PhuturePriest Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1343533875' post='2459872'] How have you never seen the Olympics? [/quote] The Olympics are not a very big thing for my family. [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1343540696' post='2459898'] He's like 12. [/quote] More like almost sixteen, but whatever floats your boat.
PhuturePriest Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 [quote name='jaime' timestamp='1343578076' post='2459944'] and Teletubbies. Got it!! [/quote] What are those?
Noel's angel Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 I think it's a case of humour not translating well. It was very much a show for the British, and some of what people from this part of the world would get, isn't transferrable throughout the world. It started well, but did end up getting a bit dull by the time they had David Beckham sailing up the Thames. Personally, I thought the children's' literature piece was excellent, and the way they used the story of industrialisation to create the rings. Danny Boyle also said that the idea was to get everyone involved - so it was never going to be as precise as China.
Jaime Posted July 29, 2012 Author Posted July 29, 2012 [quote name='Noel's angel' timestamp='1343584571' post='2459968'] I think it's a case of humour not translating well. It was very much a show for the British, and some of what people from this part of the world would get, isn't transferrable throughout the world. It started well, but did end up getting a bit dull by the time they had David Beckham sailing up the Thames. Personally, I thought the children's' literature piece was excellent, and the way they used the story of industrialisation to create the rings. Danny Boyle also said that the idea was to get everyone involved - so it was never going to be as precise as China. [/quote] I think that maybe the problem boyles down to this (see what i i did there?) I think China had the intention of impressing the world and London had the intention of impressing Brits.
Spem in alium Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 [quote name='jaime' timestamp='1343598014' post='2460031'] I think that maybe the problem boyles down to this (see what i i did there?) I think China had the intention of impressing the world and London had the intention of impressing Brits. [/quote] Agreed. I watched most of it with my family and much of the time we were confused. Especially by that digital love story - what was the significance of that? I loved the Industrial Revolution and literature parts, the skydiving Queen & the Czech team's costume. All quite impressive
ardillacid Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 (edited) China had digitally added fireworks and lip synced singing. The British opening must've really sucked if it was worse. Edited July 29, 2012 by ardillacid
TheresaThoma Posted July 29, 2012 Posted July 29, 2012 The other thing I really liked was the pause in the middle of the industrial sequence to remember all the veterans. That I think was something everyone could connect to.
cmotherofpirl Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 I was totally annoyed that NBC edited whole sections out of the opening ceremony to put in commercials and interviews. The only people who saw the entire opening ceremony were those who had access to the BBC or some other foreign stations.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1343598358' post='2460034'] Needed moar Python and the Doctor. [/quote] No kidding. The whole torch ceremony was ruined.
PhuturePriest Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 (edited) How could the opening possibly smell of elderberries? The Doctor held the Olympic torch! Of course, that itself annoyed me because it wasn't David Tennant (Who is obviously the best Doctor ever), but it was still razzle dazzle. Edited July 30, 2012 by FuturePriest387
Papist Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 Mr. Bean was the only part I watch. All the gals on my vacation were glued to the TV watching. I was too busy drinking beer on the back deck. Once Rowan Atkinson appeared, my wife called me in. The Chariots of Fire daydream scene was HILARIOUS!!!! [url="http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/2012/opening-ceremony-mr-bean-rowan-atkinson-plays-chariots-of-fire.html"]http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/2012/opening-ceremony-mr-bean-rowan-atkinson-plays-chariots-of-fire.html[/url]
cmotherofpirl Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1343678406' post='2460342'] No disrespect, but what was the point of Ali? [/quote] If you had seen the BBC version all the people holding a flag were introduced as representing a particular virtue because of their various activities. Ali represented sports and probably perseverance, I didn't quite hear that part. He was a gold medalist at the Olympics, and the Brits featured hundreds of past winners in the opening.
Papist Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 Did it have the Spice Girls? And what was with the U.S. wearing them fruity berets?
Papist Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1343678868' post='2460350'] If you had seen the BBC version all the people holding a flag were introduced as representing a particular virtue because of their various activities. Ali represented sports and probably perseverance, I didn't quite hear that part. He was a gold medalist at the Olympics, and the Brits featured hundreds of past winners in the opening. [/quote] They should of had George Foreman. He has a Olympic record that can't be surpassed. He won the Boxing Gold by KOing every opponent, and was a humble winner. [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WsE6M_RjBIY/SbNcQtZ3gSI/AAAAAAAAUJY/NLJ-DNn7bac/s400/ForemanGold.jpg[/img]
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1343678314' post='2460339'] How could the opening possibly smell of elderberries? The Doctor held the Olympic torch! Of course, that itself annoyed me because it wasn't David Tennant (Who is obviously the best Doctor ever), but it was still razzle dazzle. [/quote] It wasn't authentic.
franciscanheart Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 I loved it. I thought it was beautiful. I'd agree that digital love story could have been done better, but I'm certainly not one to say it was all a waste of time. Room for improvement, but not horrendous. [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1343687797' post='2460415'] It wasn't authentic. [/quote] Huh? [quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1343678868' post='2460350'] If you had seen the BBC version all the people holding a flag were introduced as representing a particular virtue because of their various activities. Ali represented sports and probably perseverance, I didn't quite hear that part. He was a gold medalist at the Olympics, and the Brits featured hundreds of past winners in the opening. [/quote] The US version aired that portion as well. I think people may have missed it.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1343687908' post='2460417'] Huh? [/quote] There is an episode of Doctor Who in which The Doctor goes to the future and carries the torch for the 2012 Olympics. That was the 10th Doctor. They enlisted the 11th Doctor to carry the torch for reals at the Olympics. Ergo, they failed. Because we all know that with time travel it should have been the 10th Doctor.
cmotherofpirl Posted July 30, 2012 Posted July 30, 2012 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1343687908' post='2460417'] The US version aired that portion as well. I think people may have missed it. [/quote] But the British commentators explained it better.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now