An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Talk

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

emmaberry and I thought it would be razzle dazzle to make a thread for Franciscans, so I took the initiative. This is for general Franciscan talk -- especially discernment with Franciscan communities. But simply doing a post on the interesting aspects of the Franciscan Order is fine, too.

Well to start I did not know that the Franciscans began before our Lady gave St Simon Stock the brown scapular...very interesting! Also, I am applying to the Poor Clare Colletines...I think that's Franciscan talk. The dynamics PCs have with the Franciscan brothers equivalent to them is very charming. The PCCs have the Franciscans Minor as their 'counterpart' in the diocese of Las Cruces, and they paint a really beautiful image of how Francis and Clare must have interacted in the beginning.

Thanks for the thread! :)

carmenchristi

emmaberry... can I ask where are the Poor Clare Colletines that you are applying to? I know a sister who entered with them somewhere on the east coast (transfer sister), but I guess I don't know what her new name would be, so IDK if I'd be able to tell if you met her or not! hehe

Maximilianus

Shameless blog plug (it's Franciscan related)

[url="http://corpusimmobiliserrantemanimum.blogspot.com/p/munequitos-monasticos.html"]http://corpusimmobil...monasticos.html[/url]

Scroll down you'll see the Franciscan peeps. There are also Franciscan subjects in the other sections, Saints, Clip Art and Misc. stuff.

Edited by Maximilianus

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1342387653' post='2455896']
emmaberry... can I ask where are the Poor Clare Colletines that you are applying to? I know a sister who entered with them somewhere on the east coast (transfer sister), but I guess I don't know what her new name would be, so IDK if I'd be able to tell if you met her or not! hehe
[/quote]

Carmen Christi: The Roswell PCCs! Although there are so many lovely Poor Clare communities near the east coast, I don't know any sisters personally from those monasteries. I kind of wish I was called to a different one though (is that even legal to say??) because the Roswell PCCs don't allow live-ins! Quite scary. I know a lot of PCCs follow this same practice, but some do allow live-ins, and it would be so nice to live in the monastery for a while just to boost confidence in your decision. That's great that you know a PCC though!

One of the Roswell sisters is a transfer as well, maybe they both transferred out of the same original monastery?

Edited by emmaberry

LaPetiteSoeur

I love Franciscans! I'm discerning between two right now! The charism of Saint Francis is so wonderful. For a long time I thought I was called to the NDs, but Saint Francis stole me from St. Dominic! :nun:

• 2 months later...

I love Franciscans. =) i would love to be one. When I start to actively discern, the TOR Franciscans is the first community I will be contacting.

I look forward to being a Franciscan :nun:

It always feels so weird to go back to wearing shoes when I leave the monastery.

Edited by Pax_et bonum

Has everyone here seen the movie by the Franciscans of the Immaculate on Blessed Duns Scotus? [url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/BDS-M/blessed-duns-scotus.aspx"]http://www.ignatius....uns-scotus.aspx[/url]

If not, you need to see it!!!! It's extremely good! especially for Franciscans .. you'll love the rivalry with the Dominicans! :hehe:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1348630785' post='2486805']
I look forward to being a Franciscan :nun:

It always feels so weird to go back to wearing shoes when I leave the monastery.
[/quote]You mean that you never wear shoes in the monastery? That is so avvesome. :)

I hate shoes...

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1348708859' post='2487130']
You mean that you never wear shoes in the monastery? That is so avvesome. :)

I hate shoes...
[/quote]
I know! They have sandals and socks and snow boots for going outside when it's cold, but they go barefoot most the time inside the monastery unless a sister has some problem where she needs to wear shoes. They can also wear socks when the floors are cold inside. Women visiting can choose whether or not to wear shoes, I guess, but I don't wear them.

I don't like things on my hands or on my feet, so it's wonderful to go there and walk around barefoot all the time!

Holy golden calf! I didn't even know people posted on this! Last I checked I posted it and nobody posted at all, so I assumed it was one of my failed threads. Guess I was wrong!