An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mom Of Cloistered Nuns Support Group? (please :) )

emmaberry

Hello again!

I am so sorry for posting so many new topics in VS but my mom and I are talking pretty intensely about religious life and she has so many questions and concerns that I don't know how to answer! I told her about PM and how a lot of moms of cloistered nuns are on here, and she said she would look it up and try to communicate with them. She couldn't find her way around the phorum, so I am asking any moms of women religious (preferably cloistered) who are willing to talk to a nervous mom for your phone numbers or email addresses. I totally understand that some of you are just plain busy and don't have the time, but if anyone does, I would really appreciate it, and I know it would mean the world to my mom to have someone who has been through what she is about to go through answer her questions/thoughts/etc.

She is welcome to join one of the groups we offer:

Http:groups.yahoo.com/group/cloister_outreach_forum/

Blessings,
Gemma

NunMother posts sometimes with news of the Whitesville Passionist community (her daughter is a novice there).

TradMom used to post quite a bit but I don't think I've seen her in a while.

Emmaberry, I think you should PM TradMom, NunMother, and the mother of the recently professed Carmelite - I forget her username, but she made a thread about her daughter's profession just before the Ascension, and it should be easy to find. It will be good for her to chat with these ladies. I haven't seen TradMom in a while, but I used to love her posts - always so thoughtful and understanding. I think she has two daughters in religious life.

You should definitely talk to [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/user/10761-nunmother/"]NunMother[/url] or [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/user/8934-aineiora/"]Aineiora[/url], I'm sure they would have some helpful insights for your mother.

Thank you so much! I would never have been able to narrow down the large list of PM users to find those few who are 'cloister moms.' I appreciate it!

**edited because I have horrible grammar

Edited by emmaberry

Thank you nunmother! By email, do you mean PM message or email? If you meant normal email, can you message me your email address? Thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nunfriend

Hello,

I am new here and looking for support for one of my dearest friends. Her daughter is leaving for convent in August. My friend, the mother of this young lady is in need of support and communication with a mother of a cloistered nun who can share in the pain & loss she is experiencing.
:saint2:
Thankyou so much

[quote name='nunfriend' timestamp='1340155653' post='2446523']
Hello,

I am new here and looking for support for one of my dearest friends. Her daughter is leaving for convent in August. My friend, the mother of this young lady is in need of support and communication with a mother of a cloistered nun who can share in the pain & loss she is experiencing.
Thankyou so much
[/quote]

Please let her know that she can contact me, as I am a mother of a cloistered nun.......

I actually came on this thread to update on my daughter's grandmother's (my mother's - sorry if this is a bit confusing, as I am more than a bit confused) condition. And now that I am here, I am not at all sure that this is the same thread, but I think emmaberry knows the story....... This is the email that went out to my daughter's friends last Saturday: (She made her solemn profession and veiling last month)

[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2]Dear friends of Sr. MT,[/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2] [/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2]Yesterday, at about 4:30 pm, on the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, my mother and Sr. MT’s grandmother slipped away from this earth. It was just 10 days ago that we realized that this time, unlike all the other times, my mother was not going to beat this illness. We called the Carmel inform our Sister and the other Sisters about the status of her beloved Grammie and she sent a beautiful goodbye card, which we were able to read to her. My mother understood everything that was going on around her, because even though her body was failing, her mind was completely intact and she was very responsive. Yesterday morning, when I came to stay with her, I saw that she was now too frail to speak, she could only respond with a slight nod or a squeeze of her hand in mine. So I called the Carmel and asked that Sr. MT be put on the phone so she could say goodbye to her grandmother.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2]I put my mother on speakerphone and so I was blessed to be able to witness the conversation that ensued because I needed to let Sister know that her grandmother was nodding in response to her very loving and gentle remarks. She thanked her for all the wonderful times they spent together and mentioned some very specific lovely times they shared together. She then said something along these lines about dying and Heaven: (And please forgive me if I get the theology all muddled, as I am operating on very little sleep, a raw throat and even rawer emotions…...but hopefully you will be able to decipher the Truth from my ramblings…..) End of disclaimer.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2]She told her Grammie that when she gets to Heaven and Our Lord and Poppy (my father who died in 1974) are there to meet her, we will all be there with her too, since God and Heaven operate outside the constricts of time. So that even though it [u]seems[/u] like a long time for us here on earth, it is no time at all in Heaven. With that, my mother gave a great big nod in agreement. [/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2] In a card she sent her just days before, she wrote: [/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]I pray that our Lord will hold you in His arms and in his Heart, that our Blessed Mother will cover you with her mantle and protect you with her holy scapular, and that dear St. Joseph will see you safely to Heaven, whether it be sooner or many years from now. (Remember when yo do get there to pray all the rest of us in, especially all your children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. And tell Jesus and Mary I love them and want to be a saint, and Poppy that I am looking forward to meeting him![/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2] [/size][size=2]I love you and am sending you many hugs and kisses. I cannot tell you how much I love you and am grateful to you for all the ways in which you have been an example for me. But better if you can come so you can see all the Sisters and your little grand-daughter who loves you with all her heart![/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=2] [/size][size=2]Lovingly in Jesus, Mary, and Joseph,[/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]

[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]On Sunday last, our beloved pastor, Fr. H. was able to come to her bedside and administer her final Sacrament of the Sick and give her absolution. And last night, her own beloved priest, Fr. B., who had been on retreat all week and had just returned hours before, prayed with us the prayers of the deceased and gave her the final blessing. When I told him that Sr. MT had told her dad (when he called the Carmel to let her know of her Grammie’s passing) that it was a blessing that she died on the Feast of the Sacred Heart (my mother had a great devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus - that painting was hung in the entryway of every house she ever owned) (and I’m sorry for all of the parentheticals……and the run-on sentences…...), Fr. B. told us that he had read that many people who have a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus die on Fridays, so Our Lord truly had a plan when He took her on this Friday, the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.[/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Please pray for our own Sr. MT, for because she has chosen the prayer and sacrifice that goes along with a vocation to the hidden life in Carmel, this is her first big test, so very soon after her solemn profession of the reality that she cannot be physically with her family to share in our collective grief. And pray for us, her parents and her brother, as we keenly feel the loss of our little one's comforting words and hugs, too. And all of you who are Catholic and share with us in the faith that we are all alive in Christ and members of the Church Militant here on earth, please pray that my mother passes quickly into the Church Triumphant in Heaven. [/font][/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]
[font=serif][size=3]

TheresaThoma

Many prayers for you Aineiora and for your daughter. Spelling and grammar go out the window in times like this. I understood you just fine.

Mary's Margaret

Such a beautiful and blessed passing I'm sure the voice Sr. MT's heart travelled directly into her Gramma's heart and brought her great comfort and deep love. May your mother be swiftly welcomed into the fullness of God's Presence. You and your family are in my prayers.

[quote name='nunfriend' timestamp='1340155653' post='2446523']
Hello,

Thankyou so much
[/quote]

Nunfriend, I don't think anyone welcomed you; thank you for doing this for your friend.

You may want to let the mom (and her daughter) know that VS is a very supportive place for those who are healing after leaving a commnity (or between communities) -- many of us have been through this and can help her during this time as well. this is a very hard thing to have to do.

Please let her know she has our love and our prayers.