An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

Catholicterp7

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1351041882' post='2496646']
I have had my glasses fall clean off my face before. Trufax. :)
[/quote]

I cannot tell you how many times that has happened to me or someone I'm watching while interpreting! One interpreter was at a construction site and her glasses fell into WET CONCRETE!!
Nice computer! :)
JMJ+ :heart:

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1351052533' post='2496818']
Oh.... frustrating on the no-show thing.... been there, have THAT T-shirt.

My fear, my dear ARFink, was what could happen if the glasses started to slip & you tried to 'adjust' them while holding that scary-looking box cutting tool. Hello FREDDY KRUEGER!!!!!

[img]http://www.candy-lee.com/images/freddy-krueger.jpg[/img]

AND no lasering on the new toy! You can use it FOR lasering... ;)
[/quote]

Aww, I was hoping to laser my new toy at some point, but I'll hold off.

Actually, the new laptop won't be going near the laser, it's going on my office desk. The old desktop machine is going onto the laser cart.

Meanwhile the 12 year old IBM T22 that used to run the laser will likely be the one given a cosmetic surgery in the laser...

ConfusedCatholicGuy

Wow we are really not talking very much these days. I had no idea that you were going to get a laptop. I feel so... uninformed. Sad.

[quote name='ConfusedCatholicGuy' timestamp='1351060576' post='2496858']
Wow we are really not talking very much these days. I had no idea that you were going to get a laptop. I feel so... uninformed. Sad.
[/quote]

I offered to talk, bro. You can always take me up on it. :)

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rif5Llc-ziA/UIgX0s7uEnI/AAAAAAAAEYI/JWG3kRvQ60I/s800/2012-10-24%252011.28.03.jpg[/img]

Drop by some time CCG, we'll play some games. :)

Very, very pretty!!!!

Oh... and... uh... Randomly speaking.... you should be able to use one of those to rescue poor MIKolbe..... Just saying....

Good GRAVY... a meat planet. Carl Sagan is rolling around in his astro-coffin.... This gives 'the red planet' a whole new meaning.... or is that a 'meating'?

Well today has been somewhat productive, but slow going.

I began the day by sleeping late, because after the hectic insanity of a late business dinner with the CEO I was in no mood to be up early.
Next some of us wanted to go out for lunch, which I did. Good times.

Upon returning home I needed to get to work for the day. Today's order of business has been continuing the project of upgrading my business hardware. The new laptop has officially had all but one of the wrinkles ironed out. The first day of having the machine I immediately switched the OS to Linux Mint 13 "Cinnamon" which is an amazing OS and my productivity environment of choice. I transferred roughly 140GB of data to the new machine, fixed up the virtual machines, and got most of my apps reinstalled as I needed.

But for today I was initially having some ACPI problems, so that was the first order of business. ACPI is the part of a laptop that controls how much battery is consumed while the machine is running. It can tell if you need maximum power to the display/processor and adjust as needed to make sure your battery lasts longer. Because ACPI was not working this meant the machine ran at maximum power all the time, which was less than ideal. It also produced this strange problem where the laptop would think it was plugged in when it in fact was not, and vice versa. Not the end of the world, but troublesome.

I managed to discover I had not got the latest kernel updates installed, so Intel Sandybridge based ACPI wasn't working, but after an update all is well. Woot!

The second issue I ran into was that the laptop's digital-to-analog converter for the VGA port is not quite up to par. I use this VGA port to attach a second, much more gigantic monitor to the laptop, so I have enough screen space to do graphics work. The long and short of this is, the graphics get "ripples" when dark colors are displayed because the color sync timing is just slightly off. My solution will be to obtain an HDMI cable and use the digital output, which should be much cleaner and more stable.

Finally, I have been working on converting my old desktop machine to work with the laser. It's old, but it's still substantially newer than the 12 year old IBM Thinkpad that is currently paired with the laptop. This will allow me to dramatically reduce computation times and make working with the laser more productive. Currently the typical engraving job on the laser will take almost 25 minutes of computational time (including machine startup, program initialization, spooling, and path generation) for a 10 minute burn. This is completely unacceptable. The newer PC should work much better, but it's currently running Linux instead of Windows, and the control software requires Windows. So I'm reformatting it today. It's taking much longer than it took to set up Linux, but that's to be expected. Windows is a pain. ;)

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-V-Ml1L15Y7E/UItuSYXUYhI/AAAAAAAAEaA/MtN-4dd3UzA/s800/Screenshot%2520from%25202012-10-27%252000%253A15%253A04.png[/img]

My grandma is here. I need to show her my engraved rock. Makes me feel like a little kid to go running off to find cool toys to show her! I <3 grams.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GG4xzgncN8g/UI8X8jIaHQI/AAAAAAAAEfw/lmM-_pDvDJA/s800/little%2520orange%2520car.png[/img]

Today I began a new project on my blog called Daily Draw, in which I draw a picture every day. This is today's picture.

Visit the blog here plz! :)
http://weaselsgonarf.blogspot.com/

[quote name='ConfusedCatholicGuy' timestamp='1351060576' post='2496858']
[/quote]
Don't feel bad. I'm his sister and I didn't know until I saw it on his desk. :|