An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Directors.

Spem in alium

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Kylie Spinelli' timestamp='1341368340' post='2452208']
This topic has actually been on my mind a lot... I've been discerning religious life for about 9 months... Do you think I should ask around for one, or should I wait a bit longer into my discernment??
Thanks and God Bless!
[/quote]

It is NEVER too early to get a spiritual director. They are invaluable to your discernment and finding a good one is like finding gold. There are so few priests that are experienced or that have the time, so you may have to ask around a bit. If you are in college and you have a Newman Center, that is a good place to start. Otherwise, I'd begin with asking your parish priest(s). You can also ask a Sister or Brother religious to help you. There are some lay people who have received certification for spiritual direction. Personally, I think having someone who is a member of clergy or religious life is the best idea because they've been there and done that. :)

I had a spiritual director for a short period of time from January 2009 to July 2009. He also doubled as my regular confessor and we met every 2 to 4 weeks depending on his schedule. He also assisted me when I needed a reference letter for when I was planning to work with the community I was discerning in their apostolate. Unfortunately, I did not feel that I benefited very much from our meetings. I liked being able to have regular Confession, but that was all I was gaining from it. He was not experienced in spiritual direction and it was apparent that his pastoral duties were causing problems with our meetings because he was so busy. I eventually broke of our relationship, but I still maintain friendship with him and see him from time to time. I haven't found a spiritual director since. My Catholic therapist is unofficially playing the role, but I wish my pastor was able to give me direction. He has offered to help as much as he can. Fortunately, I just found out that we are getting a deacon soon, so that may give me a better opportunity.

Anyway, I would recommend that you read [i][url="http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Spiritual-Direction-Divine-Within/dp/0892838108"]Seeking Spiritual Direction[/url][/i] by Fr. Thomas Dubay. It gives you an idea of what to look for and who to ask. :)