Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

So, Are Nihil And Moosey In An Perpetual Engagement?


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345602019' post='2471675']
Sweet! I saw it said it was very historical on the site and that they do tours, which attracted me very much. I love acting as a tour guide, especially when it comes to historical things. It seems like a good match for me.

Yeah. I can see why some people wouldn't accept the GED since it is easier than a "real" high school diploma. You only go up to algebra one, for instance, and the testing is pretty simple, but you still have to get a certain grade or you will fail. I have yet to see one American Community that did not accept it, and even American Seminaries accept it (American Seminaries are extremely picky on the education of candidates) so I am sure they will not mind it either.
[/quote]

Yes, it's amazing - they took over the site (and ruins) of a much more ancient abbey. It's amazing to think that there have been monks there since the 1100s! Even though the Solesmes monks were in exile, they were able to revive a place that had been suppressed. They do some fantastic things like the tours at Quarr, and they're making a visitors centre - they got like £2million in some historical lottery fund recently.

Posted (edited)

Double post. Sorry.

Edited by EmilyAnn
brianthephysicist
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345614845' post='2471845']
Is it too late to apologize for hijacking threads? Perhaps this will help even it out.

[img]http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/6/5666/tumblr_lj386bmz4q1qha245o1_400.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Posting a pony is always a good way to get back on Nihil's good side :hehe:

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Completely honestly, it is very difficult to get on my bad side in the first place.

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345675942' post='2472166']
Completely honestly, it is very difficult to get on my bad side in the first place.
[/quote]

Thats not what the Royal Canadian Mounted Police wanted posters say !

ed

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345598777' post='2471615']
I am actually quite serious about discerning with them. We'll just have to see how it all works out. :)

It stands for General Education Diploma. It is basically a government-run testing program for high school dropouts or for those who never had the chance to go to high school. It's not a technical school, all you do is you contact one of the places where they test and you do five different tests: A math test, language arts reading test, science test, social studies test, and a 250 word essay. If you pass you get your diploma, but if not you have to retake the subject test that you failed. The reason some in America do not accept it (Such as the United States Military and just about 99% of American colleges) is because people deem it as inferior to a "real" high school diploma.
[/quote]


With a GED, a student can enroll in almost any community college and then transfer to a 4-year college or university, if they desire.

Home-schooled students with a GED and good SAT / ACT scores can go straight into a 4-year college or university.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1345693646' post='2472387']
With a GED, a student can enroll in almost any community college and then transfer to a 4-year college or university, if they desire.

Home-schooled students with a GED and good SAT / ACT scores can go straight into a 4-year college or university.
[/quote]

That hasn't been my impression with colleges. Community colleges yes, but the credits almost never transfer, so that is two years of your life trying to get to somewhere else wasted.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1345688349' post='2472328']
Thats not what the Royal Canadian Mounted Police wanted posters say !

ed
[/quote]

I was framed! :shock:

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345696201' post='2472427']
That hasn't been my impression with colleges. Community colleges yes, but the credits almost never transfer, so that is two years of your life trying to get to somewhere else wasted.
[/quote]

Most community colleges that are city or county based are designed to get students into the local state 4-year college system. I'm speaking from experience. Do some research, talk to an actual advisor and actual students.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1345697779' post='2472462']
Most community colleges that are city or county based are designed to get students into the local state 4-year college system. I'm speaking from experience. Do some research, talk to an actual advisor and actual students.
[/quote]

My friends went to a community college for two years (I almost used a capital 'C'. Darn Religious Communities messing up my grammar...) and when they went to transfer their credits to Kansas University almost none of them did, even though they were assured all of them would. I was told this was not rare.

Posted

I've had the exact opposite experience (through friends). I know of about 15 friends who started at a community college and transferred to:

UCLA
CSUF
Loyola Marymount
UCSD
UCI
CSUN

My Alma Mater seemed (CSUF) seemed to have some kind of arrangement with the community (junior) college (FJC and CCC) to EASE transfer into CSUF.

By my estimation, your pretty much wrong on all accounts. Perhaps these people you know lack planning skills or the wherewithall to check and double check with the desired university beforehand? Poor planning and implementation is not the fault of the university.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345724594' post='2472534']


My friends went to a community college for two years (I almost used a capital 'C'. Darn Religious Communities messing up my grammar...) and when they went to transfer their credits to Kansas University almost none of them did, even though they were assured all of them would. I was told this was not rare.
[/quote]

Which community college? Were told by whom?
Did the admission counselor at Kansas University assure them? The people at the community college are not in a position to say what a different school will accept. If the KU admission counselor was wrong, that stinks.

I've been involved in higher education in 4 different states: MD, NC, GA, & TX. Many of the core classes at the public community colleges do transfer to the state colleges. It's also not necessary to spend 2 years at cc before transferring.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1345725962' post='2472547']
Which community college? Were told by whom?
Did the admission counselor at Kansas University assure them? The people at the community college are not in a position to say what a different school will accept. If the KU admission counselor was wrong, that stinks.

I've been involved in higher education in 4 different states: MD, NC, GA, & TX. Many of the core classes at the public community colleges do transfer to the state colleges. It's also not necessary to spend 2 years at cc before transferring.
[/quote]

Dodge City Community College. I do not know the specifics, I just know they blamed somebody for misinforming them.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345726107' post='2472549']
Dodge City Community College. I do not know the specifics, I just know they blamed somebody for misinforming them.
[/quote]
That does stink for your friends. Maybe it's not rare at that school, but my experiences are from different places. Tons of university students start at community college. Plenty started with a GED.

I guess bad college advising can happen anywhere. I've even had friends stuck in college for an extra semester because their department changed requirements for their degree. But I think it's rare.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1345727995' post='2472572']
That does stink for your friends. Maybe it's not rare at that school, but my experiences are from different places. Tons of university students start at community college. Plenty started with a GED.

I guess bad college advising can happen anywhere. I've even had friends stuck in college for an extra semester because their department changed requirements for their degree. But I think it's rare.
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm not really interested in college anyway. The only thing I would consider is psychology to become a therapist, but that would be six years and there is no possible way we could ever afford that. Besides, there are psychology classes done at the seminary, if I am not mistaken.

brianthephysicist
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345696201' post='2472427']
That hasn't been my impression with colleges. Community colleges yes, but the credits almost never transfer, so that is two years of your life trying to get to somewhere else wasted.
[/quote]
I'm surprised about this too. Back in high school, they advocated for us to get into a 4 year, but they also proudly proclaimed how much money you can save by going to a 2 year through the "NJ Stars" program or the Cumberland County "School Counts" (either of which make it pretty much free) and then transfer to a 4 year. But they also showed us this website: [url="http://www.njtransfer.org/"]http://www.njtransfer.org/[/url] which has the listings for what courses will transfer between schools. I'm surprised that type of info is not readily available to your friends in Kansas.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1345745042' post='2472762']
I'm surprised about this too. Back in high school, they advocated for us to get into a 4 year, but they also proudly proclaimed how much money you can save by going to a 2 year through the "NJ Stars" program or the Cumberland County "School Counts" (either of which make it pretty much free) and then transfer to a 4 year. But they also showed us this website: [url="http://www.njtransfer.org/"]http://www.njtransfer.org/[/url] which has the listings for what courses will transfer between schools. I'm surprised that type of info is not readily available to your friends in Kansas.
[/quote]

This is how I went to school, FP. Community was 100% covered and about half was covered when I transferred to our alma mater in my junior year. Virtually seamless and graduated debt free (thank God). I only had to repeat one class, and I knew going in that would happen.

The people who had problems didn't check with the university's requirements. It's why regular, solid advisement is important, especially in the early years.

Edited by MissyP89

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...