An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Communion In The Hand Still Allowed?

beaverman

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1344263171' post='2463423']
You're really stubborn, aren't you?
[/quote]
Who on this board could answer, "no," in good conscience?

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1344348415' post='2463988']
Who on this board could answer, "no," in good conscience?
[/quote]

Well...hmm I think...

:| I'm stumped.

[quote name='Amory' timestamp='1344317934' post='2463887']
Doesn't a pastor have juridiction over those Catholics who reside within (or--in the case of non-territorial parishes--belong to) his parish?

I agree that a regular priest doesn't have authority over the liturgy he celebrates. Clearly any command he gives that deprives a Catholic of his canonical right to receive Communion kneeling is not a valid command that binds in conscience. At the same time, though, it's not correct to say that a pastor has no authority over his parishoners.
[/quote]
yes, a pastor has jursidiction over Catholics who reside within his parish, a jurisdiction that allows him to dispense them from certain requirements of canon law in some cases (like the Sunday oblilgation, or the requirement of penance on Fridays), jurisdiction to hear confessions and permit weddings and such, and determine how the administration of the parish is done... it's not some broad jurisdiction that places him in authority over your actions so that he could give you orders or tell you what to do, unless you worked for the parish in which case he does have jurisdiction to oversee the administration of the parish... I don't see any foundation for any kind of direct authority over your actions in canon law, the Catholics in his parish to the pastor are not like members of a religious community to a superior.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1343746359' post='2460605']
This is different than the manner of receiving in the hand or on the tongue. When priests are receiving the Eucharist, they can physically pick it up and take it from the ciborium without hearing "the body of Christ" from another person. (They pray the "Body of Christ, bring me safely to eternal life" *paraphrased)

For lay people, whether receiving on the tongue or in the hand, either way it is placed there and they are told about "who it is." Some people could argue that the hand involves more active reception, but that is still very different than reaching in and grabbing it for themselves from the altar.
[/quote]

Oh, I know this. When I posted I originally had an idea forming, and then it was lost, so I just rambled as you can see.

Edited by FuturePriest387

ToJesusMyHeart

So, I apologize for being superfluous if these documents have already been cited in defense of the receiving our Lord on the tongue while kneeling, but I have been through a LOT to ensure that I am not being disobedient by kneeling and receiving Him on my tongue.

Thus far, I've gotten some cross-eyed looks from priests/EMHCs who disapprove of kneeling for Holy Communion, but nobody has said anything. However, I am prepared if that day ever comes.

[center][b]CONGREGATION FOR DIVINE WORSHIP
AND THE DISCIPLINE OF THE SACRAMENT[/b][/center]
[center]INSTRUCTION[/center]
[center][b][i]Redemptionis Sacramentum[/i][/b][/center]

[center][i]“On certain matters to be observed or to be avoided
regarding the Most Holy Eucharist”[/i][/center]

[91.] In distributing Holy Communion it is to be remembered that “sacred ministers [u]may not deny[/u] the sacraments to those who seek them in a reasonable manner, are rightly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them”.[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#_ftn177"][177][/url] Hence any baptized Catholic who is not prevented by law must be admitted to Holy Communion. Therefore, [b]it is [u]not licit[/u] to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful solely on the grounds, for example, that the person wishes to receive the Eucharist [u]kneeling[/u] or standing.[/b]

Source: Vatican Archives, [i]Redemptionis Sacramentum [/i][url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#_ftn160"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#_ftn160[/url]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter IV: The Different Forms Of Celebrating Mass

[160.] The Priest then takes the paten or ciborium and approaches the communicants, who usually come up in procession.
It is not permitted for the faithful to take the consecrated Bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them on from one to another among themselves. The norm established for the Dioceses of the United States of America is that Holy Communion is to be received standing, [b][u]unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling[/u] [/b](Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Instruction, [i]Redemptionis[/i] [i]Sacramentum, [/i]March 25, 2004, no. 91).

Source: United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Roman Missal, GIRM ch.4
[url="http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-4.cfm"]http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-4.cfm[/url]

Again, sorry if this has already been posted. It's very dear to my heart that I am obedient to my priests, and doing all this research has affirmed that I am free to act in the way I believe Jesus is asking of me. Pax Christi sit semper vobiscum! :)

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1344430174' post='2464454']
ToJesus: Nobody is contesting the cited documentation.
[/quote]

Superb. Carry on.