An Old School Catholic Message Board

Telling My Mother

EmilyAnn

OnlySunshine

You know, in the end, all mothers want their daughters to be happy. Even my mom, who is super supportive, was very upset with me for about the first year and a half when I told her I was discerning. She had been to Catholic school growing up and had this picture in her head that all nuns are frumpy and unhappy. It was a huge culture shock for her when I showed her pictures of vibrant, young Sisters full of joy for the Lord. I always pictured myself getting married and having a huge family up until that point and I talked a lot with her about having kids, so it was no surprise to me when she had to have some time to get used to it.

Take some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and, if you can, go to Mass every day in order to prepare yourself for that moment when you tell your mom. Pray for courage and patience to deal with anything. Ultimately, the only one you are trying to please is Jesus Christ -- He matters the most and is our ultimate judge. Prayers! ;)

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1338258869' post='2436832']
try your hardest and pray hard. God will guide you and all things are possible though him! I'll pray for you! as padre Pio said "pray, hope and don't worry" God Bless you!
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm trying to trust in Him but as much as I trust in Him, my mother doesn't and isn't open to him.

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1338261724' post='2436898']
Sometimes it's best just to "let go and let God." Do not fill your mind with worry or stress. Trust that the Lord will guide you and your mother, opening your hearts to His love.

If you are meant for religious life, you will get there. :)

I will be keeping you in prayer. May you and your mother be blessed.
[/quote]

I probably do stress too much. I'm having financial troubles as well so I'm getting worked up about that as well.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1338262447' post='2436911']
You know, in the end, all mothers want their daughters to be happy. Even my mom, who is super supportive, was very upset with me for about the first year and a half when I told her I was discerning. She had been to Catholic school growing up and had this picture in her head that all nuns are frumpy and unhappy. It was a huge culture shock for her when I showed her pictures of vibrant, young Sisters full of joy for the Lord. I always pictured myself getting married and having a huge family up until that point and I talked a lot with her about having kids, so it was no surprise to me when she had to have some time to get used to it.

Take some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and, if you can, go to Mass every day in order to prepare yourself for that moment when you tell your mom. Pray for courage and patience to deal with anything. Ultimately, the only one you are trying to please is Jesus Christ -- He matters the most and is our ultimate judge. Prayers! ;)
[/quote]

I'm hoping to go back to my university town in a few weeks and I can start going to Daily Mass again. I'm just praying that when the moment comes to tell her then God will guide me.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1338292965' post='2437014']
Thanks. I'm trying to trust in Him but as much as I trust in Him, my mother doesn't and isn't open to him.

I probably do stress too much. I'm having financial troubles as well so I'm getting worked up about that as well.
[/quote]

Having financial stress is no walk in the park. I sympathize with you because I'm going through the same thing. To further complicate matters, it doesn't help when you have bills piling up and have no way to pay for them. :(

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1338296155' post='2437039']
Having financial stress is no walk in the park. I sympathize with you because I'm going through the same thing. To further complicate matters, it doesn't help when you have bills piling up and have no way to pay for them. :(
[/quote]

I just can't find work is my problem. I'll get student loans again in the fall but until then I have rent and bills to pay. I can't even ask my mother for help because she doesn't have much money either.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1338296494' post='2437041']
I just can't find work is my problem. I'll get student loans again in the fall but until then I have rent and bills to pay. I can't even ask my mother for help because she doesn't have much money either.
[/quote]

I can't find work either, so I know exactly what you mean. It's weird because I know how I'm going to pay for school since I was awarded a Federal Pell Grant of $5,550 but I don't know how to pay car insurance or gas or my vehicle registration (which is coming up in July). I'm worried I'm going to have to break the news to my grandmother again to ask for her help since my mom and dad can't help more than they are already, but I'm putting that conversation off as much as possible because I know it isn't going to go well. :(

I'll pray for the both of us to find work and get these financial situations resolved. St. Joseph, pray for us!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1338300993' post='2437060']
I can't find work either, so I know exactly what you mean. It's weird because I know how I'm going to pay for school since I was awarded a Federal Pell Grant of $5,550 but I don't know how to pay car insurance or gas or my vehicle registration (which is coming up in July). I'm worried I'm going to have to break the news to my grandmother again to ask for her help since my mom and dad can't help more than they are already, but I'm putting that conversation off as much as possible because I know it isn't going to go well. :(

I'll pray for the both of us to find work and get these financial situations resolved. St. Joseph, pray for us!
[/quote]

I'm so sorry you're struggling as well. You are in my prayers.

On another note, I was recently very randomly contacted by one of the aspirants at St. C's who is entering this summer, she'd stumbled across my blog. I just feel like everything is telling me to go to St. C's but I can't. I'm at the stage where I'm tempted to just arrange a live in and go off without telling anyone, just leave my mom a letter explaining. Obviously not a wise idea but I just want to be there so badly!