An Old School Catholic Message Board

Crushes

Annie12

be_thou_my_vision

Someone probably said this already, but in that case I'd like to second it--
Even if you get a crush while in religious life or while your married to someone else, it doesn't mean what you are doing is the wrong vocation. I have talked to many priests and religious about this, and the answer I got from everyone is... everyone, no matter their vocation, will be attracted to a person of the opposite sex at some point in their life. Everyone has crushes from time to time. Do no fret! God will give the grace to fulfill the commitment He led you to make.
I suppose that's not any help to you, Annie, because you are asking about before the convent, but I just wanted to throw that out there!

No! Your totally right! I agree with you!

My problem is that I saw guys as having cooties until like last month and now I'm trying to figure out what is normal and what may mean I need to broaden my horizons. It's kinda sad too, because i'm almost 20!

But since I'm not a future teller ( :hehe2: ) I'm just going to take like one moment at a time! I think this is a good plan! and The responses I got in this thread really help me to understand a proper view of the opposite sex! lol! :hehe2:

I could see myself as a really good mom or a Good sister! I'll just follow where Jesus leads me!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1345647461' post='2471958']
No! Your totally right! I agree with you!

My problem is that I saw guys as having cooties until like last month and now I'm trying to figure out what is normal and what may mean I need to broaden my horizons. It's kinda sad too, because i'm almost 20!

But since I'm not a future teller ( :hehe2: ) I'm just going to take like one moment at a time! I think this is a good plan! and The responses I got in this thread really help me to understand a proper view of the opposite sex! lol! :hehe2:

I could see myself as a really good mom or a Good sister! I'll just follow where Jesus leads me!
[/quote]

rotfl You may not have been too far off on the cooties thing...

If you ever need help in understanding the opposite sex, you are free to ask me questions, but know my answers might not be 100% credible. I have been surrounded by women all my life and I have a feeling this has altered my understanding of things a little bit. :hehe:

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1345612676' post='2471824']
I just started college, and there are a lot of fine looking guys here. I think they're hot, and that's ok--praise God for the beauty of His creation! Does it mean I'm going to start dating? Personally, no, I already have my Man and wouldn't--couldn't--have anyone else. Isn't the reason one becomes a sister or nun because she desires to be wedded to the Christ? If it helps you to discern between having an earthly husband or the Bridegroom, then date. Each vocation story is different; some involve dating while others don't. God will provide you with the grace you need whether you decide to pursue a crush or not.
[/quote]

Can I come for a visit? I want to meet those hot guys!!!!

When I watched the Olympics....I saw lots of good looking guys.....Ryan Lochte, Nathan Adrian, ohh the list goes on....but I won't date them because they aren't really my type of guy who I would spend my life with. I won't pursue them.

Also I will have these crushes til my tomb but I won't pursue them....like I know a guy who I had a crush on but hes engaged to be married to some other girl..I won't get in the way of his happiness....I am happy for him but deep down inside part of me wants to smack him. Haha oh well he's protestant...I won't date a protestant....hahaha

I will date a good looking handsome Catholic dude though...if it is in God's plan for me that is!

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345662152' post='2472036']
rotfl You may not have been too far off on the cooties thing...

[/quote]

:lol3: Wow! Nice!

hello there!
i read a good book called "When God Asks for An Undivided Heart" by Fr. Apostoli (Franciscan)- it is EXCELLENT and i recommend it for anyone discerning! The book said- when following one's vocation to religious life, it means choosing Jesus with an undivided heart in love and freedom, and joyfully renouncing the joys of married life in order to belong totally to God and be completely available for His work for souls. It said we should try to keep chaste not only in mind and body, but in heart (meaning, not allowing oneself to fall in love with another person). so from this i took away- that it is normal to have crushes, but we should guard our heart from falling in love.

also, my spiritual director said it's completely normal to be attracted to another person, and even to have strong feelings.. but since we choose to love Christ with an undivided heart, we need to keep moving on when we feel attracted to someone and not dwell too much on that person.

another priest said if there was a feeling of tension with the decision to pursue religious life because i liked someone else, then to go on dates and live my life (because i was still pretty young).. and he said he had done the same to before deciding to be a priest. and if God calls one to religious life, it should be done in peace and freedom.

and another priest said once we have already made the decision to enter the convent, there might be the temptation to leave one's vocation if a person we are attracted to come's along. married life will suddenly seem very attractive. he said this is either 1)the devil trying to divert us from God's will OR 2) God testing our vocation

hope this is helpful!! God bless you on your discernment! =]

Edited by lmsb1231

Yes, to the above post. I have heard about 'last temptations' before entering the convent/priory/monastery..usually this involves a temptation concerning marriage. One girl received a dozen roses from someone she was attracted to right before entering, with a note asking her to wait to enter so they could 'try' their relationship. Dating is alright when one is still unsure, but it you have plans to enter a certain community and are drawn away by a temptation, you should probably have gone ahead and entered. :)

• 1 year later...

Happens all the time to me. Even today, someone posted a picture of a religious sister in Rome, and I was instantly attracted. She's attractive, cute glasses, obviously devout, kinda had a means business look on her face aka probably good wife/mother material. Then I was like Woah woah woah.. She's married to Christ. Shut that down.

But it's perfectly natural, if you consider how much we share in common. 

MarysLittleFlower

While having crushes is normal, like others said, I think it's best to avoid that particular young man if you're also discerning religious life at the same time. It could get really confusing. If you can't really avoid him, try to just speak to him less. It can really confuse a person to be really drawn to religious life but also thinking about a guy.. (or for a guy to think about a girl if he's discerning the priesthood).

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Mary I resurrected like a two year old thread you know.. Unless you're talking to me, in which case.. you should probably re-read my post haha.  :smile3:

But you still have good advice.