An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Who Have Left The Convent

To Jesus Through Mary

To Jesus Through Mary

Hi! Long time since I started a topic. I have been away. You guessed it- in the convent (SSVM). I am really struggling right now with adjusting to life again. For those of you who have left the convent, and if you feel lead, could you throw me a message. I would love to correspond with you a bit, if you have time.

Strictlyinkblot

I can only offer prayers as I've not entered religious life before. It must be very difficult for you

Spem in alium

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1340436796' post='2447826']
I can only offer prayers as I've not entered religious life before. It must be very difficult for you
[/quote]

Ditto. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

AccountDeleted

Feel free to PM or email me if you would like to. i am not sure would I could offer apart from prayers. It's difficult dealing with all the feelings but hopefully it will bring you closer to God. Trust Him, He loves you more than you can possibly imagine.

We offer support services for those who have left the convent. (We tried to do so for the former friars, but they seemed to lose their voices). The members of this group are mulling a private lay association which would have has the common bond that of having left religious life, with members maintaining their spiritualities. [url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nearly_nun_club/"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nearly_nun_club/[/url]

When applying, please keep in mind that the group is closed to outsiders (who cannot read the posts) and debriefing is the name of the game.

Blessings,
Gemma

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1340449138' post='2447847']
We offer support services for those who have left the convent. (We tried to do so for the former friars, but they seemed to lose their voices). The members of this group are mulling a private lay association which would have has the common bond that of having left religious life, with members maintaining their spiritualities. [url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nearly_nun_club/"]http://groups.yahoo....early_nun_club/[/url]

When applying, please keep in mind that the group is closed to outsiders (who cannot read the posts) and debriefing is the name of the game.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

While I'm sure Gemma means well, I would be hesitant about joining any clubs at this stage. Perhaps get some private correspondence going with a few people who have actually been through the experience themselves first, and also seek help from your priest or SD. Groups can be very dangerous, even closed online groups. If you do join one, be wary of what personal information you give out. Just a caution from experience.

PS - or only join a group with a reference from someone you know personally who has personal experience with that particular group. Just because you know someone online doesn't make them someone you can necessarily trust with private information. sorry to be a little paranoid but experience....

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1340450633' post='2447852']

While I'm sure Gemma means well, I would be hesitant about joining any clubs at this stage. Perhaps get some private correspondence going with a few people who have actually been through the experience themselves first, and also seek help from your priest or SD. Groups can be very dangerous, even closed online groups. If you do join one, be wary of what personal information you give out. Just a caution from experience.

PS - or only join a group with a reference from someone you know personally who has personal experience with that particular group. Just because you know someone online doesn't make them someone you can necessarily trust with private information. sorry to be a little paranoid but experience....
[/quote]

Everyone on there except me is a former religious. The feedback has been positive, and they are grateful for the group. They support each other and talk to each other regarding their experiences. I simply keep the group running.

My local ordinary knows about the group.

If anyone has been part of our groups, and has received nasty emails, we are stalking a stalker. Please report the incidents to the appropritate ISP and to us.

Blessings,
Gemma

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1340456889' post='2447867']
Everyone on there except me is a former religious. The feedback has been positive, and they are grateful for the group. They support each other and talk to each other regarding their experiences. I simply keep the group running.

My local ordinary knows about the group.

If anyone has been part of our groups, and has received nasty emails, we are stalking a stalker. Please report the incidents to the appropritate ISP and to us.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Your local ordinary may well know the group but unless he is prepared to issue a statement using his own name and signature verifying this information, it is still just an anonymous reference given by you. If you would like to post information that allows the group to be checked out, including the name and contact details of your ordinary and those who claim to be former religious, then by all means, people can do this and make the appropriate decisions, but until that time, it is still just an anonymous internet group. And you say you already have a stalker. That is why I say to be careful. And unless those who were 'former religious' according to you are prepared to reveal their own personal details, one has only their word for it that they were in fact religious and can speak with any authority. The good thing about a personal communication, such as email, is that one can do more checking and verify the person's identity. Even then, it isn't perfect, but much preferable to an anonymous internet group. That shouldn't stop anyone from joining your group as an anonymous poster, as long as they don't reveal too much personal information online. Just my caution from experience.

To Jesus Through Mary

Thanks you all for your most kind replies and private messages. Most of all thank you so much for your prayers. I wasn't 'in' for that long (only about 9 months), so I am surprised how much it is affecting me. So hopefully the adjustment will get easier soon.

Thanks again for everything!! And I will be careful about how much info I give anywhere. Good advice.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1340457811' post='2447869']

Your local ordinary may well know the group but unless he is prepared to issue a statement using his own name and signature verifying this information, it is still just an anonymous reference given by you. If you would like to post information that allows the group to be checked out, including the name and contact details of your ordinary and those who claim to be former religious, then by all means, people can do this and make the appropriate decisions, but until that time, it is still just an anonymous internet group. And you say you already have a stalker. That is why I say to be careful. And unless those who were 'former religious' according to you are prepared to reveal their own personal details, one has only their word for it that they were in fact religious and can speak with any authority. The good thing about a personal communication, such as email, is that one can do more checking and verify the person's identity. Even then, it isn't perfect, but much preferable to an anonymous internet group. That shouldn't stop anyone from joining your group as an anonymous poster, as long as they don't reveal too much personal information online. Just my caution from experience.
[/quote]

The former religious on the group have been through correspondence with me. Since some have already been on PM, I am familiar w/their stories, and don't correspond as much with them as with others.

The members may eventually reveal who they are, but for now, they are content to be able to correspond w/each other on the group. Because of lay association status, a letter from the Chancery wont be forthcoming until much further down the line, and there is evidence of its being beneficial to the participants. Even then, a letter more than likely wont be forthcoming unless the lay association which grows from the group seeks non-profit status.

Chanceries don't issue letters for lay associations until way down the road, if at all. I am a vocation facilitator trying to help the souls who cross my path. In this case, it is bringing the walking wounded into association w/each other.

The stalker has a particular IP address. They are a supporter of the heterodox segment of the LCWR and a hater of the habit. Please pray for them.

Blessings,
Gemma