An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Back...

Guest Orantes bis

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1341717996' post='2453333']
After all, following Him is all that matters!
[/quote]

That is the truth a million times over!! I wrote in my journal shortly before I decided that I was leaving "I came for you and I will leave for you." It would have been rubbish to pursue religious life if was not in his will.

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1341717996' post='2453333']
Well... it really does encourage me, knowing that my experience can, in almost an ironic way, inspire others. It's the scandal of the Cross really; something that seems like a total failure (it could be viewed as a waste of time, after all... I didn't even stay!) is really a triumph leading to greater trust and surrender. It was when I started realizing this that I decided to come back to PM and share. I noticed that there are several people here that have had similar experiences. It's good not to have to put yourself in the "ex-nun" stereotype and instead say "I'm willing to follow Christ just as radically as the 18 year old girl I once was who wanted to give everything" After all, following Him is all that matters!
[/quote]

So much about this that I wanted to quote specifically, so I had to just quote the whole chunk of it!
Your experience DOES encourage others so much! I can't speak for those who have left the convent, but as that '18 year old girl willing to follow Christ radically' as you say (I am actually 19!), it is so reassuring to see someone confident in God's will and providence after leaving the convent....PM is wonderful, but it can be hard for us pre-convent folk, because so many of the fellow VSers are post-convent. It makes me wonder, "All these people have left the convent...aren't I bound to leave too someday?" Stories like yours help me realize that neither [i]staying[/i] or [i]leaving [/i]matter objectively..their worth comes only from them being in accordance with God's will. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is a good revelation to have, as I doubt it is good for someone to enter under the illusion that she will be depressed and miserable if she discerns out. Anyways, still praying for your journey-and so glad you are back on PM! :)

Edited by emmaberry

carmenchristi

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341728068' post='2453444']
neither [i]staying[/i] or [i]leaving [/i]matter objectively..their worth comes only from them being in accordance with God's will.
[/quote]

Exactly!!!

maximillion

Hmmm - don't be too disheartened. 41 VS phatmassers have entered in a short period of time, yet there are maybe 7-10 of us who have left the convent or who have left to begin discerning with a different community.
And some of us left a very long time ago. I have been out of the convent now for 18 years.

Edited by maximillion

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1341819461' post='2453826']
Hmmm - don't be too disheartened. 41 VS phatmassers have entered in a short period of time, yet there are maybe 7-10 of us who have left the convent or who have left to begin discerning with a different community.
And some of us left a very long time ago. I have been out of the convent now for 18 years.
[/quote]

I don't know if this was for OP or for me, but thanks for those stats! They put things in perspective.