An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It The Same For You?

Annie12

I'm not an emotional person but I have found something I cry about! I cry about holy things and stuff!!! It's the only thing that will make me shed tears of joy or sometimes if its someone hurting a Holy person I will cry tears of sorrow! (my brothers make me cry but that's a different story :hehe2: ). Like, I don't cry during movies or books like my friends do. It it the same for you? :saint2:

Rowan d'Alexandre

Yes. I haven't had a real cry in years with the exception of Adoration.

Edited by Rowan d'Alexandre

[quote name='Rowan d'Alexandre' timestamp='1339077864' post='2442153']
Yes. I haven't had a real cry in years with the exception of Adoration.
[/quote]

Yes! This!

I find that I cry whenever I'm confronted very intensely with something about myself in context of God, whether good or bad, small or large. It's very purifying.

know what I just remembered?!?! For some weird reason, tears start to flow when I say my rosary. I'm not crying but the tears just flow! Weird!

Nope, the majority of the time I cry, it's for really ridulous reasons! :) I do cry in Adoration at times, though.

Edited by Lisa

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1339075145' post='2442141']
I'm not an emotional person but I have found something I cry about! I cry about holy things and stuff!!! It's the only thing that will make me shed tears of joy or sometimes if its someone hurting a Holy person I will cry tears of sorrow! (my brothers make me cry but that's a different story :hehe2: ). Like, I don't cry during movies or books like my friends do. It it the same for you? :saint2:
[/quote]

Absolutely, yes. I cry when reading the story of the Visitation and learning about Divine Mercy because those are two things that touch my heart. I also cry during the scouring/crucifixion scenes in "Passion of the Christ" and the Visitation/birth of Jesus scenes during "The Nativity Story."

I've had profound moments in prayer and deep conversation with God about certain things in my life that caused me to cry tears of joy. When I received the extraordinary grace to continue discerning even though I had such a difficult time and thought it was time to give up, I cried tears of joy then, too. God has a way of tugging on your heartstrings when you develop your relationship with Him. Healing Eucharistic Processions at the Young Adult Retreat I attend each year do the same thing. :)

HopefulBride

Perfectly normal, a few weeks ago I was boohooing at the homily; then last sunday before I knew it I was crying while we were saying the Anima Christi after communion.

I guess being in love makes you sappy :love:

Edited by HopefulBride

AveMariaPurissima

Usually when I cry it's about really stupid stuff. Sometimes I feel like I must be really weird or something because religious things never make me cry...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1339075145' post='2442141']
[/quote]

There have been only a few times when I felt really emotional about holy things. The most memorable one is during my scrupulous days. I was so worried that I was in mortal sin, and I prayed to God, begging Him to let me know. I did the Act of Contrition beside my bed and this overwhelming feeling came over me. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it was the best feeling I had ever felt in my life. I think it is what Tim Staples explained as "feeling the presence of the Lord". The other time was in much the same setting and for the same exact reason. I asked Mary to let me know, and I prayed ten Hail Mary's. About halfway through the same exact thing happened. It was miraculous. The only other times where I kinda felt the same thing but it wasn't half as powerful were when I would go to confession while I was scrupulous. I would walk out of there with a very wonderful feeling. However, none of these times was I moved to tears. I'm just not a very emotional person. I don't say that to sound "manly" or anything, but I'm just not one to cry.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I cry at certain things, yes! I've had a great devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows for years now and a few months ago I started making a [url="http://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=537"]Consecration to Our Lady of Sorrows[/url] daily. One line in it is "receive me as a partaker in thy dolors" and ever since I started making the consecration I really do feel Our Lady sharing her sorrows with me. That probably sounds ridiculous but I swear it's true. When I meditate on the Stations of the Cross or pray the Chaplet of Seven Sorrows of Mary, stuff like that, I start to cry. That never used to happen until I started making the consecration.

Totally Franciscan

As the posters here will attest, it is perfectly normal for those who love God and His Blessed Mother. I cry too at the truly beautiful and truly sorrowful, and what could be more beautiful than Our Lord, as well as sorrowful for what He went through. I find Mass is where I tear up the most. I guess the person a few rows behind me saw me tearing up, and after Mass she told me she does the same thing!

Spem in alium

Yes :) This year, my emotions have really been touched by holy things.

I cried after Reconciliation. I cried while reading the Bible. I cried during the Stations of the Cross. I had a couple of bizarre experiences while saying the Rosary during Adoration. I cried while doing my assignment on Mary's Visitation to Elizabeth.

When I think about it, all these experiences have been accompanied by some kind of new realisation of God's glory, of His love for me, and of His mission for my life. So crying about it doesn't seem so baffling or embarrassing for me anymore :)