An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

FutureSister2009

Just to warn you, the Carmelites in Colorado Springs, CO are not in union with the Church.  They are a "renegade order" and are attached to a male group that is schismatic.  They don't believe in the validity of the Novus Ordo Mass.

Oh so that's why they were so concerned about me and my interest in the Latin Mass. Never mind then. I haven't actually visited them or anything. I just wish there were more Orders out there that had the Latin Mass

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123687-which-communities-celebrate-the-ef-at-all/  &  http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126309-cloisters-in-the-latin-rite-in-union-with-rome/

There are three Carmels now with the Latin Mass (EF) daily (although I've heard the CA foundation has the OF most of the time for the time being in their new location)

Valparaiso, NE

Elysburg, PA

Canyon, CA

Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph of Canyon, CA
P.O. Box 183
Canyon‎ CA‎ 94516

One of the Institute of Christ the King priests in Oakland came for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdj1120YFk0

Oh so that's why they were so concerned about me and my interest in the Latin Mass. Never mind then. I haven't actually visited them or anything. I just wish there were more Orders out there that had the Latin Mass

Yes, I emailed them back in 2008 when I was really interested in Carmelite communities.  I did not appreciate their email when I told them I had depression because the Prioress handled it very poorly and answered me harshly.  When I learned they were a renegade order, I was relieved that I didn't proceed with them. 

As Chiquitunga pointed out, there are quite a few Carmelite monasteries in full communion that have the Latin Mass.  Valparaiso and Elysburg are the most popular.  Let me know if you would like help finding other communities with the Latin Mass.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Just to warn you, the Carmelites in Colorado Springs, CO are not in union with the Church.  They are a "renegade order" and are attached to a male group that is schismatic.  They don't believe in the validity of the Novus Ordo Mass.

Wait, wow, they really don't? (believe the ordinary/new Mass is valid) Just wondering, did they tell you this? But yes, I have a document from the CO Springs Diocese on them and the Servants of the Holy Family (the priests they are attached to) and yes they not in union with the Church. The document also says that while their Masses offered are valid, though illicit, their Confessions are not (valid)

Edited by Chiquitunga

Wait, wow, they really don't? (believe the ordinary/new Mass is valid) Just wondering, did they tell you this? But yes, I have a document from the CO Springs Diocese on them and the Servants of the Holy Family (the priests they are attached to) and yes they not in union with the Church. The document also says that while their Masses offered are valid, though illicit, their Confessions are not (valid)

Yes, the Prioress told me herself they do not believe the NO Mass is valid.  They asked me bluntly if I attended only the 1962 Extraordinary Form Mass.  When I told them I never attended the Latin Mass, she was very harsh and said the NO Mass is not valid.

Yes, the Prioress told me herself they do not believe the NO Mass is valid.  They asked me bluntly if I attended only the 1962 Extraordinary Form Mass.  When I told them I never attended the Latin Mass, she was very harsh and said the NO Mass is not valid.

Whoa, that's scary... Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering this especially in relation to how they would view other Carmels then, like their neighbors in Littleton, CO who are 1990 and sometimes have the TLM offered by the FSSP. How could so many cloistered nuns persevere in the life without a valid Mass? What about their relationship with Our Lord? ... (I mean, I wonder how they, CO Springs, could think this) We must pray for them. Even the SSPX acknowledges the validity of the new Mass (although they doubt the majority are valid because of the intention of the priest, as they say on their site, also sad, but slightly less extreme)

I receive the Sisters of Carmel email newsletter, as it is interesting to read about some different Carmelite customs they mention. They once wrote about the entrance of a new postulant and that they sing an English hymn to Our Lady, O Shelter Her when she enters. I heard from Dallas that they sing this too. CO Springs traces its roots to the Albuquerque Carmel (which closed and merged with Pewaukee, WI) Alb. was founded by Santa Fe which was founded by Dallas, so they would have similar customs.

Again, let's pray for them.... :pray:

Whoa, that's scary... Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering this especially in relation to how they would view other Carmels then, like their neighbors in Littleton, CO who are 1990 and sometimes have the TLM offered by the FSSP. How could so many cloistered nuns persevere in the life without a valid Mass? What about their relationship with Our Lord? ... (I mean, I wonder how they, CO Springs, could think this) We must pray for them. Even the SSPX acknowledges the validity of the new Mass (although they doubt the majority are valid because of the intention of the priest, as they say on their site, also sad, but slightly less extreme)

I receive the Sisters of Carmel email newsletter, as it is interesting to read about some different Carmelite customs they mention. They once wrote about the entrance of a new postulant and that they sing an English hymn to Our Lady, O Shelter Her when she enters. I heard from Dallas that they sing this too. CO Springs traces its roots to the Albuquerque Carmel (which closed and merged with Pewaukee, WI) Alb. was founded by Santa Fe which was founded by Dallas, so they would have similar customs.

Again, let's pray for them.... :pray:

I always thought it was strange that they don't mention the diocese they are in, the local Bishop, or the Pope on their website.  When I found out they were renegade, it all made sense.  I really hope they understand the error of their ways and reunite with Holy Mother Church.

I always thought it was strange that they don't mention the diocese they are in, the local Bishop, or the Pope on their website.  When I found out they were renegade, it all made sense.  I really hope they understand the error of their ways and reunite with Holy Mother Church.

I heard from someone who knows them that they had been very influenced by Fr. Anthony Ward in the 80's who founded the Servants of the Holy Family. How important it is that we have good priests to shepherd us in the right direction :pray:

Just was searching through this thread and remembered that the PMer Imsb1231 is entering the Dallas Carmel this year (very exciting!) Does anyone know if she entered since she hasn't been on in a while? Or maybe she didn't want that to be known on here, which is fine then I don't need to know. :) Praying for her though!

I once found a picture of the Dallas Carmel inside the enclosure with some of the Sisters (faces not shown) if I find it again I'll post it in here ....

According to her post here she's entering pretty soon :) I think the picture you're talking about is this one, http://jesucaritas.tumblr.com/post/29287251832/discalced-carmelites-dallas-tx  The nuns there do cover their faces for Holy Communion, but this was at a different time during a clothing ceremony.

I think this was the picture (along with another one in the parlor where you could barely see the nuns) that someone accused the nuns of "breaking cloister" for as it's originally from this blog, http://veneremurcernui.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/big-doings-upcoming-at-the-dallas-carmel/

"NO PICTURES OF THE NUNS!  Apparently, someone accused the nuns of “breaking cloister” because some pictures had appeared of them, even through the incredibly dense grill.  If that’s you…….I shake my head……."

Plenty of 1990 Carmels will allow the occasional picture online. It is totally up to the Prioress of the individual communities. I know Valparaiso takes pictures and shares them with the family, and the family can take pictures of them through the grille. They just ask that they not be shared or posted online. Whereas in Brooklyn I know at least, pictures in the parlor/behind the grille are not allowed. I guess this must be the rule in Dallas now too. 

tumblr_m8nvczr3Qb1r11k11o2_400.jpg

Here is the picture ..... it looks like a procession? Not really sure though. The novices always process together to choir for the Divine Office, but because here the white veils and black veils are together so I can't really know for sure what is going on in the picture; it wouldn't be common though to see those in the novitiate with the professed Sisters in the same area. Unless, these Sisters in the picture with the white veils are what is known in some Carmel's as "grey veils" meaning they have left the novitiate and have joined the professed, but will remain with the white veil until the making of solemn vows (not for a very long time; I would estimate no more than a year at the most. It could be less time.) At that time, being a grey veil, they will be under the watchful eye and care of the Reverend Mother and will get to see what it will be like to be a professed Sister by doing a lot of what they do. Nice picture to look at. :)

Here it is a little bigger, http://veneremurcernui.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/img_59261.jpeg Actually I know which two nuns those white veils are :smile3: (from my friend who entered there) and they both made their Solemn Professions not long after this picture first appeared online from the Texas Catholic newspaper. It was used in an article done on them in 2010. It's not online, only in newspaper form. I asked the Texas Catholic if I could order a copy and they just sent it to me for free :) So yes, those two would have been "grey veils" I believe during the time this picture was taken. 

According to her post here she's entering pretty soon :) I think the picture you're talking about is this one, http://jesucaritas.tumblr.com/post/29287251832/discalced-carmelites-dallas-tx  The nuns there do cover their faces for Holy Communion, but this was at a different time during a clothing ceremony.

One more post here for now, lol  I did notice there is a paten there at the Communion window, but again, I am pretty sure (if not, this must have been an exception) this picture is not from that moment. I have been to this Carmel for Holy Mass a few times, and all of the nuns' faces were veiled then. Also my friend who entered there somewhat recently said this too.

Here, btw, are some pictures of Dominicans visting Cristo Rey Carmel - http://novices.opwest.org/wordpress/2013/01/brides-of-christ/

VeniJesuAmorMi

I've been considering the Carmel in Colorado that only does the Latin Mass. I really appreciate that. There's also the one in Loretto that's almost exactly like St. Therese's convent.

Prayers for your discernment! There are so many wonderful Carmelite communities to consider; if you search through this thread you'll find many that will be good to contact if you continue discernment with Carmel. It is a very beautiful vocation. Just to have the grace of Carmelite spirituality is a great blessing. :)

Here it is a little bigger, http://veneremurcernui.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/img_59261.jpeg Actually I know which two nuns those white veils are :smile3: (from my friend who entered there) and they both made their Solemn Professions not long after this picture first appeared online from the Texas Catholic newspaper. It was used in an article done on them in 2010. It's not online, only in newspaper form. I asked the Texas Catholic if I could order a copy and they just sent it to me for free :) So yes, those two would have been "grey veils" I believe during the time this picture was taken. 

Thanks for sharing about the picture Chiqui! :) I found it on a website with a bunch of other nun pictures and it was exciting to see it because it was actually inside the enclosure. I really believe that pictures of Carmelite nuns are much more beautiful when the faces aren't showing. I don't know if I could explain it well, but rather simply because hiddenness plays such a big role in their life; bother exterior in interior. 

Thanks for posting this MM. This will help other discerners before they decide to contact them if they didn't know already. It really is so frightening that the Sacrament of Confession isn't valid there. I'll be praying also that they be led back into the light of truth and to the Church.

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

• 2 weeks later...

Light Love Life is being reprinted!!! :heart:

LLL.jpg

http://www.icspublications.org/bookstore/trinity/b_trinity03.html

I was emailing them (ICS) about this a few years ago asking if they would PLEASE consider reprinting this bc it is so so beautiful!!! they replied pretty clearly that it wouldn't happen as so many copies had already been printed (but that was 25 yrs ago! & now 2nd hand copies can be expensive!!) guess they changed their minds :) me and Elizabeth won :smile3: (just joking around, I'm sure it's not bc of me they reprinted it, hehe I sent that email in like '06) Anyway, this is awe.some though!

LadyOfSorrows

Has anyone on here visited the Carmel in Loretto PA? They seem pretty great

I have. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.