An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans Of The Immaculate

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Is anybody on here discerning with these nuns/friars?

They are [i]so [/i]beautiful! I think I'm going to visit them in December, maybe spend Christmas there. :dance:

First Tridentine Christmas celebration?! Yes, please!

Vocation Directress talks about the order with a friar: [url="http://youtu.be/teOSjuqYu4Y"]http://youtu.be/teOSjuqYu4Y[/url]

[img]http://www.holycrossbooks.co.uk/images/sisters.jpg[/img]

Joyful spouses of our Lord!!!

OnlySunshine

I remember getting in contact with Sr. Maria Consolatrice and she was the sweetest. She broke it to me, gently, that my medication needs are an impediment to their order, but urged me not to give up because there are other orders out there that might be more willing to take on someone who shows a genuine interest in their community. :)

I have friends in my CYA group that have discerned with the Friars previously. One of them was a friar for several years before discerning that he was not supposed to take final vows. Then, another, who recently got married, discerned that his vocation was marriage.

A beautiful order. I love their habit, and would love to have a vocation to join these Sisters. Sadly, that is a no, but I am so glad you get to spend Christmas with them!

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344049909' post='2462528']
I remember getting in contact with Sr. Maria Consolatrice and she was the sweetest. She broke it to me, gently, that my medication needs are an impediment to their order, but urged me not to give up because there are other orders out there that might be more willing to take on someone who shows a genuine interest in their community. :)
[/quote]

Are [i]all[/i] medications impediments? What about advil/ibuprofen/tylenol/midol, etc? Or only prescriptions?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1344062613' post='2462605']
Are [i]all[/i] medications impediments? What about advil/ibuprofen/tylenol/midol, etc? Or only prescriptions?
[/quote]

I think they were more concerned about the fact that mine is a chronic condition that required regular doctor's visits. Advil or Tylenol is normal stuff.

AVE MARIA!

The only kind of impediments are those that may make it very difficult or quasi impossible to live out the common life of the community.
Once someone has professed their vows however, God may send send as much illness as He wishes, and the community will "care for the sick friar (or sister) as he himself would like to be cared for" (seraphic rule).

AVE MARIA!

dymphnamaria

I have been with the sisters lately. One thing i love from them is their liturgy and of course their habit. :hehe:

I did contact these Sisters. But alas, I am too old. They did tell me that there is another Congregation The Handmaids of the Immaculate with the same spirituality and a different habit. This congregations accepts older vocations as well as younger. The Handmaids are Consecrated Lay persons though.
I have to be honest and say if the spirituality is the same I do not really understand why one congregation is closed to older vocations and not the other. But I guess that is just their charism. It kind of reminds me of lay sisters and choir sisters though somehow.
They are lovely and I would have loved to discern with them but I, personally, found the above division a bit off-putting and it kind of stopped me in my tracks.

dymphnamaria

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1344101846' post='2462691']
I did contact these Sisters. But alas, I am too old. They did tell me that there is another Congregation The Handmaids of the Immaculate with the same spirituality and a different habit. This congregations accepts older vocations as well as younger. The Handmaids are Consecrated Lay persons though.
I have to be honest and say if the spirituality is the same I do not really understand why one congregation is closed to older vocations and not the other. But I guess that is just their charism. It kind of reminds me of lay sisters and choir sisters though somehow.
They are lovely and I would have loved to discern with them but I, personally, found the above division a bit off-putting and it kind of stopped me in my tracks.
[/quote]

I am so sorry to hear that. As far as i know, their age limit would be until 35 and some may be on case to case basis. Try to consider the Visitation nuns, they accept late vocations. :)

[quote name='dymphnamaria' timestamp='1344103657' post='2462700']
I am so sorry to hear that. As far as i know, their age limit would be until 35 and some may be on case to case basis. Try to consider the Visitation nuns, they accept late vocations. :)
[/quote]

Yes, the age limit is 35, but for the Handmaids of the Immaculate one can be older. Many thanks for the suggestion of the Visitation Nuns but I don't think I am called to the cloister. I think my calling is more as a Sister, or possibly as a missionary, than as a Nun. :)

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1344113360' post='2462749']
Yes, the age limit is 35, but for the Handmaids of the Immaculate one can be older. Many thanks for the suggestion of the Visitation Nuns but I don't think I am called to the cloister. I think my calling is more as a Sister, or possibly as a missionary, than as a Nun. :)
[/quote]

LiL'Nun, have you heard of the [b]Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope?[/b] They're Benedictine contemplative-active sisters in Tulsa, Oklahoma, whose mother superior is Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God (Rosalind Moss).

I have information from them which reads: "[i]Women of [b][u]every age[/u][/b] and background who are able to live the life of the community may join our order. What is required above all is a deep love of God and for the Catholic Church, coupled with a desire to draw all the world to Him through a life of prayer and humble, active service in union with other women who, together, form one heart within the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of our Blessed Lord and dearest Mother."[/i]

They accept any older vocations with great joy. They are a new community, and Mother herself is aged. She was a Jew, turned Protestant, turned Catholic, turned Catholic nun foundress. They were the full length, traditional Benedictine habit.

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZIWMipCPKOE/T8qaT_aaCKI/AAAAAAAAAxY/vX1fitpuj1g/s1600/group_photo_cenacle.jpg[/img]

Mother Miriam is in the middle, and the two on her left and right are postulants.

Charism:
In a word: [i]Hope[/i]. Taking the Mother of our Savior as our model, guide and support, we desire to echo Mary's "yes" in offering our lives to God as [u]messengers of hope[/u] to the world He came to save. As the Blessed Virgin gave birth to the Messiah, the Savior of the world, so we desire to bring the life-giving message of His forgiving, healing love to those who have not yet heard, and to all who long for a sign of His mercy, that the Christ of God may be born in every seeking heart.

Apostolate:
As a contemplative-active, [u]evangelistic and teaching community[/u] of consecrated women, we wish to give ourselves to a life of prayer and outreach to individuals and families of every race and creed — young and old, rich and poor — with the love of God and the truths of His glorious Church. As fully habited sisters, we desire to be joyful signposts to the God of Hope, reaching out, neighborhood by neighborhood, to those in need, teaching the faith, inviting all to the fullness of life made possible in our beloved Savior, who loved us and gave Himself for us.

[url="http://www.motherofisraelshope.org/vocation.htm"]http://www.motherofisraelshope.org/vocation.htm[/url]

If you would like more information, such as their daily horarium, or anything else, send me a PM and I'll be sure to answer you. :)

I've spoken with Mother Miriam over the phone several times, and she is an absolute delight--a true soul on fire for our Lord. I believe she and her sisters will have a profound impact with their ministry to the uncatechized in Tulsa.

*edited to add caption to picture

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

The F.I.'s have a guideline for the age of possible candidates for the institute, but it is not a hard and fast rule. The friars have excepted men well into their 50's, but on a case to case basis. The 'age limit' is there simply because, by experience and due to human nature, it is normally more difficult for someone to make such a radical change of lifestyle when they are older.

HOWEVER...
Lil nun, if you really feel the possibility that God may be calling you to the FI spirituality, then you MUST persevere in exploring that avenue. I would recommend sending an email to the Mother Superior in New Bedford MA, (i Think that it is still an Australian Sister, M. Mary Simone). Explain what it is that God has put in your heart, and ask for the possibility that you might make a visit for a time, so you can test your vocation, and the sisters can see if the age factor is in fact a real impediment for you.

BTW, the handmaids of the immaculate are more like Third order regulars, that is, not really lay people in the strict sense.

AVE MARIA!!

dymphnamaria

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1344113360' post='2462749']
[/quote]

Probably you just thought are called to be a missionary sister, but we still don't know the plan of God for you, His work are very mysterious..