An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mom Of Cloistered Nuns Support Group? (please :) )

emmaberry

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1340215212' post='2446748']
Nunfriend, I don't think anyone welcomed you; thank you for doing this for your friend.

You may want to let the mom (and her daughter) know that VS is a very supportive place for those who are healing after leaving a commnity (or between communities) -- many of us have been through this and can help her during this time as well. this is a very hard thing to have to do.

Please let her know she has our love and our prayers.
[/quote]

AnneLine ... the op said "Leaving for the convent" which implies entering, not leaving.

Oops... my bad. You are totally right, CMaria... and I need another cup of coffee!

But... if it would help the mom, she is welcome to join us here, too. Most of those going in here (and some of us who have come out!) know how hard it is for the parents, and would be happy to have her among us.

Even those who are excited about going in know it is hard for the parents.... and I think that all of us have had just a taste of that when we think of how much we miss some of our friends who have entered. How much harder it must be for a mom, dad and siblings! While we understand and value the entrance, not all family members feel the same way.... and it can be VERY hard for them. The sister (or brother or seminarian) has a new exciting life to get used to.. .while those left behind just feel the loss.... at least at first.

Will hold your friend, nunfriend, in my prayers in a special way.

Edited by AnneLine

Aineiora: May God comfort and bless your family as you go through this loss. Your daughter shows great spiritual maturity (ah the wisdom of those Carmelites!) in her words to her grandmother:
[quote name='Aineiora' timestamp='1340162162' post='2446583']
[size=4][font=serif]She told her Grammie that when she gets to Heaven and Our Lord and Poppy (my father who died in 1974) are there to meet her, we will all be there with her too, since God and Heaven operate outside the constricts of time. So that even though it [u]seems[/u] like a long time for us here on earth, it is no time at all in Heaven. With that, my mother gave a great big nod in agreement. [/font][/size]
[/quote]
Definitely food for meditation-thank you for sharing this with us. I hope when, God willing, I am in the cloister and God calls one of my loved ones home to Heaven, I can be as comforting and spiritually present as your daughter was.

Prayers for your family!

[quote name='nunfriend' timestamp='1340155653' post='2446523']
Hello,

I am new here and looking for support for one of my dearest friends. Her daughter is leaving for convent in August. My friend, the mother of this young lady is in need of support and communication with a mother of a cloistered nun who can share in the pain & loss she is experiencing.
:saint2:
Thankyou so much
[/quote]

Welcome! I would say your friend could talk with my mom, but she is scared and nervous as well, and their conversation might deteriorate into, "Oh it's so terrible!" and tears and such very fast!

Definitely have your friend talk to one of the moms of a nun on here-they are all so sweet.

I hope she finds a supportive shoulder to lean on and gains peace with her daughter's decision.