An Old School Catholic Message Board

Putting On Your Sunday Best

add

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I try to have a sunday best now days as i grow in the faith, but weekdays i just slap on whatever. But in that i don't even know if it is sacred tradition to dress a certain way for mass. A priest once said to me there have always been some whom do dress to the 9s believing that the LORD would surely return on a sunday, or something like that, thats where he said it started anyway. Also there is scripture that talks about the wedding guest whom wasn't dressed appropriatly for the feast and the king decided to let anyone and everyone in because the ones he had invited didn't show up. Is this dressing up in suits or dressing our hearts and minds with reverance. But than i do believe it is good to have a sunday best if thats what you believe to dress to the 9s for the LORDS day or even weeks day, it is not contrary to faith and morals as far as i'm aware.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

and i can't remember that which pantaloons are. :lol: i have been told once but have forgotten. :)

P.s. If dressing up helps you to reverance GOD than yes,yes,yes, please do. A clown suit may be a bit much though because you can't tell whom it is under that thick makeup and fake fuzzy hair, and that would be kind of deceptive, unless there was only one clown per congregation and everyone knew whom that clown was lol.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

If I know for sure that I'm going to Mass (Sundays and feast days) I make an effort to dress nicely, but if I happen to be in town and I see that a particular church's weekday Mass time fits with my schedule for the day, I won't let the fact that I'm in jeans stop me from going.

Yeh, if I know ahead of time, I try to dress nicely, but if I'm just going along my day and feel like going to a mass on a whim, I don't go home and change for it.

I try and dress neatly for Mass but I don't have a huge wardrobe (broke student and all) so I can't afford to have specific clothes for Mass. I've gone to Mass in jeans before when I've happened to be in town or finished a lecture at the right time.

I tend to wear dress clothes to Sunday mass, but for daily masses, I wear whatever I'm wearing that day.

Edited by Amppax

cmotherofpirl

If its a funeral I'm singing I have one outfit I wear consistantly - black pantaloons and black print top. If I'm popping into daily mass, its whatever I happen to be wearing, sometimes jeans, sometimes not.

I don't put on my best clothes on sundays. If I would I should have so expansive clothing on me that it should just be to much embarrassment for other parishioner that maybe doesn't have the money to put up with fancy clothing. I dress how I normally do. I think of it as some sort of humility.

filius_angelorum

Generally, I think it is important for us, as individuals, to dress for Mass in at least the way we would dress if we were meeting someone important or a superior in our job. It is important for us to manifest to others the fact that the day is set aside from manual labor and for mutual festivity. That is why, to me, we ought to at least refrain from wearing work clothes (like jeans, overalls, etc.) to Mass. If we can put on a jacket for an office party, why cannot we not put one on for Mass? Also, although modesty ought to be maintained at all times, it should be especially notable in a Christian gathering. I do not think the corrective towards today's laxity in Sunday dress ought to be dressing for Mass as though we were going to a cocktail party.

Edit: As for having too many clothes...Have a look at previous generations. Even those who were better off generally had fewer clothes than many of today's lower class, since clothes were more expensive, yet they managed to keep a few things back for Sundays, parties, and going out (usually one outfit sufficed for all three things).

Edited by filius_angelorum

Nihil Obstat

My 'Sunday best' isn't only for going to church, so I can't really say that. But I do wear my nicest clothing on Sundays. Typically a suit and tie, although if it's very hot then a shirt and tie and good slacks. If I decide to go to a weekday Mass then I may or may not have time to change, but generally speaking I do, so I tend to go with the shirt and tie and slacks in those scenarios as well.
I personally don't feel right wearing jeans in church, so I make a point to avoid it. Of course it's happened a handful of times because of this or that, but it makes me uncomfortable.

To Jesus Through Mary

Same as most. I dress up for Sunday Mass (although I do not have specific clothes I wear only to Mass.) Normally skirt with a nicer shirt. Daily Mass I wear whatever I am going to be wearing that day for the most part. Sunday is such a special day I try and have my dress reflect that.

carmenchristi

I dress up for Sunday Mass... even though not many people in my parish do. I don't have specific "church clothes" though. I voted that I don't wear jeans, but technically, I don't wear them on Sunday, but would wear them to daily Mass. I try to look presentable for daily Mass especially when I go out specifically for that... but if I happen to be able to fit a daily Mass in unexpectedly then I wear whatever I have on (hoping that it's not shorts, which I don't like to wear in church).

Nihil Obstat

In case anyone wants to know, this week I'm feeling rather whimsical, so to Mass today I am wearing the legendary Raritie!

[img]http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/67294117/300.jpg[/img]

You wouldn't call it a great quality tie, but for a novelty tie it's entirely acceptable. A little bit thin for my tastes, but with my suit jacket buttoned that becomes less noticeable. It doesn't have quite as much body as my better ties, so a full Windsor looks a bit silly, but I've found that a half Windsor looks pretty much like a four-in-hand on a better quality tie. That reminds me that I need to learn the Shelby knot for comparison, because that could be interesting.
I've got an ivory tie clip too. It's rather small so I usually opt for my shiny chrome-ish one that's significantly longer, but on a small tie like this, and in these colours, this ivory clip is just perfect.

Vincent Vega

I find it an interesting commentary that a man will wear a suit and tie to work, but comes to church in jorts and a hawaiian shirt. It shows where his priorities lie.

When I attend mass or church services as a musician, I will wear the garb suitable for my office. When I am attending to worship, I will wear a tie and jacket. I do not, however, have clothes which are appropriated solely for Sundays.