An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am In Need Of Advice

Lil'Monster

Like you said, think- and pray- before answering her! Some of the advice about about explaining what discernment means (not necessarily, *poof, you're a nun*) might be helpful.

I would explain the difference between being a sister and a nun--that most religious don't pray all day, which all of my friends thought when I first told them I was discerning. Of course you know your friend more than I do, but I might tell her that nuns and sisters don't give up marriage, since they really are brides of Christ, but they do give up having an earthly spouse and family. Instead, they are spiritual mothers and have Jesus as their Heavenly Spouse. I also know a lot of my relatives think sisters/nuns are cult-like--maybe she has these concerns as well. I'd reassure her of the freedom religious have, how they can see their family, and how they are extremely joyful people. I hope she understands!

Lil'Monster

What is actually the difference between a nun and a sister..I forgot?

My brain is not here.....it went to asleep hours ago......hehe

I am probably gonna wait for tomorrow to answer her questions. sigh

A 'nun' is contemplative, usually enclosed, but is also a 'sister,' whereas an active sister is not a 'nun.'

Here is a link! http://anunslife.org/resources/sister-or-nun/

Lil'Monster

Thanks!

I need more advice though...

I think my brain took a vacation or something.......

Kayte Postle

Pray pray pray of course lil-nunster. =) When I kinda went through the same situation I actually used a lot of religious life videos because I felt that sisters themselves could better put into words the beauty of religious life than I could at the time. I thought that the ND's promo was a great example, it has a great balance of showing the different aspects of their lives. (Since you are looking at the dsmme's you might want to watch some of their video's and decide if those would answer some of your friends questions, and would give her a more tangible look at what you might be called to)

But always pray. The Holy Spirit will give you the words, pray and ask for Him to come fill you before you set out to answer her questions.

Praying for you my dear!!

EDIT:
(Here's that video, and I can't seem to just make it a link, so I guess you can watch it right now.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFiNRvXBQw

Edited by Kayte Postle

Well the idea that it is good for some people to forego marriage in order to be freer to serve God goes way back. Here's the relevant passage from Corinthians.

[url="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%207:8-9&version=NIV"]http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%207:8-9&version=NIV[/url]

The way that celibacy has been explained that makes the most sense to me is in terms of freedom. A spouse has a priority claim on your love. So do your children. That doesn't mean that there is no space in your life for charity outside the family, but if you're giving all your energies To Save The World and in the process not paying enough attention to your own family, you're doing it wrong. A commitment to celibacy means that you don't have other people with those (very legitimate and real and important) claims on you and so you are free to love the whole world.

When it's explained THAT way, I can get it. And I get kind of weirded out when people talk in terms of "spiritual motherhood" but that's the idea behind the "spiritual motherhood" phrase.

As to whether or not this sort of celibate love is YOUR calling, well that's a whole different question. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. And that's what you're trying to discern.

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1339495863' post='2443836']
Mary is always a special case. Things are always "pre-emptive" in lieu of Christ -- think about her redemption -- it was before Christ died - BUT - still because Christ died.

Mary was not a perpetual virgin because she was consecrated - but rather was a perpetual virgin because of the special mission to be Mother of God. That Mary made a vow is up for debate (and you can fall on either side of the debate and still be a good Catholic (with distinctions of course) -- however I fall on the side that not only was she consecrated to God at an early age but that she in some fashion intended to [u]give[/u] herself perpetually to God (like a vow). The consecration however was not the motivating factor but the will and the heart of the Mother since she through prayer had graced understanding - even though she still traveled in faith and did not know the full plan of God.

Of course... there are likely some Franciscans out there who would want to put forth the idea that the Immaculate Conception was the reason Mary became Mother of God .................... but then we will really hijack this thread. :)

[b]Little Mon[/b] - Very nice post. What is wonderful about your approach is that you aren't trying to justify your decision nor are you saying you are doing anything but discerning ( you haven't thrown marriage out) but really are just asking for prayers -- which she would be able to get behind even if she disagrees about religious life. It probably is helping you clarify your own understanding of your vocation no?
[/quote]

Thank you! That makes way more sense than what I had been thinking about her perpetual virginity before. :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1339551821' post='2444144']
Thanks

Ok she did responded with

"okay i will pray for you to know God's will. :) what do you mean by religious life tho? you mean being a nun? what exactly do nuns do? You dont' think you were meant to get married?"

Hmmm I got to think about it some more before I answer her. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Sounds like she's a good friend. As already suggested you could show her videos about religious life or direct her towards one of the many websites out there. If sisters are giving a talk near you try to persuade her to go to it so she can ask questions directly.