An Old School Catholic Message Board

Putting On Your Sunday Best

add

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I attended an EF mass weekly, even in the same city I am in now, I'd wear at least button shirt and slacks. Something about the EF makes me feel under dressed in a polo. Maybe it's because the fiddleback vestments are shinier? :hehe2:

I have hardly any slacks. I have two pair of blue jeans. Hardly any button up shirts. Don't own a suit, don't intend to buy one.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345581277' post='2471395']
I have hardly any slacks. I have two pair of blue jeans. Hardly any button up shirts. Don't own a suit, don't intend to buy one.
[/quote]

It's ok. Firefighting gear is widely considered to be somewhere in between black tie and white tie.

homeschoolmom

My *nicest* outfit is my wedding dress, and it does not fit anymore (thanks, kids!). I often wear skirts in my everyday life, and I just wear one of those to Mass-- so basically, it's my everyday-out-of-the-house wear.

am i the only one who has sunday clothes?
it feels good to dress up for mass, as my everyday work clothes get perty grubby by the end of the day.

Yes, I have 'Sunday best' dresses for Mass. As I began discerning and attending daily Masses, I began to make my whole wardrobe into a 'ready to wear to Mass' wardrobe so that I did not have to go home and change because I was wearing something inappropriate right before Mass. Goodwill is a lifesaver for modest wardrobe changes!

I think a lot of people forget that blue jeans or pantaloons can be dressed up, especially if they are a dark wash or black. One very well dressed (often formal) woman at my parish attends Mass every day and often wears white trousers that she dresses up, and it comes off looking more formal than the day dresses that I wear!

A dress can be somewhat informal, while pantaloons can also be formal. It depends on the whole outfit-although this may just be a Texas thing?

Edited by emmaberry

I try to be as clean and neat as possible. I desire to dress as formal as possible... that my wardrobe allows. That means suit/jacket and tie. Sometimes I forget the tie. When attending mass when traveling, I try my best to pack such clothes for mass. I own suits, jackets and ties, and I can't come up with reason not to wear them to mass, when possible.

I go to Mass in my daily wear, i.e. shirt (with buttons), trousers and leather shoes. In the summer (on the rare moments it's really too hot to wear something else) I just make sure not to go in shorts and t-shirt and will change before Mass. For special occasions such as high feasts, weddings and funerals I wear a suit. But it doesn't really matter because in church I wear my cassock and surplice ;)

I used to be concerned with my attire for mass. Many years ago, during a crazy hot summer, I was running errands in the middle of the day. One of my stops was at the parish Religious Ed office. I happened to arrive about 10 minutes before a daily mass. The secretary suggested that I attend mass, but I was hesitant because I had on a tank top and shorts. She made fun of me for being concerned with my clothing. Though I felt uncomfortable, I went to mass. The look on my pastor's face was all I needed to get over myself. He was so happy to see me.

At the FSSP parish I attend, there is a dress code of slacks and a shirt with a collar, preferably with a jacket and tie, for men, and for women a modest dress or skirt/blouse. No jeans, sneakers, or t-shirts.

I think those are reasonable guidelines to follow for Sunday Mass attendance.
Back in our grandparents' day, wearing one's "Sunday best" to church was standard practice among both Catholics and protestants, even in the poorest communities.

I think the whole decline standards of dress for mass reflects how there's been a general loss of reverence and sense of "giving one's best for God," and is paralleled by a decline in standards of dignity in church music, architecture, etc.

I think people should try to "dress up" for Sunday mass as much as reasonably possible, but this need not mean dressing expensively or ostentatiously.
Wearing "nice" clothes, such as ties and such, is an outward sign of inward reverence and respect for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass one is attending, just as kneeling is an outward sign of reverence and respect, as opposed to lounging or slouching around.
If people are dressed excessively casually for mass, this does not send the message to our neighbor that we regard the Mass as being anything particularly important.

I think the common arguments about "humility" and cost of clothing are largely bogus. At the very least, you can get decent enough dress clothes for dirt cheap at a thrift store. And I'm sure people could buy decent dress clothes for less than they spend on the designer tees, jeans, and fancy sneakers they wear to mass. Where I used to live was near a black church, where all the men would wear suits and ties, and all the ladies would wear dresses, and I don't think many of those church-goers were members of the yacht club.

I actually think it might show a little more humility to take the trouble to dress up a little and wear clothes you might not feel as comfortable in, or think are as "razzle dazzle," than to take the attitude of "screw dress code, I'll wear whatever the heck I want to mass."
I somehow doubt that today's jeans-and-tees mass goers really have that much more true humility than their more well-dressed ancestors.

This post isn't intended to pass judgement on any person, but merely to point out I think a return to higher standards of dress for mass attendance would be a good thing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1345762220' post='2473098']
I hate blouses. I never wear them. Buttons drive me nuts.
[/quote]

Plus, buttoned blouses can be super immodest on women of a certain shape.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1345762220' post='2473098']
I hate blouses. I never wear them. Buttons drive me nuts.
[/quote]

You women don't know what us men go through to look beautiful. We have to button our darned shirts up [i]every day. [/i]

I remember, when I first started going to Mass ... I used to *always* dress up. Always. I had the old-high-Episcopalian view of dressing up for Mass crossed with my local parishes' view (a Spanish Mass that dressed up).

Then that changed.

What I do is this: during the week, I am in the same attire that I wear for work (it is casual business). Weekends: I come as I am. Usually in decent jeans and a decent top (casual friday work attire). I don't wear shorts as a a norm -- so shorts are a no-no for me. I also watch what I wear as a top.

If i know that I will be a lector (which is NEVER, because I'm always told at the last possible minute) then I wear casual business. When I am singing/playing (yes guitar) for a wedding/quinceanera/baptism then I wear clothes a step up from casual business (dressy but not black tie, unless it is a friend's wedding then I start getting closer to black tie). If I am playing for Mass (yes, guitar -- go shoot me) on the weekends I usually do casual business.

I am at a parish in where there are a lot of workers coming to Mass either before or after work in uniform, so going in jeans is perfectly ok. Imagine having to go dressy -- then the uniformed workers would be completely 100% out of place. In our parish, they're right at home.

Edited by cmariadiaz

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345767371' post='2473150']
You women don't know what us men go through to look beautiful. We have to button our darned shirts up [i]every day. [/i]
[/quote]

I hope the rest of the women don't mind my saying this as a representative of all:

FP --- [color=#ff0000][size=6]SHUT UP[/size][/color]! :P

I do mean that in the most loving way possible ...

Edited by cmariadiaz