IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 Homemade Greek yogurt. FTW. [img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430012_10151353421960343_818085342_23180941_1029121596_n.jpg[/img]
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 Papist, FP, and I were discussing it on one of Papist's status updates... I decided to move the discussion.
PhuturePriest Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 I was an inspiration for a thread and it's not about sensitivity. Whoo!
i<3franciscans Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1338923884' post='2441299'] I did actually make that, though. [/quote]How does one make greek yogurt?
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1338924068' post='2441305'] How does one make greek yogurt? [/quote] You use a Greek yogurt culture (yes, there are different types). To make it really authentic you strain the whey out of it so it's really thick and creamy. I strain mine. It cuts 2 quarts of milk to about half that amount of yogurt once it's strained, but we like it better so it's worth it. My husband usually takes at least one cup of it to work to have with lunch every day. Generally we top it with blueberries (I buy them frozen and just put them in a bowl in the fridge to defrost... it's more economical than fresh). Sometimes I will make another fruit sauce to stir in, but the blueberries are my husband's favorite so I tend to stick with that since he eats most of it.
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 My wife's next batch, she is going to traditional Greek yogurt. I don't know the difference.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 I bought my cultures from here: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/yogurt-starter.html Once you get it started you can re-use some of your yogurt from the last batch to make the next one. You only have to buy more culture if you mess it up somehow.[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338924440' post='2441310'] My wife's next batch, she is going to traditional Greek yogurt. I don't know the difference. [/quote] Different yogurts actually have different bacterial cultures. Straining also makes a difference in texture.
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1338924368' post='2441309'] You use a Greek yogurt culture (yes, there are different types). To make it really authentic you strain the whey out of it so it's really thick and creamy. I strain mine. It cuts 2 quarts of milk to about half that amount of yogurt once it's strained, but we like it better so it's worth it. My husband usually takes at least one cup of it to work to have with lunch every day. Generally we top it with blueberries (I buy them frozen and just put them in a bowl in the fridge to defrost... it's more economical than fresh). Sometimes I will make another fruit sauce to stir in, but the blueberries are my husband's favorite so I tend to stick with that since he eats most of it. [/quote] This is whey over my head.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 http://www.amazon.com/Eurocuisine-2-Quart-Yogurt-Maker-YM260/dp/B002KBFO6C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338924591&sr=8-3 I bought this yogurt maker back in February, after having used other methods (like the crockpot and my turkey roaster). It's been worth every penny. Every batch has turned out perfect.
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1338923655' post='2441294'] Homemade Greek yogurt. FTW. [img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430012_10151353421960343_818085342_23180941_1029121596_n.jpg[/img] [/quote] I like how you put the yogurt in little single serving containers.
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1338924681' post='2441314'] [url="http://www.amazon.com/Eurocuisine-2-Quart-Yogurt-Maker-YM260/dp/B002KBFO6C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338924591&sr=8-3"]http://www.amazon.co...38924591&sr=8-3[/url] I bought this yogurt maker back in February, after having used other methods (like the crockpot and my turkey roaster). It's been worth every penny. Every batch has turned out perfect. [/quote] That's cooI. Maybe I can get my cooIer back.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338924837' post='2441315'] I like how you put the yogurt in little single serving containers. [/quote] It makes it easier for my husband to take to work. I have 2 different sizes as well, so I can make smaller bowls for the kids and bigger ones for him. I think they're 1 cup and half cup, but I don't fill them completely so that there's room to stir in fruit.
Papist Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 I just polished off 12oz, which my wife probably thought would be 2/3 days.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338924927' post='2441316'] That's cooI. Maybe I can get my cooIer back. [/quote] If she's interested in getting one I highly recommend it. There were some mixed reviews so when I made my first batch I closely monitored it. Some people complained that it only heated to 90-something degrees. It's true. But, when you put in the 110 degree milk the yogurt maker keeps it at roughly 110 degrees the while culturing process (I kept testing it throughout the day to be sure). Like I said, I've been using it at least once a week (sometimes I make yogurt 2-3 days in a row to get my fridge really stocked) since February and every single batch has turned out great. I think I average about 5 hours culture time. Very creamy, slightly tart, and really thick once I strain it. If you culture longer it will become more tart, if you like it that way, but my family prefers to have less of a bite to our yogurt, especially since I'm not adding any sugars to it.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338925347' post='2441321'] I just polished off 12oz, which my wife probably thought would be 2/3 days. [/quote] haha That's how it goes in my house, too. When I see we're down to 3 or 4 containers I start culturing again because I know that's only going to last 2 days at most.
Anomaly Posted June 5, 2012 Posted June 5, 2012 Great. Now I need to stop at the store and the way home. Greek yogurt and granola is the bestest for breakfast.
IcePrincessKRS Posted June 5, 2012 Author Posted June 5, 2012 I need to go check the yogurt I have straining... I think it's about time to put it in bowls.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now