to drive the 'courageous' car for about 20 seconds....

Just DO it! The HOly Spirit will be with you! Whatever the answer, you need it to go forward. So Just Do It and be at peace!

Praying....
[/quote]

This. The saddest / most unexpected thing I've had friends say to me about deciding to enter a monastery is how envious they are that I've had the courage and sticking power to choose one thing and dedicate myself to it. My best friend said, 'it's what everyone wants to do but is too scared to'. Possibly the most depressing thing about our generation.

So let's start praying for 20 seconds of courage for EVERYONE. If I was a lil' devil, THAT would terrify me. Let the praying begin!!!! :)

I had so much fear in telling my parents about my vocation. I didn't know why I was scared but I was. I was so terrified that I almost cried out of fear when I was trying to spit it out. I can tell that since I had no reason to be that way it must have been the king of lies who instiled fear in me. The funny thing about it was everyone was fine with it! I had gotten so worked up that I had kept it to myself for 3 years!! lol!

[center][color=#ff0000]BOTTOM LINE: FEAR IS USELESS! (unless you are running from a lion)[/color][/center]

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1335391295' post='2423368']
I had so much fear in telling my parents about my vocation. I didn't know why I was scared but I was. I was so terrified that I almost cried out of fear when I was trying to spit it out. I can tell that since I had no reason to be that way it must have been the king of lies who instiled fear in me. The funny thing about it was everyone was fine with it! I had gotten so worked up that I had kept it to myself for 3 years!! lol!

[center][color=#FF0000]BOTTOM LINE: FEAR IS USELESS! (unless you are running from a lion)[/color][/center]
[/quote]

Fear IS pretty useless when it comes to God.

It took me two whole years to get up the nerve to 'come out' to my parents. It was round the dinner table like all deep discussions. I swear I nearly vomited into my soup. Better out than in though - both vomit and nunly aspirations :)

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335392758' post='2423373']

Fear IS pretty useless when it comes to God.

It took me two whole years to get up the nerve to 'come out' to my parents. It was round the dinner table like all deep discussions. I swear I nearly vomited into my soup. Better out than in though - both vomit and nunly aspirations :)
[/quote]

I had tried to tell her 'round the dinner table but I was staring at my favorite food and the nerves made it look yucky! So, I forgot about telling her then but the second time around went much better!

Strictlyinkblot

Isn't it amazing how we torture ourselves! Most of the time its not nearly as bad as we imagine its going to be. As Dr. Phil says (so shoot me, I like him) 'They can kill you but they can't eat you'

Strictlyinkblot

Oops, double post.

My new favourite prayer from St. Colette

As God pleases, as God wills

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

No reply yet. Yes, I know its only been three days. When I looked on the website I found that they've only just had a new postulant enter which is probably why I haven't heard anything. Must admit I'm jealous. I love that they have a little ceremony for the entrance, most places don't seem to anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Strictlyinkblot

I got a very nice reply from the community but... I don't know if God is shoving me in another direction or telling me to give up on religious life. I keep hitting obstacles.I know I said too much last year about my discernment but I can't take it back now.

I'm so sorry the reply didn't go as you had hoped. Of course, it's up to you and God, but I think you've had some positive responses from "people who know" that could encourage you to keep moving forward with a religious vocation. AnneLinne's favorite quote comes to mind about how if it's God's will for you, nothing will keep you out (and vice versa). If there's still attraction and hope, be bold in trying to follow his will! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

:buddies:

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1336724780' post='2429701']
I got a very nice reply from the community but... I don't know if God is shoving me in another direction or telling me to give up on religious life. I keep hitting obstacles.I know I said too much last year about my discernment but I can't take it back now.
[/quote]

I do not know what you said exactly, but you can't be the first person to have 'overshared' in the midst of your excitement and happiness. If this is going to be a significant obstacle for you with that community, perhaps it is time to consider another?

Strictlyinkblot

I think its time for 'Pray, Hope and Don't Worry' (St. Pio). Lisa, I'll pm you tomorrow, I'm about to go to work. It'll either work out but it won't. Like Scarlett I think about it tomorrow. :covereyes: