An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Deal With Parents When Discerning?

emmaberry

Queen'sDaughter

I really think that people have different ways of expressing their faith. In my own family, we are very devout, but our daily conversation rarely mentions Jesus or the saints. We are so steeped in faith that talking about it seems unneccessary. Of course my younger siblings are taught the faith and read to from the Bible and the catechism, and we attend daily Mass as we can.

Some people simply are not demonstrative. This has nothing to do with there love and commitment to Jesus, but just how they express it.

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1340496473' post='2448076']
I really think that people have different ways of expressing their faith. In my own family, we are very devout, but our daily conversation rarely mentions Jesus or the saints. We are so steeped in faith that talking about it seems unneccessary. Of course my younger siblings are taught the faith and read to from the Bible and the catechism, and we attend daily Mass as we can.

Some people simply are not demonstrative. This has nothing to do with there love and commitment to Jesus, but just how they express it.
[/quote]

[i]This[/i]. Is so important. I definitely know people like this, and often my favorite relationships are with people like this; you [i]know[/i] you're united in Christ, but you don't have to talk about it to make it true.

Edited by Safia

Thank for the example of your own family, Queen'sDaughter. I know you're entering the Benedictines of Mary, so it gives me great hope that, if you are so comfortable with your family's different ways of expressing the faith, then maybe I can get to that point before I enter too!

Safia: How are we not friends! I came home this summer and told MY dad I was going to drop out of school to find and enter the convent, and he said pretty much the same thing-but rather than saying that I was infatuated he said I was irking my duties and being irresponsible. Just like you, I have had family and friends who have talked at me as if this will blow over...as if Jesus is an inconvenience, like a bug that you can shoo away if what He asks for isn't comfortable or pleasant.

[quote name='Safia' timestamp='1340490070' post='2448024']
two people can love the same thing, but will do so in different ways, and have radically different experiences of and perspectives on it.

It is a tremendous cross for me, in some ways, to set aside everything that my life has become -- fire, for Him -- and not discuss it, but rather to live it out within the confines of the framework of my dad's life, and the life of his friends. I feel terribly vain saying it, but my spiritual director told me it's just true: what we've experienced is personal, unique, and our own.
[/quote]

I think this is really good advice--at the very least it is a test of charity. You seem to be handling your situation better than I! My prayers are with you and your family.

Deus te Amat

Emma, read the life of St. Catherine. Even the saints had to struggle with parents who didn't understand. You know my story. I'm very careful about what I say and how I approach things. I have to be. You can't change them. They have to choose to change, and so all you can do is pray and have patience. Wait for them to come to you. Love them. Be with them. Pray for them. Lead by example, not force.

Thanks Deus te Amat--it is always good to hear that, lest I forget. I actually don't know your story, or I forgot. Is it on VS?

Strictlyinkblot

I wish my father went to weekly mass. I'm not trying to belittle what you are feeling. Give them time, Our Lord will give them the grace to accept your vocation.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340411959' post='2447672']
That's exactly why my dad does it--he is a lawyer and just needs something to take his mind off his cases. I want to tell him, "Go see Jesus in Adoration! Go to daily Mass! But he gets defensive when I suggest this.

I am worried that my vocation is making my parent's angry at God and drawing them away from spiritual things.
[/quote]

:) I have to laugh at the "go see Jesus in Adoration." When I'm exhausted, prayer is really, really, really hard. Why? Because your mind is on other things (your dad's mind probably starts wandering onto his cases, akin to my mind's wandering to the software issues at work). TV is great at that point :).

Parents stress over vocations ... it can be a hard loss for them. Give your parents some time. Most parents come around at some point. :)

Shoot -- I *wished* I had had parents that went to Mass. Or even married in the Church. That is amesomeness.

..... OOOOOOOOOOH. I forgot.

Your parents are converts. They may not understand the religious vocation at all -- a lot of protestants (and other religions) have a hard time understanding how a woman or a man can forgo marriage for God.

That could be a big part of the problem ... what would I do? Would they be open to receiving a book on the lives of the Saints? That could possibly help (and if they pray at all, that could be a prayer aid).

Praying.

So, just thought I would share my experiences with you. When I was first realizing my vocation to religious life, ALL I wanted to do is pray and read Holy books! I was and am head over heals in love with Jesus! I remember going to school and it was so internally painful for me. I just wanted to go home and pray! I know how you feel! So, I was worried about my brother's faith life, but then it occurred to me that all I can do is pray and trust in Jesus that he will take care of it. My brother is an alter server but I think I was tempted into thinking that i was better than him or something. I really have to watch the way i think and check myself all the time. Being new to the whole discerning religious life thing, I only recently realized that a religious vocations really isn't about me at all. It's about others and ultimately Jesus. Just trust in Jesus to guide you through this and be assured that the pain you feel is normal and Jesus will be your guide! Hope this has helped! :saint2:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340503107' post='2448132']
Thanks Deus te Amat--it is always good to hear that, lest I forget. I actually don't know your story, or I forgot. Is it on VS?
[/quote]

I told you it in campus ministry that one night... We know each other irl, remember?

OH MY GOSH IS THAT YOU? :doh:

duh. duh. DUH. Yes--I know your story. I thought this was some random other person who was entering the NDs in August! Crazy!

Edited by Lil Red
please don't use poster's real names without their permission

• 5 weeks later...

VSers, please pray for my 10 hour roundtrip drive and psychological testing tomorrow from 2-5 mountain time zone. Please pray especially for the travel, as it is on a two lane highway where deaths occur almost daily.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343103144' post='2458355']
VSers, please pray for my 10 hour roundtrip drive and psychological testing tomorrow from 2-5 mountain time zone. Please pray especially for the travel, as it is on a two lane highway where deaths occur almost daily.
[/quote]

Will do. May St. Christopher pray for your journey and may your Guardian Angel keep you safe. Amen.

I hope your testing goes well! I can't wait to finish mine on Saturday. :)

Prayers for you! I'll ask my guardian angel to check up on you periodically -- how about that? :)