An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dc/political Sisters?

emmaberry

Hi there! I am wondering if there are any sisters/communities whose main apostolate has to do with politics--ie attending pro-life rallies, etc. I don't know of any, but with this HHS trash going on I figured there might be some centered in DC or something.

Thanks for any replies! :)

Edited by emmaberry

HopefulBride

Sisters of Life. It's not so much about the politics of it but just guarding the sanctity of life and doing what it takes to do so.

There prolly needs to be.

Sister-Counselors of St Thomas More?

Black suit habit with generic nun's veil for court. Some other kind of habit within the convent?

Blessings,
Gemma

Sister Marie

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1339375157' post='2443280']
There prolly needs to be.

Sister-Counselors of St Thomas More?

Black suit habit with generic nun's veil for court. Some other kind of habit within the convent?

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Why couldn't their suit be their habit in the convent too?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339368609' post='2443252']
Hi there! I am wondering if there are any sisters/communities whose main apostolate has to do with politics--ie attending pro-life rallies, etc. I don't know of any, but with this HHS trash going on I figured there might be some centered in DC or something.

Thanks for any replies! :)
[/quote]

Definitely, the Sisters of Life! They are VERY active at the March for Life in DC every year. My friend, Sr. Annunciata Maria, was very active in the pro-life movement years before she joined and she truly believed God was calling her to continue this important ministry in religious life. When she found the Sisters of Life, she knew it was the perfect fit. Please pray for her, too! She is preparing to make First Profession of Vows in August. :)

OnlySunshine

Here are some other pro-life orders:

[url="http://www.exclusivesoftware.com/RoseGardenMission/default.html"]Franciscan Daughters of Mary[/url]
--While I don't know if they attend the March for Life in DC, they provide a home and counseling to women in threat of abortion.

[url="http://www.archindy.org/prolife/dedication.htm"]Servants of the Gospel of Life[/url]

Lilllabettt

Are you looking for an anti-abortion apostolate?
Or a focus on the more general category of "pro-life"? Or emphasis on the general category of social justice?

There a many women's communities who have a focus on social justice as part of their apostolate and "march" on political issues -- some at the March for Life ... and others against the death penalty ... and others at the School of Americas ... etc. If I'm not mistaken, the Salesians have a representative at the United Nations, and they advocate for many different things.

You should be aware that real and/or perceived over-involvement in politics is something that is bringing women's congregations in for criticism at the moment.

Lillabet: I'm more curious about those whose apostolate is catholic apologetics geared toward what it means to be catholic in the political world. Although I guess this already exists in the form of bishops... I could never lead that kind of life though, because, though, I love politics, thinking about it too much always ends in a marked decrease of charity in me. However, I'd love to see Sisters devoted to this cause (like the Sisters of Life!) but more active in the actual politics of our nation-bills, mandates, petitioning, etc-but like you said, some women religious are already under attack for this sort of thing, so it might not be the best idea.

Thanks for the replies!

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339376104' post='2443287']
Why couldn't their suit be their habit in the convent too?
[/quote]

That would be up to the aspirants. I was just giving the prompt.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1339380825' post='2443309']
Here are some other pro-life orders:

[url="http://www.exclusivesoftware.com/RoseGardenMission/default.html"]Franciscan Daughters of Mary[/url]
--While I don't know if they attend the March for Life in DC, they provide a home and counseling to women in threat of abortion.

[url="http://www.archindy.org/prolife/dedication.htm"]Servants of the Gospel of Life[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for remembering the latter one!!! Sr. Diane is a nice lady. She has tons of lay associates, but needs sisters. Their spirituality is Vincentian in the spirit of the Ascension.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339394012' post='2443394']
Lillabet: I'm more curious about those whose apostolate is catholic apologetics geared toward what it means to be catholic in the political world. Although I guess this already exists in the form of bishops... I could never lead that kind of life though, because, though, I love politics, thinking about it too much always ends in a marked decrease of charity in me. However, I'd love to see Sisters devoted to this cause (like the Sisters of Life!) but more active in the actual politics of our nation-bills, mandates, petitioning, etc-but like you said, some women religious are already under attack for this sort of thing, so it might not be the best idea.

Thanks for the replies!
[/quote]

Catholics United for Life, and the Priests for Life are both lay associations (yes, PFL is considered a priestly lay association which is permissible) and both have taken up the cudgels for pro-life issues.

I stay on the outside of politics so that I can keep some voice of reason. To be fully embroiled would harm objectivity.

The pope did tell Catholics to get involved in politics so that our voice would be heard. Ppl who can do this and not lose their souls by giving into the establishment are what's needed.

The faithful have a right to associate, and the Church will be very hands-off about such a right (unless something goes wrong), but there is another canon right after that which says if the faithful see a situation needing justice, and they have to associate to address the issue,[b][i] just do it. [/i][/b]Religious orders fall into this category. There is no guarantee that a religious community will emerge, but the faithful have the obligation to follow their consciences. Today, religious orders start as third orders (lay associations).

The religious sisters' political involvement [i]per se[/i] is not under the microscope, but the way that they're going about it, and the reasons for going about it, are. Also, for whom they are doing it is under investigation. The nuns who are pro-choice need to either come back to Truth or leave. Their being pro-choice makes them non-Catholic, and therefore they do not have a right to use the name of our faith. Abortion, homosexuality, and women priests are all straight from paganism. There was a lay woman "Catholic neo-pagan" as she called herself, who may actually be superior of one of these convents under investigation right now. She said herself in a publication that she was trying to bring Catholics back to their pagan roots.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339368609' post='2443252']
[/quote]

As other people have pointed out, many existing ministries can be considered political - promoting the welfare of unborn children and their parents, as the Sisters of Life do; campaigning against the death penalty, as Sister Helen Prejean does; and working for an end to war, as do the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace.

But all priests and Catholic congregations are forbidden to promote specific political parties or candidates, with good reason, and it would be quite difficult to refrain from that if sisters were actually working in the political sphere.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1339394012' post='2443394']
However, I'd love to see Sisters devoted to this cause (like the Sisters of Life!) but more active in the actual politics of our nation-bills, mandates, petitioning, etc-but like you said, some women religious are already under attack for this sort of thing, so it might not be the best idea.
[/quote]

Hmm... attacked is perhaps the wrong word - how about criticized?

Actually if you read the VII document on religious life [i]Perfectae Caritatis [/i] as well as the follow up document [i]Essential Elements[/i] you will see that the Church is emphatically against her religious being involved in politics in the manner you mentioned. It is contrary to the fundamental aim of religious life which is assiduous union with God in prayer. Politics are proper to the lay life. This doesn't mean that a secular institute (another form of consecrated life) wouldn't be able to be devoted to such a cause.

Edited by mantellata

OnlySunshine

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1339415450' post='2443429']
Hmm... attacked is perhaps the wrong word - how about criticized?

Actually if you read the VII document on religious life [i]Perfectae Caritatis [/i] as well as the follow up document [i]Essential Elements[/i] you will see that the Church is emphatically against her religious being involved in politics in the manner you mentioned. It is contrary to the fundamental aim of religious life which is assiduous union with God in prayer. Politics are proper to the lay life. This doesn't mean that a secular institute (another form of consecrated life) wouldn't be able to be devoted to such a cause.
[/quote]

I agree. I wouldn't want to be part of a community that was radically pro-active in matters of politics. It could lead to some unsavory disputes within the house.