Lil Red Posted July 3, 2012 Author Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341275827' post='2451700']Greasy hair is preferable?[/quote] baking soda and apple cider vinegar
PhuturePriest Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341275859' post='2451701'] baking soda and apple cider vinegar [/quote] My sister does that. I always make fun of her, but she says shampoo takes away the natural oils from hair. I might consider doing the baking soda and apple cider vinegar route, but I take showers and I'm not sure how well it would go with that. Plus, vinegar smells terrible.
Lil Red Posted July 3, 2012 Author Posted July 3, 2012 it actually doesn't make your hair smell like vinegar, though.
PhuturePriest Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341276410' post='2451706'] it actually doesn't make your hair smell like vinegar, though. [/quote] I know. My sister's hair smells really nice, despite its dangerous exposure to the vile mixture that is allegedly drinkable.
AnneLine Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 Just use a razor. No more hair, no more problem. Also gets rid of any lingering tendency towards vanity....
Archaeology cat Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 (edited) [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341275827' post='2451700'] Greasy hair is preferable? But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear? Nope. You have to be a Bishop, Cardinal or Pope to get that cool stuff. Though the Priests on Going My Way figured out how to cheat the system. [/quote]Birettas are cool [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341276178' post='2451704'] My sister does that. I always make fun of her, but she says shampoo takes away the natural oils from hair. I might consider doing the baking soda and apple cider vinegar route, but I take showers and I'm not sure how well it would go with that. Plus, vinegar smells terrible. [/quote]it's true about shampoo stripping the natural oils. If you have curly hair, shampoo really isn't great for it. Edited July 3, 2012 by Archaeology cat
PhuturePriest Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1341327824' post='2451926'] Birettas are cool it's true about shampoo stripping the natural oils. If you have curly hair, shampoo really isn't great for it. [/quote] I have some natural curls at the end, but if I do not wash my hair it is not curly. I suppose the oil weighs it down or something.
Archaeology cat Posted July 5, 2012 Posted July 5, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341334104' post='2452004'] I have some natural curls at the end, but if I do not wash my hair it is not curly. I suppose the oil weighs it down or something. [/quote]Because shampoo strips the natural oils, your body actually produces more. When you first stop using shampoo, your body is still producing more oil because it's used to needing to do so, but after a little while, it evens out and starts working really well.
franciscanheart Posted July 5, 2012 Posted July 5, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341269606' post='2451666'] shampoo isn't necessary, you know. [/quote] [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341275859' post='2451701'] baking soda and apple cider vinegar [/quote] [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341276410' post='2451706'] it actually doesn't make your hair smell like vinegar, though. [/quote] Have I welcomed you to the dark side? No? WELCOME.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 7, 2012 Posted July 7, 2012 I'm gonna have to try the baking soda and vinegar thing... Do any of you still use conditioner, or an alternative for it?
Lil Red Posted July 7, 2012 Author Posted July 7, 2012 i do not use conditioner at all. once a week, i use a baking soda "paste" (1 TB baking soda + just enough water to make a paste), put that on my "crown" area, working it around (think of what hairdressers do when they wash your hair), including temples. [u]rinse well[/u]. then use 2 TB apple cider vinegar + 8 oz of water just on the ends of my hair, let set for a couple of minutes, then rinse out. as i have curly hair, i don't towel dry, but use the "old t-shirt trick" (squeezing out the wetness of my hair by using an old cotton tshirt). i do the apple cider every day.
Archaeology cat Posted July 7, 2012 Posted July 7, 2012 Pretty much what Red said. If I need to wash more often, like if I've been swimming, then I do so. I don't think I dilute the vinegar quite as much (I don't measure anything), as it works for me. It's a little bit of trial and error to get the right mix at first.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 8, 2012 Posted July 8, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341630952' post='2453014'] i do not use conditioner at all. once a week, i use a baking soda "paste" (1 TB baking soda + just enough water to make a paste), put that on my "crown" area, working it around (think of what hairdressers do when they wash your hair), including temples. [u]rinse well[/u]. then use 2 TB apple cider vinegar + 8 oz of water just on the ends of my hair, let set for a couple of minutes, then rinse out. as i have curly hair, i don't towel dry, but use the "old t-shirt trick" (squeezing out the wetness of my hair by using an old cotton tshirt). i do the apple cider every day. [/quote] SWEET! I can't wait to try! I have very curly hair as well, but I've never heard of the old t-shirt trick - definitely gonna have to try it cause I can see it preventing a lot of the frizz I get from towel drying.
Lil Red Posted July 8, 2012 Author Posted July 8, 2012 [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' timestamp='1341705955' post='2453240'] SWEET! I can't wait to try! I have very curly hair as well, but I've never heard of the old t-shirt trick - definitely gonna have to try it cause I can see it preventing a lot of the frizz I get from towel drying. [/quote] just be aware, there is a curve to adjusting. mine wasn't as big because i haven't been shampooing my hair for awhile before i started the baking soda/vinegar, but your hair is used to being over-washed, so it will keep producing extra oil for awhile while it re-adjusts.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 8, 2012 Posted July 8, 2012 Okay, I'll not leave the house for a week, maybe it will adjust in that time. I actually only shampoo my hair every few days, as odd as that might sound, so maybe it won't take so long?
TheresaThoma Posted July 8, 2012 Posted July 8, 2012 [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' timestamp='1341721238' post='2453353'] Okay, I'll not leave the house for a week, maybe it will adjust in that time. I actually only shampoo my hair every few days, as odd as that might sound, so maybe it won't take so long? [/quote] Doesn't sound that odd. I don't shampoo my hair everyday. Lately it has been every other day. Letting my natural oils stay in my hair for a day (or two) has really helped.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 8, 2012 Posted July 8, 2012 Yeah I found the same thing to be true for my hair. The only problem with that is I am then limited in my options for hair styles, so it usually ends up in a bun of some sort, which is kind of boring.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 8, 2012 Posted July 8, 2012 Maybe this will also be solved with the new "shampoo!" That would be incredible. I like to wear my hair down.especially if I were going to be wearing a mantilla.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now