An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Who Have Left The Convent

To Jesus Through Mary

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1340465698' post='2447896']
The former religious on the group have been through correspondence with me. Since some have already been on PM, I am familiar w/their stories, and don't correspond as much with them as with others.

The members may eventually reveal who they are, but for now, they are content to be able to correspond w/each other on the group. Because of lay association status, a letter from the Chancery wont be forthcoming until much further down the line, and there is evidence of its being beneficial to the participants. Even then, a letter more than likely wont be forthcoming unless the lay association which grows from the group seeks non-profit status.

Chanceries don't issue letters for lay associations until way down the road, if at all. I am a vocation facilitator trying to help the souls who cross my path. In this case, it is bringing the walking wounded into association w/each other.

The stalker has a particular IP address. They are a supporter of the heterodox segment of the LCWR and a hater of the habit. Please pray for them.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
You don't address the issues I raised but this thread isn't about your group so I think we can let it drop. We have each stated our points of view. I would be wary of joining any online group initially.

I was a postulant in an active order right out of HS. Though the only thing I ever wanted to do was be a Nun, I was not ready psychologically and emotionally, and my postulant directress and I butted heads. I would talk to the priest in confession and he would say just stick it out for a few more months, and do not let her mess this up for you. Now in retrospect it all makes so much sense to me, and I realize that no matter how deeply we want to live religious life, it is the rare person who is ready for all of the adjustments at such a young age. In the end I became so overwhelmed and stressed, I did end up leaving, but was sorry I did for many years afterward. I loved that community, and the nuns and my classmates. I felt like a fish out of water, and walked around in a daze for months. It was almost like I was disoriented,and living in another universe, but trying to cope day to day. In God's loving wisdom, my Parish priest had known me well for many years, and he gave me a lot of support, advice and spiritual direction. For what it's worth a period of 2-3 years where you can be self supporting, go to school, be independent, will make all the difference. And perhaps you will find another time and place to pursue your dream of being a nun. God Bless you on your journey. We do a lot of growing and changing between the years of 18-24. Many communities today are seeing the wisdom of requiring their applicants to get some experience, maturity and independence before apply for entrance. Where I live anyone entering religious life has a Spiritual Director and is given a round of tests (MMPI, Strength Inventory, and others I can't remember)

If you already do not have a Spiritual Director, check with some Nun's or Monks communities to see if they have someone or could recommend someone to you. Most religious have a SD ongoing.

Like stricktlyinkblot, I have not been in religious life so I can only offer my prayers and sympathy. However, I can say that VS is the right place to be-you will find so many supportive shoulders to lean on here.

God bless your transition!

Jesus through Mary,
When replying to your thread, I just was trying to share a bit of my pain and heartache after leaving. I have no idea how old you are, or your circumstances. I do know that this must be a tough time for you. Regardless of the reasons why one leaves Monastic/Religious life, there is always such a deep sense of loss, of disconnection from those whom we cared about and perhaps the dashing of ones dreams and intentions for ones life. Hold fast to your prayer life, seek comfort with friends and give yourself some mental and psychological space. Just not having the built in order and schedule to our day is difficult. Prayers for you.