An Old School Catholic Message Board

Need Help Refining An Idea

Lil Red

I was reading [url="http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=34"]this article[/url], (thanks cmom!) and I would love to refine this idea and take it to my church with the idea of starting a group that would help families post-partum. My priest is a very details kinda guy, so I would need to take more than just an idea to him to really get it off the ground. Ideas?

I would call around other parishes or check with your own parish and see what they currently have going on. My ex-parish, has lot's of 'ministries' that fall under Pastoral Care Ministries. Something specific like this would be a particular Ministry. For example, they have Nursing Home Visitiation, Meal Delivery, or Bereavement (there's at least a dozen) that have a person in charge, all under an umbrella for Pastoral Care. I would talk to someone like that (hopefully in your own parish) and see the guidelines of how they operate. Specifically, what you would want to do, whay your own time availability would be (you would be doing most of the work at first), then obtaining some additional volunteers once you've gotten a general idea of what you'd like to do, are there costs involved, how would they be paid, do you have enough time or volunteers to do these things, what are the parish or Diocesan guidelines for screening and conduct in parish ministries that visit homes. My ex-parish is good about notifying in the bulletin and website and usually fiddlers people through Pastoral Care. It sounds like an excellent ministry that would be useful for new parents, parents with critically sick kids or family members, elderly, etc. Who wouldn't want someone to come and clean or do chores or errands with no strings attached to visit or chit-chat. Certainly an opportunity for volunteers from 1 or 2 kids from a youth group with adult supervision to go vacuum, clean a kitchen, get a grocery list and run a couple of errands.

Strictlyinkblot

Maybe some kind of baby sitting/play date rota. People in the group agree to care for each other's older kids. Or, if the group agrees, give new mum hand-made baby sitting vouchers for her to cash in when she needs some time e.g. I will take your older kids to the zoo for two hours on a Saturday or I will pick up 'Betsy' from school every day for a week'. Also, it would be great if some of the people in the group had a particular skill, like a hair-dresser or someone who's really good at cooking. They could also give the new mum a hand-made voucher for a shampoo and set in the comfort of her own home/salon.

Actually, do a google search for how to write a proposal for Church Ministry first, then fill out what you know or plan to do and then contact other ministry leaders when you have questions that are specific for your parish or diocese.

Archaeology cat

My parish has an Elizabeth ministry, but I don't know if they do concrete things like this. Would be great if they did. I'd personally decline the babysitting, but play dates are nice. Food is welcome, and doing laundry is especially welcome! It's a great list.

perhaps you could start the program as the ladies are pregnant... invite them into the group, have some prayer/bible study, and then after the birth, everyone knows everyone a little better and that might make for some easier times?

iono, i'm a guy, i should really shut up when it comes to women and childbirth.

It sounds really razzle dazzle, tho, red. :) like very razzle dazzle!!!

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1339788448' post='2445097']
perhaps you could start the program as the ladies are pregnant... invite them into the group, have some prayer/bible study, and then after the birth, everyone knows everyone a little better and that might make for some easier times?

iono, i'm a guy, i should really shut up when it comes to women and childbirth.

It sounds really razzle dazzle, tho, red. :) like very razzle dazzle!!!
[/quote]

no, i was wondering how we might incorporate the Catholic aspect. good idea!

might really be razzle dazzle for first time moms, too...what to expect...what a catholic household may look like? there is a good book I have at home.. i will pm you later with the title/author...might be some good stuff....

maybe coordinate with any homeschoolers in the area? iono I am going all crazy... i will shut up now.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1339789991' post='2445119']
might really be razzle dazzle for first time moms, too...what to expect...what a catholic household may look like? there is a good book I have at home.. i will pm you later with the title/author...might be some good stuff....

maybe coordinate with any homeschoolers in the area? iono I am going all crazy... i will shut up now.
[/quote]

no, i think that's a good thought. i know i didn't know about even little things i could do with my babies, until my mom & i started talking.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1339789991' post='2445119']

[/quote]

I like Dora and Diego..Spongebob is over-rated.

PhuturePriest

MIkolbe, you seriously make me wonder how you stay a moderator when you are always changing what I say. :P Then again, nobody will likely read this in its proper form since you will change this too.

PhuturePriest

Seeing as how MIkolbe will not stop, I suppose I should try to contribute to the actual thread.

I think a lot of good ideas have been thrown around. I am sorry that I do not have any ideas since I am trying to be as little productive as possible today, but hopefully others can throw around a few more good ones.