An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Talk

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1351708384' post='2501269']
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VSAD49g9lyg/UJFsTK5W_GI/AAAAAAAAABU/bp4lPrS6vMM/s640/PA312254.JPG[/img]
[/quote]

Very nice!!! :) :) :)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1352211088' post='2505117']
Is everybody enjoying advent? :)
[/quote]

Did advent already start?

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions:

-What is the best Saint Francis/Saint Clare movie you have seen? I believe all the main ones show both of them. I have seen Brother Sun, Sister Moon and watched clips of the movie starring Dolores Hart as St Clare. I would like to give my parents a good St Francis movie for Christmas for us to watch before I enter.

-How was St Francis a Confessor if he was not a Priest? Did he just hear people's sins and counsel them then send them to a Priest for Absolution?

I had no another question as well but forgot...

I'm back from the Franciscan Brothers Minor and Poor Sisters of Saint Clare investitures. The sisters' new names are: Sr. Francesca Rose, Sr. Agnes Loretta, and Sr. Marie (Mary/Maria?) Amata! I don't remember their titles. It took place in their choir behind the wall in the church, so we couldn't see anything but we could hear what was happening. We didn't get to see the new sisters. I did get a chance to see Sr. Marie Veronica and Sr. Stella Francis in the parlor for a short time before I left which was great.

I don't remember the brothers' new names. One is named after St. Joseph (Br. Joseph Mary, I think) and the other three are named after obscure Franciscan saints. One brother's title had to do with Star of the Sea. Two brothers also professed 1st vows.

I have a few questions:

-What is the best Saint Francis/Saint Clare movie you have seen? I believe all the main ones show both of them. I have seen Brother Sun, Sister Moon and watched clips of the movie starring Dolores Hart as St Clare. I would like to give my parents a good St Francis movie for Christmas for us to watch before I enter.

Clare and Francis

[quote name="LaPetiteSoeur" post="2456095" timestamp="1342458766"]
I love Franciscans! I'm discerning between two right now! The charism of Saint Francis is so wonderful. For a long time I thought I was called to the NDs, but Saint Francis stole me from St. Dominic! http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/nun.gif[/quote]
Did you know that there is a new order that is a mixture of dominican and franciscan? Im not sure what their name is but im sure it wouldnt be too hard to look up! :)

I have a few questions:

-How was St Francis a Confessor if he was not a Priest? Did he just hear people's sins and counsel them then send them to a Priest for Absolution?

I had no another question as well but forgot...

The best movie ever about St Francis and St Clare is "Clare and Francis" Im not even kidding! Its absolutly AMAZING!!!!!!!! I can't give it enough credit!!!!!!

[quote name="LaPetiteSoeur" post="2456095" timestamp="1342458766"]
I love Franciscans! I'm discerning between two right now! The charism of Saint Francis is so wonderful. For a long time I thought I was called to the NDs, but Saint Francis stole me from St. Dominic! http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/nun.gif[/quote]
I was choosing between St Francis and St Dominic too! Not too long ago I thought that if my vocation was to the religious life then I would most likely enter the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. But then as I was watching the Movie Clare and Francis they kinda stole my heart! Now Im looking into The Franciscan Sisters TOR of the Penance of the Sorrowful Mother because they are Franciscan (duh! lol) and that they have a strong devotion to the Divine Mercy and St Faustina (who btw is my patron saint)among other devotions that I love.

Hmmm I guess I need more practice quoting and posting! ^^ LOL

Also does anyoneone know of a good book on St Francis/St Clare and/or Franciscan Spiritualaity?

Also does anyoneone know of a good book on St Francis/St Clare and/or Franciscan Spiritualaity?

You can read some of their writings online: St. Francis's Testament; Rule, Letters, Testament of St. Clare. Franciscan Reflections

As for books, "The Little Flowers of St. Francis" (there's also a movie) and "The Little Flowers of St. Clare." "Clare and Her Sisters" "The Life of St. Francis" by St. Bonaventure is probably really good though I haven't read it. And this looks like it would be a good resource too: Francis and Clare: The Complete Works.

PhuturePriest

You can read some of their writings online: St. Francis's Testament; Rule, Letters, Testament of St. Clare. Franciscan Reflections

As for books, "The Little Flowers of St. Francis" (there's also a movie) and "The Little Flowers of St. Clare." "Clare and Her Sisters" "The Life of St. Francis" by St. Bonaventure is probably really good though I haven't read it. And this looks like it would be a good resource too: Francis and Clare: The Complete Works.

The Life of Saint Francis is good. If you do not like old English then you will not like it, though. I like old English and even I thought it was kind of hard to read.

Wow, Pax, thank you for sharing about the investiture and profession ceremonies! It is amazing how much these communities are blossoming vocations-wise. Discerners can sniff out devoted and faithful followers of St Francis and St Clare quite well, it seems!

Also, thanks to everyone for recommending Francis/Clare movies (or should I say the movie Clare and Francis? :P)

Still nothing on how our beloved Saint was a Confessor but not a Priest hmm? There doesn't seem to be anything on the net explaining how he gained the title of Confessor..I look it up and it says a requirement of being a Confessor is being ordained. :idontknow: Larger matters await, I suppose!

Edited by emmaberry101

Wow, Pax, thank you for sharing about the investiture and profession ceremonies! It is amazing how much these communities are blossoming vocations-wise. Discerners can sniff out devoted and faithful followers of St Francis and St Clare quite well, it seems!

Also, thanks to everyone for recommending Francis/Clare movies (or should I say the movie Clare and Francis? :P)

Still nothing on how our beloved Saint was a Confessor but not a Priest hmm? There doesn't seem to be anything on the net explaining how he gained the title of Confessor..I look it up and it says a requirement of being a Confessor is being ordained. :idontknow: Larger matters await, I suppose!

Ok, this is what I got from Wikpedia.  Take it with a grain of salt, considering the source.  The title of Confessor can be given to a saint that suffered persecution.  Wikipedia states that as persecution became less, the title was given to saints who lived an especially holy life. 

Here's the link.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessor_(title)

petitpèlerin

I'm a Franciscan. I mean, not formally, but at heart. My spiritual father is a Franciscan friar and if I would ever enter a Dominican order he would disown me! (Just kidding. Sort of. ;) )

My favorite book I've read so far on St Francis is GK Chesterton's biography "St Francis of Assisi". Leave it to a brainy English intellectual to get Francis' personality and spirituality better than most ever have. Another one that's been recommended to me but I haven't read yet is "La Harpe de Saint Francois" (as it was recommended to me by a Frenchman); the English translation is titled "The Perfect Joy of Saint Francis". The author is Felix Timmermans, and from what I understand it's not exactly a biography but in some way a fictional sketch.

Sister Rose Therese

The term "confessor" is used a two different senses here.  We are used to saying that a priest is a confessor if he hears confessions.  When the Church categorizes a saint as a confessor they are using the word to imply the saint was one who confessed the faith.  I think it is because the word is latin based and was taken into to english language years ago.  The way we use that word in english has changed over the years, but the way the Church uses it has not.

There are similar issues with the words assumption and apologize.