An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discalced Carmelite Nun Communities

Guest vent801

[quote name='shannon' timestamp='1350912367' post='2495912']
Loretto Discalced Carmelite Nuns have a new website!
[url="http://lorettocarmel.org/"]http://lorettocarmel.org/[/url]
[/quote]

How did you like the Loretto Carmel? I love to go to Mass there when I can-- We live near Pittsburgh. Anyway, they have been very diligent in prayer for my son and call him their "little brother"!
I pray they receive some vocations soon.

[quote name='VeniJesuAmorMi' timestamp='1351187569' post='2497585']
That is really exciting! I would probably like to ask her all about her time there. I wonder then if some of the traditions they have there in Alexandria (I don't know of them) came from this Sister; as she did come from the Carmel in Avila. Do you know of any traditions that they have?
[/quote]
I bet this Sister did bring many customs from the Incarnation to Alexandria, although I do not specifically know of any. But I do know that besides that, they have the beautiful traditions from Buffalo Carmel which are extremely rich in themselves! I love the story of [url="http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/01/mother-mary-elias-of-blessed-sacrament.html"]Mother Mary Elias[/url], and how she helped many Carmels, not only her own, like Dallas. I think of all the Spanish/Mexican Carmels in the US, the ones that came from Grand Rapids are my favorite because of this amazing history!

That reminds me .. so the Miraculous Infant Jesus statue that cried on the train while Mother Elias and her community were escaping from Mexico (someone was suspicious of them and asked why the infant was so silent) .. and that drooled and blushed in Mother Elias' arms .. well, the original statue is in Grand Rapids, but Buffalo and Alexandria have a replica and I've seen a picture of the one they have at Alexandria. So they carry on that tradition :)

VeniJesuAmorMi

I found this not too long ago. I was searching for the "St. Teresa of the Andes" movie online; they have it on YouTube but with no English subtitles. However, the last part of her in Carmel is still worth watching (even if you don't know what they're saying) I just like to watch the video anyway. :heart: :nun:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igtC-PT0nZc&feature=related[/media]

BEST movie in the history of mankind!!!! (kind of exaggerating, but not really :smile4:) and every minute of it too!! not just the parts in Carmel. I[i][b] love[/b][/i] all the other parts .. the character development, family life, modesty, the way every one dressed!! mannerisms, values, wonderful depiction of the times/culture, slow moving-ness, little humorous parts :hehe: authentic places where she actually lived (& not just the Carmel) She was in Carmel for such a short time.. I think it made sense to have her in Carmel only toward the end; that was her life. But oh my goodness, just .. I could go on about this movie forever, but it's so late, I better not! :smile3: (I think I did though)

my (or [i]our[/i]) recent post in the Saint Movies thread

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1350149854' post='2493097']
[size=5][b]THESE TWO!!!!!! [/b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][I'm talking about [i]Teresa de Jesus [/i](Avila) & [i]Teresa de Los Andes[/i] .. I like the original titles!][/font][/size][/size]

And I will seriously send you a copy of [i]Teresa de Los Andes[/i] if you'd like! (the subtitles in the Ignatius Press edition aren't done so well, a lot of weird translations, old subtitles are better)

I actually made this character list :smile4: a few years ago when I was going on a Nun Run trip and gave the movie to a bunch of people (before it came out from Ignatius) I had a hard time following who everyone was the first time watching it .. took up lots of thought :hehe: so thus I made the list to help others :like: (yeah, I'm a little obsessed, can you tell? :j)

[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/teresaoftheandes"]https://picasaweb.go...eresaoftheandes[/url]

The movie is filmed on location at her actual houses and [i]the actual monastery she was in!!![/i] (the community moved to a more rural place, the old Carmel is a museum now)

Warning though, it may make you want to be a Carmelite! :proud:
[/quote][/background][/size][/font][/color]

p.s. it's neat to get the chance to watch some clips of it online, but I am really happy that before the first time I watched the whole thing straight through (took two days) the only online videos available were the ones here, [url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_video_teresa.php"]http://www.teresadel...ideo_teresa.php[/url] I had little idea of how things were going to turn out, and it was really amazing watching it that way, I have to admit! I couldn't stop watching... it totally drew me it and brought me to tears a few times :sad:

No problem if you've already watched many clips though!! you can still see the whole thing and appreciate it! I've watched it a few times now and always enjoy it just the same :like:

So yes maybe take a sneak peak, but I would recommend not watching everything .. especially the end! It's much more beautiful when you've seen her character develop throughout the movie.

Of course, it is just a movie and if you really want to know the saint, read her beautiful writings! :heart: But seriously this movie all in itself, even apart from the saint (hope that makes sense), is really a masterpiece! :winner:

Edited by Chiquitunga

VeniJesuAmorMi

God reward you Chiquitunga for the great movie review! :)

Now I would really like to see all of it (with English subtitles of course!) I've seen bits of the movie with the English, but from what I've seen it seems to be very realistic; especially the part of her in Carmel. It was almost like watching what actually took place and you were with her while she was in Carmel. It is really great. Though of course being a movie, there was a few things I picked out that were a bit different. For example, a lot of times there was a lack of recollection (in the refectory scenes the most when the Sisters were looking at eachother and around the room.) It also looks like the black veils are wearing black toca's! It seems though that in the movie, the way they wore the day veil (the veil sewed on to the toca) was worn so that it covered the toca part that would be shown on the shoulders. Even the white veils wore them like this, but because they had white veils it isn't so noticable. The postulants and novices were talking to eachother during recreations without talking to one another through the Superior with "benedicite" (benedicite to ask Sister, or benedicite to say ....) I know this is actually the case in some Carmels, but in others they are not able to speak directly to eachother. I wonder if this is the norm or is this more rare and with only a select few Carmels?

I really have to look into getting the movie! I have been reading "Letters of St. Teresa of the Andes" and this is just a wonderful book. It is so rich with Carmelite spirituality and the way she always talks about being a Carmelite is just so beautiful. She also gives great advise to those living in the world. I find its a really good read for those preparing to enter Carmel. :saint2:

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

AccountDeleted

[quote name='VeniJesuAmorMi' timestamp='1351995603' post='2503673']
God reward you Chiquitunga for the great movie review! :)

Now I would really like to see all of it (with English subtitles of course!) I've seen bits of the movie with the English, but from what I've seen it seems to be very realistic; especially the part of her in Carmel. It was almost like watching what actually took place and you were with her while she was in Carmel. It is really great. Though of course being a movie, there was a few things I picked out that were a bit different. For example, a lot of times there was a lack of recollection (in the refectory scenes the most when the Sisters were looking at eachother and around the room.) It also looks like the black veils are wearing black toca's! It seems though that in the movie, the way they wore the day veil (the veil sewed on to the toca) was worn so that it covered the toca part that would be shown on the shoulders. Even the white veils wore them like this, but because they had white veils it isn't so noticable. The postulants and novices were talking to eachother during recreations without talking to one another through the Superior with "benedicite" (benedicite to ask Sister, or benedicite to say ....) I know this is actually the case in some Carmels, but in others they are not able to speak directly to eachother. I wonder if this is the norm or is this more rare and with only a select few Carmels?

I really have to look into getting the movie! I have been reading "Letters of St. Teresa of the Andes" and this is just a wonderful book. It is so rich with Carmelite spirituality and the way she always talks about being a Carmelite is just so beautiful. She also gives great advise to those living in the world. I find its a really good read for those preparing to enter Carmel. :saint2:
[/quote]

Don't forget that Teresa of the Andes lived in a convent pre Vatican II so many things have changed since then. At some Carmels, it is still necessary to speak through the Prioress, but at others, it is ok to speak to the sister on either side of you (but not across the room). And in Wolverhampton it depends on whether the Prioress has joined us yet or not. Usually she lets us have Recreation without her for 10-15 minutes (with the Sub-Prioress or one of the senior nuns present) and we can speak with the sister on either side of us privately (or a 3-way conversation if the numbers aren't even because someone hasn't arrived yet). Once Mother joins us though, we address most things to her when we want to share with everyone. And if she is speaking to us all (with news or prayer requests) then we stop talking and listen to her.

• 4 weeks later...
VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1343969791' post='2461888']
And for those to whom it matters, the Dallas Carmelites all [b]receive our Lord kneeling and on the tongue[/b]. I know for some it doesn't matter, but for others this is of great importance. They also use the communion flap to cover their eyes.
[/quote]

Would anyone happen to know of other communities that do this as well? I know this isn't a deciding factor for wanting to enter; it really is where Our Lord chooses. However, I do receive this way so I am interested to find out. :)

On a different topic: I was researching more about the Alexandria Carmel and found that they make soap! Here is the website with the details (and some more information about the Carmel) there are also a couple of pictures of some of the Sisters ...thats always exciting! :) (I just hope they had permission to have them online, as some Carmels are strict about this.)

[url="http://www.monasterygreetings.com/product/Plain_Soap_Bar_Soaps_Organic/Carmelite_Gifts"]http://www.monastery...Carmelite_Gifts[/url]

Praised be Jesus Christ! I bought some of that soap for someone as a Christmas present once :like: Yes, I do hope permission was given to post those pictures. I know Alexandria is a strict Carmel, but they might be slightly less strict on this point maybe, like with the picture of Sr. Elizabeth being posted [url="http://www.starofthesea.net/index.php/our-parish/blog/555-the-discalced-carmelite-nuns-of-alexandria-sd-joyfully-announce-the-first-profession-of-sister-elizabeth-of-the-mother-of-god-ocd-catherine-lenoma-clemen"]here[/url] :love: (or maybe again, they just do not know about it!)

Besides these fews things though, they seem to be mostly "offline" They have an IRL profile, which I think is perfect really, only showing them from the back, [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/166"]http://db.religiousl...irl.nsf/org/166[/url]

In reply your first question, I would be very surprised to learn that any Carmel under the 1990s receives Holy Communion in the hand .. very much most likely not. I also prefer to receive this way, following the strong feelings Blessed Teresa of Calcutta has on this, but do not judge others, as receiving on the hand was the only way I learned in CCD :(

I am sure many/or some 1991 Carmels only receive on the tongue also though, I am guessing, although I did run into this once on an association meeting in Detroit of the [url="http://www.mary-queen-of-carmel-assoc.org/"]Mary, Queen of Carmel Association[/url]

[url="http://churchhistorysurprise.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-mentioned-in-last-entry-that-heresy.html"]http://churchhistory...hat-heresy.html[/url]

[quote]While I was staying at the Passionist Retreat Center there was a conference of Carmelite nuns going on—a meeting of about a hundred cloistered nuns—mostly the Prioresses (mothers superior) and Formation Directors (novice-mistresses) of various monasteries in the United States and Canada, though I did see some younger nuns with the white veils of novices. It was interesting seeing these women outside their monasteries. They were anything but a somber group. There was much laughter and a strong sense of family. They looked very traditional—almost all in the same habit their predecessors had worn for centuries though a few had modified veils that showed a wisp of hair. They were very serious when it came time for prayer and it was a privilege to attend their Mass each morning. I served the Mass—or rather I served the old priest who celebrated the Mass for them each morning. [b]I was surprised to note that at communion not a single nun received communion on the tongue.[/b] Young and old, reverent all, but each nun extended her hands to receive Holy Communion. I mentioned this one day at lunch—I had my meals with them in the retreat dining room—and the nuns at the table all thought for a moment and then began to discuss it. They had never given it much thought, they agreed, it just seemed natural to them. Then one older nun—the prioress of a Carmel on the West Coast—said “Well, why wouldn’t we? The Incarnation is the central mystery of our lives. Holy Mother (Saint Teresa of Avila) says that we should meditate on either the Passion or the Incarnation. When you meditate on the Word Becoming Flesh, you burn with desire to hold the Flesh of the Lord for yourself. In this sacrament, his Flesh becomes our Flesh and our Flesh becomes his. Why should be afraid to touch him? He is our Spouse, the deepest Desire of our being.”[/quote]

I do not post this to judge them though, just in reply to Veni's question. All of these nuns are beautiful members of Christ's Mystical Body and His Beloved Spouses :heart:

p.s. reading your question again, I see you are asking both about receiving on the tongue [i]and[/i] kneeling ... after a quick memory scan of some of the different 1990 Carmels I know of .. I know of none that receives standing, I'm pretty sure :like:

AccountDeleted

While I was Kirk Edge (a 1990) Carmel, we switched from receiving on the tongue to receiving in the hand because the Bishop asked everyone in the diocese to do so and Reverend Mother told us that obedience was more important than our own personal feelings and said we should. The Bishop requested this and also stopped the use of the chalice for the congregation because, at the time, there was a scare about some disease going around - I think it might have been Swine Flu (that was in 2009 and I can't remember). We still went up to the Communion window and knelt down but we received on the hand, put the host in our mouth and then got up from the kneeler. So really, nothing is set in stone it seems. They may have switched back since then if the Bishop felt the danger was past (that was nearly 4 years ago).

Wow, interesting... thanks for sharing nunsense! It's good to know that ordinarily kneeling and receiving on the tongue was what they did/or do again now. But yes, obedience is always the most important. If both the bishop and Reverend Mother Prioress asked, of course you would do so.

The practice of receiving Holy Communion on the hand did actually come from disobedience .. in Germany I believe it was .. then it was allowed .. but it was first an act of disobedience. A very knowledgeable priest shared this with me, but I do not remember all the details. I can ask him though.

But again, if I had been in Kirk Edge at the time and both the local bishop and Prioress requested this, I would obey them, and then be sure to lick my hands (discreetly/when/if possible) where the Host was placed. A Jesuit priest once told me this should be the norm for those who receive in the hand .. to be very careful no crumbs are left on your hand. Depending on the type of Host used, some can leave lots of crumbs as they do at my local parish.. I very often find them on the ledge outside the tabernacle. It is sad .. :( We've lost so much ..

On another note, there's a new little picture up from the Solemn Profession at Elysburg this week, [url="http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org"]http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org[/url]

Also a great quote from St. Therese :heart: [url="http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/enter/?p=891"]http://friendsofcarm...rg/enter/?p=891[/url]

Edited by Chiquitunga

[b]I think future priests and religious, especially, should also be aware that the practice of the early church was always to receive communion in the hand. There are beautiful quotes in the writings of the early fathers of the church about receiving the body of Christ reverently in one's hands. For example, this one from 4th century by [/b]
[b][b]ST. CYRIL OF JERUSALEM.[/b][/b]
[b](Cateches. Mystagog. v.(1))[/b]
[b]"When thou goest to receive communion go not with thy wrists extended, nor with thy fingers separated, [b]but placing thy left hand as a throne for thy right, which is to receive so great a King, and in the hollow of the palm receive the body of Christ[/b], saying, Amen."[/b]
[b] [/b]
[b]It was also common for lay people to take some of the consecrated bread home, from which they would communicate themselves during the week or to share with the sick who could not be at Sunday Eucharist. And the early church comunities shared the sacrament under both species. [/b]
[b] [/b]
[b]It is important for people to know the history of liturgical practices and learn that things in Christendom have not been fixed in Council of Trent style for 2 millenia. If you are not informed, you can be deceived by those who want to make their opinion your law. [/b]

I endorse neither method of receiving the Blessed Sacrament as preferred- I do pray that we always approach this great gift with holy reverance and gratitude for the merciful love it demonstrates.

VeniJesuAmorMi

God reward you Chiquitunga for the information! I knew you would have the answer so I'm glad you posted! :hehe: (I always enjoy your information about Carmel!) Also for the picture of the Sister; I like how they dressed the baby Jesus :)

Also Nunsense for sharing; that is a beautiful example of obedience and seeing Our Lord in our Superiors and to go about that without saying how you feel about it, but remaining silent and surrending is so beautiful.

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='Graciela' timestamp='1354046529' post='2517800']
[b]I think future priests and religious, especially, should also be aware that the practice of the early church was always to receive communion in the hand. There are beautiful quotes in the writings of the early fathers of the church about receiving the body of Christ reverently in one's hands. For example, this one from 4th century by [/b]
[b][b]ST. CYRIL OF JERUSALEM.[/b][/b]
[b](Cateches. Mystagog. v.(1))[/b]
[b]"When thou goest to receive communion go not with thy wrists extended, nor with thy fingers separated, [b]but placing thy left hand as a throne for thy right, which is to receive so great a King, and in the hollow of the palm receive the body of Christ[/b], saying, Amen."[/b]

[b]It was also common for lay people to take some of the consecrated bread home, from which they would communicate themselves during the week or to share with the sick who could not be at Sunday Eucharist. And the early church comunities shared the sacrament under both species. [/b]

[b]It is important for people to know the history of liturgical practices and learn that things in Christendom have not been fixed in Council of Trent style for 2 millenia. If you are not informed, you can be deceived by those who want to make their opinion your law. [/b]

I endorse neither method of receiving the Blessed Sacrament as preferred- I do pray that we always approach this great gift with holy reverance and gratitude for the merciful love it demonstrates.
[/quote]

The Church accepts both ways, so both are the right way for sure. :) I find that communities differ about how to receive, but as you said too that either way should be done with great love and reverence (and also obedience to The Church); which I believe (and hope!) that they all do, and that I also will always receive with great reverence and love in my heart.

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1353960905' post='2517055']
[url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/166"]http://db.religiousl...irl.nsf/org/166[/url]
[/quote]

Praised be Jesus Christ! Now and forever. :)

Chiquitunga I have a question; the picture of the Sister's in this photo: do you know where in the Monastery they are? I just always thought this was a beautiful picture and was curious to know. I thought maybe the Chapel? It looks like a small Altar, but would that be inside the enclosure or the public Chapel?

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi