MissScripture Posted August 20, 2012 Posted August 20, 2012 Yeah, we have a really small kitchen, so I'm trying to avoid buying more single use kitchen appliances, but I might just go for this.
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 20, 2012 Author Posted August 20, 2012 Yeah, I have a galley-type kitchen, long and narrow with limited space. I'm a bit of a freak for kitchen gadgets, though, so I really have to pace myself and wait for a few months before deciding that I really will use it alllll the time. It's the spontaneous purchases that always turn out to be the things I shouldn't have bought. We don't drink coffee so the yogurt maker sits in the place that a coffee pot probably would be. It stands next to my stand mixer and blender, the other gadgets are in the broom closet--which I outfitted with a shelf so I have extra space. Broom and mop are in my laundry "room"--a glorified closet just big enough to fit the machines. I figure if I want it that badly I'll make it fit. lol
MissScripture Posted September 8, 2012 Posted September 8, 2012 I just got my yogurt maker yesterday. I am trying it today...*crosses fingers* I hope it works...
Papist Posted September 12, 2012 Posted September 12, 2012 bump b/c I am eating homemade lemon yogurt.
Lil Red Posted September 12, 2012 Posted September 12, 2012 uh-oh Papist...probably not a good idea bringing this up, considering what happened in Icey's kitchen last night.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 12, 2012 Author Posted September 12, 2012 I have to replace my culture.
MissScripture Posted September 12, 2012 Posted September 12, 2012 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1347474182' post='2481736'] I have to replace my culture. [/quote] Did it stop working? How many batches did you get from it? Mine worked in the new yogurt maker! I just used a container from the store. I wanted to be sure it would work before spending money on a culture. John Paul got his fiirst yogurt on Monday for supper. He seemed to enjoy it, but wow! What a mess! Lol.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 13, 2012 Author Posted September 13, 2012 I couldn't tell you how many batches I got... pretty much once a week+ since February or March. It was working great. I made a batch of yogurt yesterday and put it in the fridge. Xander got in the fridge, pulled it out and dropped it. Spilling a full two quarts of yogurt---from which I would have started my next batch---all over the kitchen floor. He told me it was too heavy. I'll have to show you a picture later.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 13, 2012 Author Posted September 13, 2012 In other words, I have to order more because my son (accidentally) ruined the only batch I had.
MissScripture Posted September 13, 2012 Posted September 13, 2012 I was wondering if it was a failed batch or an oops by the kids. My laughter at that story will probably come back to forgive my unpleasant disposition in the butt when my son gets older...
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 13, 2012 Author Posted September 13, 2012 Just went back and checked, I bought my yogurt maker in February. Since then I have to have made around 30 batches. I know I made multiple batches some weeks and skipped a week here and there. If it hadn't hit the floor (which was in need of mopping) I would have used it indefinitely. [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1347497901' post='2481841'] I was wondering if it was a failed batch or an oops by the kids. My laughter at that story will probably come back to forgive my unpleasant disposition in the butt when my son gets older... [/quote] Wait till you see the picture! Lol it makes it funnier.
MissScripture Posted September 13, 2012 Posted September 13, 2012 I will definitely need to find room in the budget for that, then! And make sure my son doesn't try to take out the yogurt.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 13, 2012 Author Posted September 13, 2012 The website I linked to on the first page is where I buy it from, it's only 13 bucks for the Greek culture. Not too shabby for 30 plus batches. It comes with 2 packets but I made my first one before I got the yogurt maker and messed it up. Every one since I got it has been perfect.
MissScripture Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 I bought my cultures from here: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/yogurt-starter.html Once you get it started you can re-use some of your a prepared food made from milk curdled by the action of cultures from the last batch to make the next one. You only have to buy more culture if you mess it up somehow. Different yogurts actually have different bacterial cultures. Straining also makes a difference in texture. That website is where I ordered a vegan starter last night. :dance: I can't wait to have yogurt again! I think I used my yogirt maker twice before we had to go dairy free.
MissScripture Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 Yup. I have made yogirt without one, before, but much more effective with the maker. Lower failure rate. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EX16RY/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 10, 2013 Author Posted July 10, 2013 Yup, what MS said. It takes a some guesswork when you're using the oven or some other heat source to make your yoghurt. With a yogurt maker you just plug it in and it keeps a constant low heat while your yoghurt cultures. I had a couple batches fail when I was using other methods, but I have been using my yoghurt maker for months and every batch has turned out great.
PhuturePriest Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 This entire thread disgusts me. How dare you talk about a food that also has a dirty meaning only 2% of the population knows about! Seriously, I never knew there was a dirty meaning until all of the arguing about it inspired me to actually look it up. I never would have known if people didn't make a big deal out of it.
Roamin Catholic Posted July 10, 2013 Posted July 10, 2013 This entire thread disgusts me. How dare you talk about a food that also has a dirty meaning only 2% of the population knows about! Seriously, I never knew there was a dirty meaning until all of the arguing about it inspired me to actually look it up. I never would have known if people didn't make a big deal out of it. Wait, there is actually some reference on the internet of yogirt being dirty? I just assumed it was one person not paying attention who took things out of context then spread it to others who were never involved... The more you know. Also, yogurt makers rock!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now