An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dc/political Sisters?

emmaberry

Sister-Counslors vs. Political party Sister-Counslors. There is a difference. Laws dealing with religious freedoms are not partisan, are they?

Advocates are needed everywhere, but primarily for the poor, that their rights are not oppressed. Pro-life is the big frog in the legislative pond right now, but what other rights have to be fought for? What about the right to homeschool? Is that partisan?

There's a difference between being a sister-attorney at bat for a poor mother, and being Rep or Senator Sister So-and-So with a distinct letter in parens after one's name.

Blessings,
Gemma

Gemma, I don't think this is relevant, as such 'sister counsellors' don't exist and nor are they likely to. There are plenty of sisters who already do advocate for people who are poor and marginalised as a natural part of their work, and all sisters everywhere are already concerned with religious freedom as it affects them personally.

There are several different Catholic opinions on things like homeschooling. It would be partisan to impose one opinion on a whole congregation, and wrong to make promoting one outlook into the congregation's ministry.

The original poster asked a specific concrete question. Rather than fantasising about the creation of new congregations and dreaming up the habit they will wear, it's more practical to give specific concrete answers about the many wonderful congregations that already exist to meet these needs in society.

Edited by beatitude

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1339423022' post='2443456']
Gemma, I don't think this is relevant, as such 'sister counsellors' don't exist and nor are they likely to. There are plenty of sisters who already do advocate for people who are poor and marginalised as a natural part of their work, and all sisters everywhere are already concerned with religious freedom as it affects them personally.

There are several different Catholic opinions on things like homeschooling. It would be partisan to impose one opinion on a whole congregation, and wrong to make promoting one outlook into the congregation's ministry.

The original poster asked a specific concrete question. Rather than fantasising about the creation of new congregations and dreaming up the habit they will wear, it's more practical to give specific concrete answers about the many wonderful congregations that already exist to meet these needs in society.
[/quote]

Charisms are founded to meet needs and those associating have a right to do so. My "fantasy" as you put it could actually find the bullseye in someone's heart, and turn into a charism. It only takes an idea being proposed.

Having reviewed the OP, I apologize for my having taken an interest, while canon law says vocations are everyone's business.

BTW--some of those "fantasies" are starting to emerge. Stifle not the Spirit.

Blessings,
Gemma

Gemma, I have looked at your website a few times, which seems to consist of dozens and dozens of different proposed communities. There is a lot of information on what the sisters will be wearing, and not much else. There is no indication, for example, of how aspirants will receive formation - except online, via Yahoo group, with formation being led by yourself. From what I can make out, you are a married woman, you have never been a novice mistress or even part of a religious community, and your projects don't have any input from Church officials. In all honesty, you come across as a very sincere and well-intentioned person who is obsessed with religious life, especially the religious habit, and who gets touchy and passive-aggressive ("I apologise for having taken an interest...") when challenged about the viability of her ideas.

[quote]

My "fantasy" as you put it could actually find the bullseye in someone's heart, and turn into a charism. It only takes an idea being proposed.
[/quote]

People can have a very naive and romantic idea of religious life. Having a few people contact you to say that they would love to be part of such-and-such a community is not necessarily proof that a charism is 'emerging', and people being critical of your tendency to advertise communities that don't yet exist are not necessarily stifling the Spirit. Lately all your posts seem to have been adverts for your different ideas, and this is concerning to me, especially as your 'group' doesn't have a diocesan support, a physical address, or even any sign that there are more organisers involved than yourself - and we don't even know your real name. I can well believe that women would get fired up by the idea of being part of a new foundation and contact you. What I struggle to see is that you have the necessary expertise or practical means to support them.

Vocations are everybody's business in that we need to pray passionately and lovingly for each person to know and love God's will for them. This does not mean that we are qualified to offer any more than that. If you do claim to offer something more, don't be touchy or upset when people look for evidence of your qualifications (Church support, premises, experience of religious life, etc).

Sister Marie

The above post is the reason why I made the habit comment. I've tried to stay out of any discussion about Gemma's projects but as a religious sister I have a lot of concern about them. There is so much detail put into habits and horariums and many of the projects which I have read up on are simply not practically or financially feasible for life in the current cultural, social, and economic climate in which we live. The spirit or charism, the founding experience, the call, fervor for the apostolate - these are all essential to a vocation to religious life within a particular congregation and as such are particular to one who answers the call.

Religious life is one among very few things that you can't just google in order to understand. It is a lived experience - a conversion, a matter of the heart. It doesn't matter how many times you read Vita Consecrata or The Essential Elements of Religious Life. To truly have an understanding of a vocation to the religious life requires a living out of it (this living out starting as discernment). The main formation of a religious, although firmly rooted in the study of scripture and church documents, is more an experience and a participation in the life than a class and it requires the presence and guidance of an experienced religious - not a curriculum. While much "book" learning does happen in formation - the long lasting lessons are lessons of the heart and lessons of conversion that come from the Lord through the formator - a religious.

It is commendable that you, Gemma, desire to promote vocations to religious life and so I ask for your prayers and your sacrifices offered to God for the life of all institutes of religious life. You may have a "right" to associate, but just because something is a "right" does not mean that it is the correct or good thing to do. I know it has been said before, but you could be drawing young women less experienced in discernment away from already established institutes that are already practicing many of the charisms and spiritualities that you propose and that don't come to fruition.

I do hope that you can accept this in the spirit in which it was written. Religious life is [u]not[/u] easy and it is not simple - it is a [u]great[/u] life - but it is not to be undertaken lightly or without proper formation and help. The primary reason we enter religious life is for the salvation of our souls and then for the salvation of the souls of those around us. Do know that you are taking on the responsibility of providing a lifestyle that leads to salvation to the women who come to you and who entrust their vocations to you.

Edited by Sister Marie

While I appreciate everyone's concerns, I do have resources available for the souls who come to us. The affiliate founders are the ones who will be responsible for making the charism come to pass. My SD is a Dominican who has been part of an emerging charism, but went to the OP when that group decided to disband. He has 25 years of experience with the defunct Fellowship of Emerging Religious Communities.

My "obsession" with the habit is an appreciation for the garb. Since my organization supports emerging charisms and their founders, I have to be knowledgable.

Our CONF affiliate founders are very comfortable with their situations, and have the patience to live their charisms as laity, while documenting their inspirations. We discuss where they can go for their founders' novitiates. We have studied the Magisterial documents, and one of the affiliate founders has an MDiv, and is willing to teach on the Theology of the Religious Life.

CONF itself is developing statutes as a private lay association and will eventually have non-profit status for its building projects. The going is very slow, and we mean for it to be slow, due to the advice of former emerging charism adherents. I realize the long-term dreams are financially burdensome, but they will get here when it's time.

Those who are with us are content with the set-up.

My local ordinary has all of my links, and the local clergy and religious are supportive. I'm not doing this in a vacuum. I reveal my name to those involved when we have corresponded and I am assured that they are trustworthy with the information. At hubby's request I cannot reveal my real name on the internet nor on these forums. The clergy understand.

I did work a lot with the nuns before I married and sought out a lot of advice from them. I have had the support of the clergy in every diocese in which I have resided.

Blessings,
Gemma

Sister Marie

What diocese are you in now? Could we email the vocation director of that diocese and receive confirmation that they are indeed supportive of your efforts? Do you have any letter of affirmation or something that could put us at ease?

Thanks
SM

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339434468' post='2443502']
What diocese are you in now? Could we email the vocation director of that diocese and receive confirmation that they are indeed supportive of your efforts? Do you have any letter of affirmation or something that could put us at ease?

Thanks
SM
[/quote]

Everything that I am doing is at the private lay association of the faithful level, which does not require any letters of approval unless seeking non-profit status. Cloister Outreach itself has a verbal nihil obstat from another bishop, and that is accepted wherever I live. The three charisms discussed with the first bishop of Knoxville are coming to pass, as well as some others.

Msgr Mo West is our Chancellor, (Diocese of Charlotte, NC), who usually fields the questions. I send a yearly report to the bishop, and email whenever necessary. There is nothing else required. There is a pdf from the canon law association which explains lay associations. The emerging charisms are known as preparatory associations, and it is up the the adherents to decide when they are ready for recognition. Our lay associations are buffer zones for the preparatory associations. Both are permitted distinctive garb.

To which community do you belong?

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma

woah. just woah. Let's remember charity people! :) I understand the concerns being stated, but I can't help but feel empathy for the one being questioned in this situation. Maybe continue the conversation on a private message? Like I said, I know next to nothing about what is being discussed in the last few posts, but it caught my attention and concern.

Thanks for everyone's insightful replies to this thread! After reading the responses, I see that a religious community involved deeply in politics would not really be a true religious community. However, I am glad to know that there are lay people involved in this. I was reading an article on the recent protests to the HHS mandate and thought, "How razzle dazzle would it be to organize/attend marches/etc all the time!"

Edited by emmaberry