An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Nun's Story (spoiler Alert!)

OnlySunshine

[quote]Savvy, what order is this? I'm curious. :) I grew up in Canada, am well-travelled, and speak multiple languages... [/quote]

Monastic community of Jerusalem. They came to Canada in 2004 from France.

Spem in alium

I saw most of this movie with my parents at the beginning of this year. I'd only just begun discerning, so it was quite a fascinating thing for me to see :)

From memory, there was a bit of tension in the film. The scene with the sanitarium patient terrified me. I can't believe Sr. Luke opened the door alone :o

It would be interesting to read the novel or the real story on which the film is based.

Hi, Spem,

I put in some thoughts on the novel in the other 'nuns story' thread that is on VS.

It is a very interesting novel, because you get 'inside Sister Luke's head' -- you understand more about her motivations and thought processes while she experiences her formation and life as a Sister. You also understand more about why she made the choices she did at various points.....

I'm not inclined to be TOO tough on her about the choice at the sanitarium..... yes, it was a failure in obedience... but having worked in a facility for seriously emotionally disturbed children that had some rooms that looked a whole lot like that padded room.... it is hard to know when the mental patients are OK and when they are not.... that's why those rules about ALWAYS more than one person present are in place (and not just in religious communities!) But it is always so easy to think that there is a good reason to make an exception 'just this once'... (in the book, she had volunteered to cover the ward alone while the others were at a party for the Rev. Mother (I think) -- and she didn't want to to call another sister or a nurse from the party. She told herself, what harm could there be in just giving her the cup of water 'she can keep the paper cup' -- and that was what got her into trouble. I can absolutely imagine a moment of which choice do I make... and she made the wrong one.

You might be able to find a copy of the book in a library -- it was published in the 1950's and often those are curled up on the shelves wondering if ANYONE will ever read me again! You could make a library book very happy!!!!! You also can find used ones on Amazon & similar places. Definitely a good read.... and I think all or most of the movie is on youtube... but get the book if you can.

Hope you are feeling better!

Edited by AnneLine

Strictlyinkblot

You can watch the full film on www.gloria.tv

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1339227088' post='2442862']
I saw most of this movie with my parents at the beginning of this year. I'd only just begun discerning, so it was quite a fascinating thing for me to see :)

From memory, there was a bit of tension in the film. The scene with the sanitarium patient terrified me. I can't believe Sr. Luke opened the door alone :o

It would be interesting to read the novel or the real story on which the film is based.
[/quote]

I know! I was horrified when she opened the door to the patient's cell alone! I kept saying, "Don't open that door! Don't you remember what Sister told you? She said that she is violent!" I couldn't believe how Archangel kept tearing at her habit and throwing her down to the ground. But it also showed their display of peace when neither Sr. Luke nor the other Sister in the Congo fought back against their attackers.

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1339227088' post='2442862']

[/quote]

Alas, the book is out of print, AFAIK. There is a used copy available [url="http://www.amazon.com/The-Nuns-Story-Kathryn-Hulme/dp/B000CBFXYA/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339230591&sr=1-2"]here[/url] for a reasonable price, and three or four others for what I think of as an unreasonable price. It's unfortunate, because, while the movie was excellent, the book is much fuller. [BTW, Audrey Hepburn is supposed to have said that she regretted not having made them give Sr. Luke some grey hair, when we see her leave the convent, to show the passage of time, and her struggles] I wish the book would be reprinted. At the time it came out, apart from Monica Baldwin's "I Leap Over the Wall", the average public knew nothing about either the formation or the inner lives of religious.

maximillion

There are lots of copies available on amazon uk......some for about £4 - not sure how much that is in dollars. If you can't get it through amazon for some reason pm me, I will buy it and send it to you.

StayingFaithful

Help, [email="Phammers!@I"]Phammers, [/email]I have sent a reply (maybe two) and a question but do not seem to find any response. :anyone:

I am new to Pham in terms of sending out replies, etc. but have reaped much encouragenment and learned much from visting. Would someone please help by responsding to this so I may know if my messages are getting out there? I think I may not using this site properly. Btw I never knew The Nun's Story was based on acutal nun's life and I had seen it a few times. Thanks!

Edited by StayingFaithful

Hi, Staying Faithful,

Welcome to PhatMass! Many times what people who are new do is to start a new topic (either in Vocation Station or in open mike, and tell us a little about yourself. Then people will welcome you, and you will start to recognize people when they post things.

After you have posted a few times, you will start to have more 'access' to different things on Phatmass, and it gets a little easier to figure out. One hint -- you won't be able to see your own post until after you have 'refreshed' your screen (or gone into another thread and come back into this one again.

Most people who come to vocation station are interested in exploring a religious vocation, but some of us (like me!) are just here to support those who are discerning.

You can also post a prayer request or two in the prayer room, or comment on some threads in other areas. You'll figure it out!

Again, welcome to PhatMass! :welcome:

Blessings,

AnneLine

maximillion

Welcome staying faithfull, yes we can all see your responses. The thing about not being able to see what you have posted confused me a little too as it is different to other boards I am on.....but your posts are there.
If you want to check go to your profile and click on 'posts' it will give you a list of them and if you click on one it will take you directly to it and you can then read responses people have made.....

There are also times when the phorum is quiet and there may not be any response for a couple of hours.

It's great you have joined us!

StayingFaithful

Thank you all SO much! I am very grateful for your welcome and suggestions. God bless you all!

Edited by StayingFaithful