An Old School Catholic Message Board

Open/closed Brethern

Crusader_4

Crusader_4

I have a friend who is a member of the denomination of Open Brethern and another who is Closed brethern i was wondering if anyone here had any insight to this denomination and its theological views in regards to the Catholic Church. Thanx in advance.

wow, that's funny you asked, i just recently joined a bretheren assembly. i'm very new to it, so i'll tell you what basics i know.

the congregations are known as bretheren assemblies, and as a whole i believe they are called Plymouth Bretheren. they believe in simple meetings as the earliest church had them.... Acts chapter 2 is often a reference, where the believers met in each other's homes and broke bread together.

each assembly is independent of the others, and often meet in each others homes or in some other building, but rarely in a typic church. for example, my assembly is too large to meet in a house, over 30 members, so me meet in an old dance studio. there is a small table in the middle, where the Lord's supper is presented. there are chairs on all four sides of the table, as communion is the central aspect of the worship service.

as for the worship service itself....all we have are our bibles and hymbooks. somebody will suggest a hymn to sing, explain why, and we will sing it. this happens a few times. then somebody will look at a piece of Scripture and briefly discuss it, usually centralizing on Christ and what He has done for us and what He will do for us. after saying his piece, the person will usually pray for a short time out loud. after a certain amount of time, somebody will stand up and give thanks for the bread and wine, and distribute the Lord's supper. we usually sing a hymn and pray to close.

after the worship part, we have a short break with coffee and bagels and stuff, for fellowship. we then sit down together and shortly discuss prayer requests and praise items, and somebody will pray for all the request and give thanks for everything that is mentioned.

after this, there is a typical sermon/exhortation. a brother basically will preach for a given amount of time, and that will conclude church for the day.

that's probably a poor summary of a church service, just to let you know, because before a few months ago i never even heard of these assemblies.

as for the open/closed bretheren, here's what i know.....

i attend an open assembly. this means that anybody is welcome to come in and worship and participate in communion. this includes nonbelievers as well, although they obviously should be instructed not to take communion by whoever invites them. since these assemblies aren't really 'advertised' like a typical church, the only way you really discover them is to be invited to one.

a closed assembly is one in which only known members of the assembly are allowed to be there. i'm not sure, but i believe this is to prevent any possible defilement of the Lord's supper, and to keep the focus properly directed to the Lord. any newcomer usually has to be referred ahead of time by a member of the assembly, to make sure they are a legit believer before they participate.

i'm still new to all of this, and i'm still learning, i'll continue to give you info if you want it.

phatcatholic

crusader 4,

the brethren as a whole believe in a certain set of doctrines (this from a [url="http://www.histable.com/doctrine.html"][b]brethren website[/b][/url]):

[b]BIBLE[/b] is inerrant and infallible. It is verbally inspired and fully the Word of God. The Bible is the only authority for faith and practice. We have no creed but the Bible. 2 Timothy 3.16

[b]GOD[/b] exists as THREE distinct co-equal, co-essential, eternal persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Deuteronomy 6.4, John 10.30, Matthew 12.31. 1 John 5.7.

[b]LORD JESUS CHRIST[/b] is both fully God (Colossians 2.9, John 1.3) and perfect, sinless Man (John 1.14, 1 Peter 2.22). He is the virgin born, incarnate, Eternal Son of God. who suffered, shed his precious blood and died for the elect and for the sins of the whole world 1 John 2.2. He is now risen, ascended and exalted at the right hand of God the Father. He is Advocate, High Priest, Intercessor and Head of the Church which is His Body.

[b]HOLY SPIRIT[/b] is God (a divine Person) and indwells each believer and the Church body 1 Corinthians 6.19 and Ephesians 2.22

[b]SALVATION[/b] is by God's sovereign grace whereby He saves sinners (the elect) on the basis of the finished work of Christ received by faith alone. Ephesians 2.8,9 Believers are saved permanently and sealed and placed in the body of Christ, which is the Church John 10.27, Ephesians 1.13, 1 Corinthians 12.13.

[b]CHURCH (ASSEMBLY)[/b] is composed of ALL true Christians, born of the Spirit of God and placed by the Spirit into the One Body of Christ. Local assemblies are expressions of the One Body of Christ and bear testimony to the UNITY of the Body and are to keep the UNITY of the Spirit in the body of peace 1 Cor 12.13, 1 Cor 1.2, Eph 4.3 This practical unity is displayed in the LORD'S TABLE, hence the One Cup and the One Loaf 1 Cor 10.16 etc. The scriptures teach the priesthood of ALL believers. Hence we reject clergy laity distinctions in the body of Christ. God has raised up men with the gifts of teaching, shepherding (pastors)and guiding (elders)local assemblies of the Church 1 Tim 3, Ephesians 4, etc.

[b]LORD'S SUPPER[/b] is also an important reminder of the death of the Lord till his return 1 Cor 11.20 etc. True Christians, walking in doctrinal and moral purity, free from ecclesiastical compromises are welcome to this fellowship. The communion of believers at the Lord's Table is not "closed" (our sect) nor is it "open" (worldly access), but guarded, watchful. After all, Scripture warns us "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but test the spirits whether they be of God" 1John 4.1

[b]BAPTISM[/b] of believers is by immersion Acts 8.37. It does not save from sin. It testifies to the believer's death, burial and resurrection with Christ. Romans 6.

[b]RECEPTION[/b] is therefore mutual. Letters of commendation (See Romans 16.1 etc.) is a Scriptural practice that we follow when visitors come from another assembly on divine ground (i.e. seeking to carry out Scriptural order). When a letter is not presented, as in the case of a totally new visitor, he or she should investigate the doctrine and practices of the assembly 1 Corinthians 14.23-25 and 1 John 4.1

[b]SEPARATION[/b] is to be from the World system, its philosophies and its false teachers. The believer should separate from false, unbiblical Christianity, false religion and New Evangelicalism since he is separated unto God. The motivation ? "…holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, for ever." Ps 93.5 and "let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2 Timothy 2.19. We reject the Charismatic movement with its emphasis on tongues and healings, which are not for the church today and all forms of modern Ecumenicalism.

[b]SECOND COMING[/b] of Christ: is both Premillenial, and Pretribulational. This means that his coming is imminent, whereby he will rapture or resurrect all Church saints and living believers. 7 years later He will return with His Church and establish His reign over a restored nation of Israel for 1,000 years as her King and Messiah. 1 Thess 4.13-18 Revelation 19.11 & 20.1-6

[b]FUTURE:[/b] for the saved is secure. It will be glorious and blessed in the presence of God and Christ forever John 14.1-5. The lost will spend an eternity in conscious torment in the lake of fire along with Satan, the devil and his angels. See, Matthew 25.46, Revelation 20.10-15.

also this, from a [url="http://www.brethrenonline.org/faqs/Brethren.htm"][b]Brethren FAQ[/b][/url] (see question #5):

[b]--[/b]verbal, plenary inspiration of the original manuscripts of the Bible
[b]--[/b]pretribulational, premillenial and dispensational
[b]--[/b]non-charismatic, but recognizing the "non sign" gifts
[b]--[/b]no salaried ministry. Gifted brothers minister as they are able. Gifted sisters will often minister among each other at ladies Bible studies, conferences, etc. However, we do not believe in an "every man" ministry (that is to say, we believe that every believer has a ministry but not every believer is called to be a preacher), but only ministry by those who are gifted
[b]--[/b]church government by a plurality of elders who meet the qualifications of 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1
[b]--[/b]some have deacons to attend to physical ministry (e.g. taking care of the chapel). Deacons are not in a decision making position.
[b]--[/b]often, the meetings are unstructured. This is especially true of the breaking of bread (communion service), but can also apply to Reading Meetings and Open Meetings
[b]--[/b]clear evangelistic witness
[b]--[/b]most open assemblies hold a middle of the road position with respect to election and free-will. Some can be found at either extreme. Most exclusive meetings hold to election.
[b]--[/b]trinitarian
[b]--[/b]most hold to the doctrine of Eternal Security
[b]--[/b]believers baptism by immersion. A significant number of brethren in the "non-open" assemblies believe in and practise Christian household baptism.
[b]--[/b]eternal sonship of Jesus Christ

as for the difference between "open" and "closed" i found [url="http://www.cob-net.org/docs/groups.htm#PlymouthBrethren"][b]the following[/b][/url]:

[b]OPEN Plymouth Brethren (moderate)[/b]

Open Brethren churches are "completely" independent without
any form of higher governing body. Each church observes the
ecclesiastical offices of Elder and Deacon, but not salaried
ministry. "Gifted Brothers" officiate worship and communion
services, and "Gifted Sisters" lead private Bible studies.

[b]EXCLUSIVE Plymouth Brethren (conservative)[/b]

Exclusive or Closed Brethren shun the idea of independence
and maintain circles of fellowship without a higher governing
body. They do not have Elders, but instead utilize the talents
of "leading brothers."

i hope this helps.......pax christi,
phatcatholic

Edited by phatcatholic

oh and as far as the assemblies' view of the Catholic Church...

i can only speak for my assembly....but the consensus seems to be that all believers are regarded as brothers and sisters in Christ, despite whatever differences we may have.

i have really never encountered such a loving environment, it's really like a big family with open arms. if someone came in an said "I'm Catholic," i'm sure you would be welcomed very warmly and nobody would even think twice about considering you a brother or sister.

i had a conversation with an elder yesterday, and he deeply respects the Catholic church. he obviously had different theological views (i guess you would call bretheren assemblies 'protestant' by nature), but he had no ill will whatsoever.

i'm really excited to be attending this assembly...i know i will establish wonderful relationships with people who already care about me greatly, and most importantly i will grow more in Christ. it's such a pure, Christ-like environment....sorry i'm gushing all over the place, but i'm really happy the about where the Lord has recently led me.

phatcatholic

i'm torn between wanting you to be happy and wanting you to be catholic..........must these two be at odds w/ each other? (rhetorical question)

i guess i just wish u were happy to be catholic like i am.....

Edited by phatcatholic

Crusader_4

Thanks guys that helps lots PhatCatholic in your experience have you come into these guys and what are your opinnons on them? Also thanks Mulls they do have a very friendly atmosphere i have witnessed it first hand as well :) .

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='May 17 2004, 11:43 PM'] i'm torn between wanting you to be happy and wanting you to be catholic..........must these two be at odds w/ each other? (rhetorical question)

i guess i just wish u were happy to be catholic like i am..... [/quote]
i truly respect your concern, thank you.

and you're welcome Crusader ;)

Crusader_4

Netime Mulls. How about you if you dont mind me asking why Open Brethern over Catholicms?

phatcatholic

i have not actually met members of the "Brethren" nor have i gone to a service of theirs. but, just from doing some research about them, the group seems rather "non-denominational" or "unitarian" in nature. i think its intriguing how they negotiate the balance between structure and non-structure. in once sense they want independence and freedom of belief, but in the same sense they know that no movement will survive w/o some structure in place. personally, i'm glad that i don't have to struggle w/ that internal conflict. i am also troubled by the fact that there are many, many Brethren offshoots and denominations, and that it was started by four guys in the late 19th-early 20th century.

but, i'm definitely no expert, considering that i've only spent an hour or two on the topic. i also acknowledge that my opinion is not thoroughly formulated at this point.

i hope that helps........pax christi,
phatcatholic

Crusader_4

No Phatcatholic your exactly right from what i have noticed as well. That there are some in the denomination from what i hear that are very non-denominational and some that want the structure so they take the middle path it appears to keep both sides happy i could b wrong here it is just an observation i have made as well. Not to sound mean or anything but to me this sort of Protestantism is growing in numbers among protestant circles because it has a rather strong morality base but liberal structure. I also find that they are scared of any sort of organization because it could bcome almost too similar to main stream religion. just some observations i have picked up. Also another thing that i have noticed and its not just about Open Brethern but all of these non-denominational/bareley denominational church's is there is a real lake of pre 1800 theology. It is as iff it is literally stuck in a time warp. Almost in a sense of how the Orthodox Church is stuck in the 300's in regards to theology. They dont look to Augustine or Aquinas really but rather reformers and past disregarding 1500 years of Christian Experience and are wary to new theological discussions as well. AGain just an observation what are your guys thoughts on this?

it's funny you guys mention that, i asked the elder i spoke to yesterday about the history of the brethern and such...

basically he said when the reformation took place, what were people trying to reform back to?

their take on it is to take it back to the earliest, purest church setting...where Christ is the focus, and nothing else. Acts 2 shows believers meeting in each others homes and breaking bread together.

i don't think the assemblies are really trying to avoid anything, but rather are trying to keep things simple, and provide the benefits of the church to believers....to build up and edify the Body of Christ. no squabbles, no arguments, no bake sales, no bingo, no softball, no announcements in the middle of the service, no 40 piece choir, no solo sining performances. i'm not saying anything is wrong with these things, they can all serve to edify. but from what i've seen, the brethren are FOCUSED.

Edited by mulls

There was a huge exclusive Brethren group in the village where I grew up as a child. They were very strict in how they observed 'not being part of the world'. They didn't allow TV - all the Brethren children in the school had to be taken out of class if the lesson had a TV programme as part of it, didn't take part in any Christmas or Easter activities, or religious assemblies (which schools in the UK are obliged to have) were not allowed to eat with other children, didn't have radio or newpapers. The women wore head covering all the time they were in contact with people other than just their husband and they were not allowed to wear make up. I don't know of any women who worked outside the home. They were not allowed to marry outside the Brethren.

I came to know some Christians who had left the group through a protestant bible study and prayer group I joined. Because they had left the group they were no longer allowed to have contact with their families - one man found out that his father had died through a worker on a nearby farm who heard and passed the information on - the funeral had already taken place. Another young girl saw her parents walking down the road, when they saw her they crossed over the road so they wouldn't have to speak to her. It was very, very painful for the these people that the concept of seperation was so strong within the group that they were seen as now being part of the world because they had moved away from the group.

Of course these were very strict in their beliefs. They were also mighty in their weekly standing on the street corner and witnessing to their faith, and no one knew their protestant bible better in the group that I attended than those who had come from this background. They were also always incredibly polite and respectful towards those of us who were not from the Brethren background when they had any dealing with us, although we were not allowed to go to their houses or their children come to ours.

Edited by Ellenita