An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans Of The Immaculate

ToJesusMyHeart

dymphnamaria

Yes, they are beautiful congregation. You will surely love your Christmas spending time with them. What convent are you visiting?

dymphnamaria

Nice.. They just had their General chapter last Pentecost. Their Mother General is still Mo.Ma.Michella and her new vicar is Mo.Ma. Christine, former delegate of the Philippine Mission. Do they have Filipina sisters in that convent?

ToJesusMyHeart

[quote name='dymphnamaria' timestamp='1344238522' post='2463363']
Nice.. They just had their General chapter last Pentecost. Their Mother General is still Mo.Ma.Michella and her new vicar is Mo.Ma. Christine, former delegate of the Philippine Mission. Do they have Filipina sisters in that convent?
[/quote]

Good question. I don't know the answer, unfortunately. Maybe Egidio does. :)

[quote name='Egidio' timestamp='1344123470' post='2462773']
The F.I.'s have a guideline for the age of possible candidates for the institute, but it is not a hard and fast rule. The friars have excepted men well into their 50's, but on a case to case basis. The 'age limit' is there simply because, by experience and due to human nature, it is normally more difficult for someone to make such a radical change of lifestyle when they are older.

HOWEVER...
Lil nun, if you really feel the possibility that God may be calling you to the FI spirituality, then you MUST persevere in exploring that avenue. I would recommend sending an email to the Mother Superior in New Bedford MA, (i Think that it is still an Australian Sister, M. Mary Simone). Explain what it is that God has put in your heart, and ask for the possibility that you might make a visit for a time, so you can test your vocation, and the sisters can see if the age factor is in fact a real impediment for you.

BTW, the handmaids of the immaculate are more like Third order regulars, that is, not really lay people in the strict sense.

AVE MARIA!!
[/quote]

Thank you for this Egidio,

Unfortunately, at the moment, I would be unable to enter any convent as I look after an elderly and infirm relative. However, I have been discerning for a few years and do believe that I do have a calling to Religious Life in Community.
I'm a delayed vocation so I would like to look into different Congregations so that, when I am free to enter, I might have some indication as to where God is calling me.
When that time comes, unless I have discerned I am called elsewhere, I will contact the FIs again and state my case. There are definite reasons I think I might be very suited to them, on a practical as well as spiritual basis, but this is the internet and I don't want to go into that on a public forum. (I did not include those reasons in my email to the FIs, but I will if I contact them again.)
Thank you again!
Lil' Nun

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1344241030' post='2463367']
Good question. I don't know the answer, unfortunately. Maybe Egidio does. :)
[/quote]

Ah, it is nice to be needed! :saint2:
Sorry i didn't notice this sooner, i have been on retreat.

In truth, i don't know who is there right now, except for the superior, who is of Australian stock. But i would bet (if i didn't have a vow of poverty), that there will be at least one Filipina sister there.

I will keep you in my prayers during your visit.
AVE MARIA

[quote name='Lil'Nun' timestamp='1344242385' post='2463371']
Thank you for this Egidio,

Unfortunately, at the moment, I would be unable to enter any convent as I look after an elderly and infirm relative. However, I have been discerning for a few years and do believe that I do have a calling to Religious Life in Community.
I'm a delayed vocation so I would like to look into different Congregations so that, when I am free to enter, I might have some indication as to where God is calling me.
When that time comes, unless I have discerned I am called elsewhere, I will contact the FIs again and state my case. There are definite reasons I think I might be very suited to them, on a practical as well as spiritual basis, but this is the internet and I don't want to go into that on a public forum. (I did not include those reasons in my email to the FIs, but I will if I contact them again.)
Thank you again!
Lil' Nun
[/quote]

No worries!

Let God's Holy Will be done in our lives, that is clearly the most important thing.

It sounds as if you are already living a life with plenty of opportunities to practice many virtues; looking after the old and infirm is indeed a great opportunity to learn how to forget youself, and therefore find true happiness and real holiness.

I will remember you in my prayers as you continue on your path in seeking God's Will (which, BTW, doesn't end until death! :pray:)

AVE MARIA!

ToJesusMyHeart

Do the FI's pray the Little Office of the BVM?

And/or does anybody know of any communities which do so, in addition to the regular LoH?

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1345614368' post='2471840']

And/or does anybody know of any communities which do so, in addition to the regular LoH?
[/quote]

I know the Carthusians pray the Little Office immediately before the LOTH, except for Compline, when the Little Office is last.

Edited by emmaberry

The visitation nuns used to pray only the little office of the BVM.

Franciscans however have always prayed the office of the Roman Church, according to the rule of St Francis. In Fact it was the friars that somewhat universalised the Roman liturgy.

AVE MARIA!

dymphnamaria

[quote name='ToJesusMyHeart' timestamp='1345614368' post='2471840']

[/quote]

The FI sisters pray the Little Office of the BVM everyday Friday before midday.

[quote name='dymphnamaria' timestamp='1345692302' post='2472379']
The FI sisters pray the Little Office of the BVM everyday Friday before midday.
[/quote]
I didn't know that!! Probably because i'm not a sister :nun:

AVE MARIA!

dymphnamaria

[quote name='Egidio' timestamp='1345692811' post='2472381']
I didn't know that!! Probably because i'm not a sister :nun:

AVE MARIA!
[/quote]

Probably fra! :saint2: