Lil Red Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 my husband smokes cigarettes. i would not mind if he smoked cigars or a pipe on an occasional basis. my grampa rolled his own cigarettes, and i loved the smell of that.
r2Dtoo Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 [quote name='Not The Philosopher' timestamp='1345756846' post='2472970'] There's a bit of an art to packing a bowl properly, lighting it and keeping it lit. First you choose the amount you want, then you put it into the pipe bit by bit. Then you use a[b] pipe tool[/b] (or something similar) to tamp the tobacco down. Then you take your match/lighter, and 'inhale' the flame into the tobacco while moving it about in a circle. You do this until things are consistently burning. [/quote] [IMG]http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg626/vitaminj861/PipeTool.jpg[/IMG]
CatholicCid Posted August 23, 2012 Posted August 23, 2012 [img]http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cza1391l.jpg[/img]
Basilisa Marie Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 I kind of enjoy the smell, but kissing someone who has just smoked tastes just nasty to me. Just sayin'.
GeorgiiMichael Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1345768889' post='2473174'] I kind of enjoy the smell, but kissing someone who has just smoked tastes just nasty to me. Just sayin'. [/quote] Don't worry, if one doesn't brush one's teeth and swish with mouth wash soon after, the smoker will also get that nasty taste as well. That said, I love my pipes and a cigar every now and then is a pleasant experience. Even non-aromatic pipe tobacco smells better than even the finest cigar (at least in my opinion). I also wouldn't mind if any future significant other partook in the finer tobacco arts. Although I don't think I could handle a cigarette smoker.
Norseman82 Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums....
r2Dtoo Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345772922' post='2473233'] I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums.... [/quote] Which is why all you nicotine addicts should just start vaping instead.
GeorgiiMichael Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345772922' post='2473233'] I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums.... [/quote] Most pipe and cigar smokers don't label themselves as "smokers". Since the smoke isn't inhaled, cancer risk is significantly reduced. There is no effect on lung capacity. There is only rarely a chance for a nicotine buzz, which also means that unless you have a really addictive personality, you won't get addicted.
Ice_nine Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 Maybe once or twice . . . but I didn't inhale.
Norseman82 Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 (edited) [quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1345776720' post='2473269'] Most pipe and cigar smokers don't label themselves as "smokers". Since the smoke isn't inhaled, cancer risk is significantly reduced. There is no effect on lung capacity. There is only rarely a chance for a nicotine buzz, which also means that unless you have a really addictive personality, you won't get addicted. [/quote] All irrelevant. 20+ years ago, insurance applications used to ask the applicant if they smoked one or more gcigarettes in the past 12 months. Now, the question is "tobacco use", which would encompass not just cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, but also snuff and chewing tobacco. Edited August 24, 2012 by Norseman82
GeorgiiMichael Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345778332' post='2473294'] All irrelevant. 20+ years ago, insurance applications used to ask the applicant if they smoked one or more gcigarettes in the past 12 months. Now, the question is "tobacco use", which would encompass not just cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, but also snuff and chewing tobacco. [/quote] And I'm still saying that most of us who smoke cigars and pipes probably wouldn't answer yes to that question because it minor recreational use really doesn't affect one's overall health and we don't think of ourselves as "users". Maybe it's technically perjury, but so is saying you weigh 10 lbs less than you do on your driver's license. And the repercussions of each are approximately the same.
Vincent Vega Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1345772922' post='2473233'] I hope youse all are prepared to pay more for your insurance premiums.... [/quote] [img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv5s8pb1SM1qb37fc.gif[/img] "Possible relationships of death rates and other forms of tobacco use were also investigated in the seven studies. The death rates for men smoking less than 5 cigars a day are about the same as for non-smokers. For men smoking more than 5 cigars daily, death rates are slightly higher. There is some indication that these higher death rates occur primarily in men who have been smoking more than 30 years and who inhale the smoke some degree. The death rates for pipe smokers are little if at all higher than for non-smokers, even for men who smoke 10 or more pipefuls a day and for men who have smoked pipes more than 30 years. " "Among the pipe smokers there were 28 percent who inhaled in the U.S. study and 18 percent in the Canadian study. [b]The U.S. mortality ratios are [/b] [b]0.8 for non-inhalers[/b] and 1.0 for inhalers; the Canadian data contain too few deaths to allow a breakdown by inhalation. " http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBMQ What the bolded means is that pipe smokers who do not inhale the smoke have a mortality ratio of .8. A mortality ratio of 1 means that there is one death per expected death, i.e. average lifespan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standardized_mortality_ratio) A ratio of less than 1 means that the lifespan is actually (gasp) [i]longer[/i] than expected. In other words, pipe smokers who do not inhale live longer, on average, than the typical non-smoker.
Nihil Obstat Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 Holy croutons, ten or more pipes per day? I didn't know anybody chained pipes. That would be... basically your entire day spent just smoking a pipe. Maybe some time to eat and for bathroom breaks.
Vincent Vega Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345782394' post='2473330'] Holy croutons, ten or more pipes per day? I didn't know anybody chained pipes. That would be... basically your entire day spent just smoking a pipe. Maybe some time to eat and for bathroom breaks. [/quote] Same with five cigars a day. I've never met anybody who smokes that much.
GeorgiiMichael Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 I think the most I've smoked in a MONTH has been 10. Hot diggity that's nuts.
Nihil Obstat Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345782435' post='2473331'] Same with five cigars a day. I've never met anybody who smokes that much. [/quote] Well it takes dedication, I'll give them that.
Vincent Vega Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='GeorgiiMichael' timestamp='1345782676' post='2473342'] I think the most I've smoked in a MONTH has been 10. Hot diggity that's nuts. [/quote] Same. You'd have to have a buttload of pipes to be able to let them rest enough to smoke 10 bowls a day.
Nihil Obstat Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1345782794' post='2473345'] Same. You'd have to have a buttload of pipes to be able to let them rest enough to smoke 10 bowls a day. [/quote] Hey, let's not get all gay here. Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.
CatholicCid Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 (edited) I just hope none of you pipe smokers are Swedish: [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1052604/?tool=pubmed"]http://www.ncbi.nlm....04/?tool=pubmed[/url] Edited August 24, 2012 by CatholicCid
Vincent Vega Posted August 24, 2012 Posted August 24, 2012 (edited) [quote name='CatholicCid' timestamp='1345783132' post='2473350'] I just hope none of you pipe smokers are Swedish: [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1052604/?tool=pubmed"]http://www.ncbi.nlm....04/?tool=pubmed[/url] [/quote] Let's say everybody who smokes a pipe in the above poll smokes the least amount they can to be in the highest tier (2x a month). A 2 oz tin of tobacco lasts me about 20 bowls, I'd say, which comes out to .1 oz per bowl. That's 2.8 - call it 3 - grams per bowl. Two times a month is 6 grams a month. The smallest increment on the graphs of the data of that study were 5 grams [i]a day, [/i]or about three bowls. That's about 25 times as much as our hypothetical person would smoke in a month. Not to mention that most people said they don't even smoke that much. If you do anything 25 times as much as a normal person does it, you're opening yourself up to health problems. Edited August 24, 2012 by USAirwaysIHS
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now