An Old School Catholic Message Board

Article: David Cameron's Ex Becomes Nun

marigold

At Regina Laudis! She was a high-flying executive, although that seems to have been made rather less of than having dated the Prime Minister... She reminds me of Philippa in In This House of Brede! :)

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136713/David-Camerons-lover-Laura-Adshead-nun-called-Sister-John-Mary.html"]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136713/David-Camerons-lover-Laura-Adshead-nun-called-Sister-John-Mary.html[/url]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335727462' post='2424840']
At Regina Laudis! She was a high-flying executive, although that seems to have been made rather less of than having dated the Prime Minister... She reminds me of Philippa in In This House of Brede! :)

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136713/David-Camerons-lover-Laura-Adshead-nun-called-Sister-John-Mary.html"]http://www.dailymail...-John-Mary.html[/url]
[/quote]

This is amesome news! ... Who's David Cameron?

she_who_is_not

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1335729043' post='2424857']
[/quote]

Yikes! I hope that was a joke FP.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1335729244' post='2424860']
Yikes! I hope that was a joke FP.
[/quote]

Is he Kirk Cameron's brother or something?

Edited by FuturePriest387

My pet peeve is when people say 'taking holy orders' when they mean 'making vows'... PRIESTS = holy orders. PRIESTS.

TheresaThoma

[/quote]
Brush up on your British Politics...

Marigold she does sound very much like a real life Philippa!

she_who_is_not

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1335730186' post='2424870']
Is he Kirk Cameron's brother or something?[/quote]
[img]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/amandajjay/jmiller.jpg[/img]

Yep.

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335731736' post='2424882']
My pet peeve is when people say 'taking holy orders' when they mean 'making vows'... PRIESTS = holy orders. PRIESTS.
[/quote]

SAME!! I picked up on that too and was kind of annoyed.

I think she looks far more beautiful in the habit than in her regular clothes.
But it just goes to show that money and worldly successes do not guarantee happiness.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1335734311' post='2424901']
SAME!! I picked up on that too and was kind of annoyed.

I think she looks far more beautiful in the habit than in her regular clothes.
But it just goes to show that money and worldly successes do not guarantee happiness.
[/quote]

Do they confuse it with 'Religious Order' I wonder? Or are they just not that concerned with the jargon? The number of times I've read, "She is now a novitiate", or worse, "noviate"!

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335736215' post='2424920']
Do they confuse it with 'Religious Order' I wonder? Or are they just not that concerned with the jargon? The number of times I've read, "She is now a novitiate", or worse, "noviate"!
[/quote]

I think it's a basic lack of understanding and then perhaps a laziness in not trying to understand. Without understanding the HUGE difference between "holy orders" and "religious vows" the two probably seem fairly interchangeable.

I can kind of sympathise though, to an outsider it must be very confusing. To someone unfamiliar with the jargon the VS must seem like it's in another language. :P

I think the media in general are more familiar with Catholic jargon for priests. Also, if someone made a snaffoo regarding such language before, then when the anchors are doing their research online, they see some other well respected media outlet using a word and they throw in the same thing.

Another one that bugs me a lot is the use of [i]nunnery[/i]. Unfortunately this word has unfortunate overtones.... most people in the media have likely not read nor understood their Shakespeare..... they just like the line from Hamlet.

Edited by mantellata

MissScripture

[/quote]
That's like when they refer to all Sisters as "Nuns."

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1335736537' post='2424925']
I think it's a basic lack of understanding and then perhaps a laziness in not trying to understand. Without understanding the HUGE difference between "holy orders" and "religious vows" the two probably seem fairly interchangeable.

I can kind of sympathise though, to an outsider it must be very confusing. To someone unfamiliar with the jargon the VS must seem like it's in another language. :P
[/quote]
I'm guessing it's just unintentional ignorance. I honestly didn't know that Holy Orders meant only priests until I was in 9th grade and I went to Catholic School my entire life (not the most Catholic Catholic school, but it wasn't terrible. Just watered down.). For someone who doesn't have any sort of Catholic background it's probably just a wrong assumption.

Maximilianus

[/quote]
That is kind of annoying, like how people misuse the term laity/lay person/lay all the time even on phatmass.

LaPetiteSoeur

[/quote]

Don't know if you are joking or not, but he's the British PM. :nun:

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1335742370' post='2424966']
That is kind of annoying, like how people misuse the term laity/lay person/lay all the time even on phatmass.
[/quote]

I know. There's a lot of ignorance in the media about catholicism. Just look at how they misuse the term papal infalibility