Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking cigars and pipes  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

The Tat thread has me curious :).

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I do not, but I have no problem with it. Although someone chain smoking cigars would be kind of off-putting... I hear that is what Freud did.

Vincent Vega
Posted

Something weird about a girl smoking a pipe or cigar. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, and I'm something of a feminist, but it's the same kind of thing when a man does something "feminine" as a hobby, like knitting (and yes, I realize that knitting was an effectively exclusively masculine activity until fairly recently). It's not "wrong", just out of the ordinary.

Not The Philosopher
Posted

Yes, I am a fan of cigars and pipes. Every time I exhale I feel as though I am blowing smoke into the face of this schizophrenically puritan culture.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Did Aloysius not start a thread once about how he smoked tea bags in his pipe?

Posted

I voted "no" for both. Reason for both: the smell of tobacco makes me want to puke.

Posted

do you actually inhale the smoke of a pipe?

Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1345755572' post='2472939']
do you actually inhale the smoke of a pipe?
[/quote]
I have read that you typically are not supposed to.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Not The Philosopher
Posted

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1345755572' post='2472939']
do you actually inhale the smoke of a pipe?
[/quote]

No; the smoke from cigars/pipes is much heavier than cigarettes. You just swish it around in your mouth a bit.

Posted

so does the flavor of the tobacco just stay in your mouth? I guess I am trying to understand the attraction to it, other than 'dude, check out this razzle dazzle pipe I'm tokin on!"?

Vincent Vega
Posted

Yes. It's about flavor, just like cigars are. Also, depending on the tobacco, it is also possible to get a nicotine buzz from them.

Furthermore, there's an entire procedure to pipe smoking that really is very relaxing and enticing, for those of us who like ritual and routine.

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345756014' post='2472954']
Furthermore, there's an [i]entire procedure to pipe smoking [/i]that really is very relaxing and enticing, for those of us who like ritual and routine.
[/quote]
can you explain more?

Not The Philosopher
Posted (edited)

There's a bit of an art to packing a bowl properly, lighting it and keeping it lit. First you choose the amount you want, then you put it into the pipe bit by bit. Then you use a pipe tool (or something similar) to tamp the tobacco down. Then you take your match/lighter, and 'inhale' the flame into the tobacco while moving it about in a circle. You do this until things are consistently burning.

Edited by Not The Philosopher
Vincent Vega
Posted

Unlike cigarette, or to a lesser extent, cigar smoking, pipe smoking is not pick up and go. First you pick the tobacco you're wanting to smoke. If it's flake tobacco (http://pipesmagazine.com/python/files/2009/09/flakes.jpg) you have to shred it up a bit to make it suitable to smoke. If it's ribbon cut, you can skip the shredding. You then have to pack your pipe, about which there is much debate (as to how many times and how hard you should compress your tobacco, how many different layers of tobacco you should put in, etc etc).
After this, you are ready for the first light, the charring light. You want to char the topmost part of the tobacco, but not really get a good burn going. You extinguish this layer and then tamp the ash down. You are then ready for the real light, at which point you begin to actually smoke the tobacco. This takes some time to get used to, as well, because if you smoke too slowly, your pipe will keep going out, but if you smoke too fast, your pipe will burn hot and you can experience "tongue bite", a nasty feeling in your mouth caused by the release of chemicals when the tobacco is burning hotter than it should.
After you've finished your bowl, there is a cleaning ritual which is pretty boring, so I won't bore you with those details.

A bowl generally takes about 45 minutes to smoke, so you're looking at investing at least 1h30 from start to finish to do it right.

Not The Philosopher
Posted

^He said it better.

Vincent Vega
Posted

Also:
[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345755396' post='2472934']
I voted "no" for both. Reason for both: the smell of tobacco makes me want to puke.
[/quote]
Pipe tobacco can have a really nice room note - actually, sometimes I enjoy the smell of my pipe tobacco smoke even better than the taste.

Posted

There's actually pipe tobacco blends labled as aromatics. They smell very nice. In my experience aromatics tend to be the lighter flavored tobacco's as opposed to a dark strong blend (think herbal tea vs breakfast tea or wheat ale vs a dark porter/stout).

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345757884' post='2472991']
There's actually pipe tobacco blends labled as aromatics.[/quote]
My mistake, you're right...there are feminine pipe tobaccos. ;)

Maximilianus
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345756901' post='2472971']
Unlike cigarette, or to a lesser extent, cigar smoking, pipe smoking is not pick up and go. First you pick the tobacco you're wanting to smoke. If it's flake tobacco ([url="http://pipesmagazine.com/python/files/2009/09/flakes.jpg"]http://pipesmagazine...9/09/flakes.jpg[/url]) you have to shred it up a bit to make it suitable to smoke. If it's ribbon cut, you can skip the shredding. You then have to pack your pipe, about which there is much debate (as to how many times and how hard you should compress your tobacco, how many different layers of tobacco you should put in, etc etc).
After this, you are ready for the first light, the charring light. You want to char the topmost part of the tobacco, but not really get a good burn going. You extinguish this layer and then tamp the ash down. You are then ready for the real light, at which point you begin to actually smoke the tobacco. This takes some time to get used to, as well, because if you smoke too slowly, your pipe will keep going out, but if you smoke too fast, your pipe will burn hot and you can experience "tongue bite", a nasty feeling in your mouth caused by the release of chemicals when the tobacco is burning hotter than it should.
After you've finished your bowl, there is a cleaning ritual which is pretty boring, so I won't bore you with those details.

A bowl generally takes about 45 minutes to smoke, so you're looking at investing at least 1h30 from start to finish to do it right.
[/quote]

Dude, you're so GKC.
“In Catholicism, the pint, the pipe and the Cross can all fit together.”

if you don't don a fur felt hat, get one now...and a sword cane

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1345759195' post='2473022']
Dude, you're so GKC.
[/quote]
I am wholly unworthy of that comparison.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...