An Old School Catholic Message Board

Article: David Cameron's Ex Becomes Nun

marigold

MissScripture

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1335810247' post='2425252']
I know. There's a lot of ignorance in the media about catholicism. Just look at how they misuse the term papal infalibility
[/quote]
WAIT! You mean we don't think that every word that comes out of the Pope's mouth was directly from God!?! :shock:

dominicansoul

i didn't know who this cameron fellow was either :hehe2:

for a second i thought it was the lady who was married to the director of the Titanic movie....

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1335810474' post='2425255']
WAIT! You mean we don't think that every word that comes out of the Pope's mouth was directly from God!?! :shock:
[/quote]

I didn't say that! :harhar:

Antigonos

It is my understanding that the Pope is infallible ONLY when making statements "ex cathedra". I somehow doubt that God is speaking through the Pope when His Holiness is presented with a pizza and Benedict says "I thought I ordered olives, mushrooms, and anchovies. Why did I get only olives?"

But then again, I could be wrong, and maybe God DOES prefer anchovies on pizza. I know I do [does that make me infallible? I doubt it <g>

Props, Antigonos! Loved that! And I am not the Pope, but you are welcome to my share of the anchovies!

Antigonos

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335868315' post='2425580']
Props, Antigonos! Loved that! And I am not the Pope, but you are welcome to my share of the anchovies!
[/quote]

Accepted. Just so God's pizza doesn't have pepperoni sausage on it; that might cause some serious theological problems...

beatitude

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1335880313' post='2425623']
Accepted. Just so God's pizza doesn't have pepperoni sausage on it; that might cause some serious theological problems...
[/quote]

Aha, I have in my freezer a tasty vegan pizza with counterfeit pepperoni. It's soy-based and it tastes delicious, better than the real thing. This really opens up the cosmic pizza menu!

krissylou

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1335867555' post='2425579']
It is my understanding that the Pope is infallible ONLY when making statements "ex cathedra". I somehow doubt that God is speaking through the Pope when His Holiness is presented with a pizza and Benedict says "I thought I ordered olives, mushrooms, and anchovies. Why did I get only olives?"

But then again, I could be wrong, and maybe God DOES prefer anchovies on pizza. I know I do [does that make me infallible? I doubt it <g>
[/quote]

God is opposed to anchovies.

Antigonos

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1335891069' post='2425663']

God is opposed to anchovies.
[/quote]

Not my God <g>.

I wish we had some good spicy vegetarian sausage here in Israel. Veg sausage we've got but it's like salami.
Now I'm getting hungry....

beatitude

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1335894682' post='2425690']
Not my God <g>.

I wish we had some good spicy vegetarian sausage here in Israel. Veg sausage we've got but it's like salami.
Now I'm getting hungry....
[/quote]

You want to try living in Bethlehem. The first thing that my colleague said to me when he learned that I was vegetarian was a dismayed, "We have no [i]use[/i] for vegetarians in Palestine!"

I'm in the UK at the moment, and I will be returning with a suitcase stuffed with various treats. If you'd like me to bring you some sausage I could try. There's a terrific vegan grocery shop just nearby. Of course, many of the products are frozen, and that could get a bit messy on the aircraft. I don't want my clothes to be covered with shreds of disintegrating sausage. But I'll have a look for something transportable.

P.S. How did we get from Benedictine monastic life to sausage substitutes?

Edited by beatitude

:hijack:

How can nuns not have remained the focus of the thread? This is the VS after all!

Thanks to EJames2, we can pick ourselves up again after our sausagey descent. He just posted a link to the very documentary which the Sister in question is featured in. I'm cross-posting it here and am just about to watch it now: [url="http://en.gloria.tv/?media=284857"][color="#888888"]http://en.gloria.tv/?media=284857[/color][/url]

Totally going to watch the documentary tomorrow since I have a day off work. Thanks for posting it here marigold.

Antigonos

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335900137' post='2425728']
You want to try living in Bethlehem. The first thing that my colleague said to me when he learned that I was vegetarian was a dismayed, "We have no [i]use[/i] for vegetarians in Palestine!"

I'm in the UK at the moment, and I will be returning with a suitcase stuffed with various treats. If you'd like me to bring you some sausage I could try. There's a terrific vegan grocery shop just nearby. Of course, many of the products are frozen, and that could get a bit messy on the aircraft. I don't want my clothes to be covered with shreds of disintegrating sausage. But I'll have a look for something transportable.

P.S. How did we get from Benedictine monastic life to sausage substitutes?
[/quote]

Thanks, but no thanks, I keep a kosher house. Vegan it might be, but almost certainly without a kashrut certificate [hechsher].
If you'd like to meet for a coffee, I'd love to either host you or meet you at a coffee house when you are "in the neighborhood". [For some reason, I can't PM people, but you can contact me via my Yahoo address: [email="slevami@yahoo.com"]slevami@yahoo.com[/email]]

Benedictines, for all I know, might eat vegetarian sausage. Although I know meatless Fridays are a thing of the past, don't monasteries and convents keep to a fairly austere diet?

beatitude

Meatless Fridays are back in again, at least in the UK. The bishops called for a return to the custom as a public witness to the faith. Benedictines can eat meat - there's nothing in the Rule that forbids it - but like all religious they do live very simply and austerely when it comes to food. The Benedictines whom I know eat meat only on Sundays and special feasts, but I think that's just particular to their monastery.

I will e-mail you. :)