An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dicerners Under 20?

Annie12

OnlySunshine

Sometimes, I wish I were under 20. I'll be turning 29 this month. I am starting to feel old. I'll feel even older next year when I turn the big three-zero. :twitch:

Lil'Monster

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341381257' post='2452258']
Sometimes, I wish I were under 20. I'll be turning 29 this month. I am starting to feel old. I'll feel even older next year when I turn the big three-zero. :twitch:
[/quote]

You are so old.. :P

Wait...why am I here?

I am over 20

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1341450770' post='2452429']
You are so old.. :P

Wait...why am I here?

I am over 20
[/quote]

:shock:

:sad2:

:P

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Kylie Spinelli

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341366943' post='2452198']
Whoo! It's one of the greatest things you ever look into. Even if you "discern out" as they call it, you still have the amazing experience of having lived in and visited communities, and there are a lot of things you learn in the convent/friary/monastery that you use for the rest of your life. Plus, you are able to say you are good friends with religious, which is a major bonus.
[/quote]

Haha :) I love it... actually, it's more of a love/hate relationship with my discernment LOL
Haven't been able to visit any convents yet, but I have been in contact with other discerning young women and sisters across the US... Unfortunately, there are barely any communities near where I live, which makes it hard on me... But once I get out to college, and get some freedom, I'll be able to go on retreats, etc... :D
Yeah, about a quarter of my FB friends are religious, or discerning LOL
Thanks for the support!

Edited by Kylie Spinelli

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Kylie Spinelli' timestamp='1341525109' post='2452632']
Haha :) I love it... actually, it's more of a love/hate relationship with my discernment LOL
Haven't been able to visit any convents yet, but I have been in contact with other discerning young women and sisters across the US... Unfortunately, there are barely any communities near where I live, which makes it hard on me... But once I get out to college, and get some freedom, I'll be able to go on retreats, etc... :D
Yeah, at least a third of my FB friends are religious, or discerning LOL
Thanks for the support!
[/quote]

Ha. Love/hate is a strong and inconsistent feeling to have about your vocational discernment. My advice is to just be patient with yourself. I have never visited a Friary or Monastery yet, but this is not a particularly bad thing. This is the time where we discern ourselves first and learn who we are, while keeping contact with communities, of course. Discerning is basically this: Learning about yourself in order to know what God wants to do with you. Sometimes we do not know as much about ourselves as we would like to by the time we enter, but we should never expect to learn all there is about ourselves in just a few years. Your brothers/sisters in your community will help you learn about yourself, and you will help them in the same way. It is a mutual effort to help each other learn about themselves and each other in order to grow closer to God.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Kylie Spinelli' timestamp='1341525109' post='2452632']
Yeah, about a quarter of my FB friends are religious, or discerning LOL
Thanks for the support!
[/quote]

Now is a really good time to build up relationships with communities even if you can't visit. It's never too early to get a head-start on things. And, don't worry about the love/hate thing. We all go through that from time to time. Discernment can seem really tricky at times and, other times, you feel so head over heels that you don't care how difficult it is. :)

I am really big on researching communities, so if you need help finding one that appeals to you, please let me know. I love helping others discern.

BTW, I just realized from your profile that you were born on the exact same day and year as my cousin, Daniel. Too cool! :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1341368216' post='2452207']
Whoa bunch of youngsters here......

FP, stop flirting with 171 and other girls on here. They don't like it when you starting winking at them and sticking out your tongue..it's gross...you are not a three years old....wait I will take that back....you are a three years old!!!
[/quote]

... This deserves no proper response.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1341373520' post='2452231']
We are going to have to talk about this. :| Not all of us homeschoolers are like FP here.
[/quote]

Of course not all home schoolers are like me. I am one of a kind! Besides, you are one of the nicest people on here. Don't turn into one of "them". :|

Edited by FuturePriest387