An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Just Got Loads More Interesting.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I just felt like posting, because I really feel like God's trying to tell me something. He keeps planting such great opportunities for spiritual deepening and service in my life. Last weekend I was given a book called 'Rediscover Catholicism' by Matthew Kelly, and WOW, it's just brilliant and so motivational. I'm meeting more and more Sisters here and am growing even more inspired by their work. I help out at a home for ex-convicts and this past week I volunteered to write to an inmate on death row. I feel called more and more each day to serving the less fortunate. On Friday I attended the most amazing retreat run by Sisters here, and I really felt like God was calling me even more to change my life in order to help others and myself.

But today was even greater. Not only did I get to volunteer with the ex-cons (it's probably the most uncomfortable service work I've ever done, but so enriching and glorious), but I now have a spiritual director :) This is something I'd hoped to begin before I left home, but I couldn't do so. When I found out spiritual direction was offered here, I signed up straight away. My SD is a Sister and is so lovely. Even though our conversation wasn't that intense, I felt so enriched by what she had to say. She helped me to realise how lucky I am, which is something I don't do as often as I should. Afterwards I went and worked out, which really helped with meditating.

I'm meeting with her in two weeks. It's just amazing how even one week (and one day) can be so fulfilling, changing and peaceful. Praise God.

Edited by Spem in alium

PhuturePriest

I find it ironic that it took you to get to America in order to discover the apologist Matthew Kelly who lives in Australia. :hehe:

It's great to hear about all of these things. I am glad things are working out better for you.

Spem in alium

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1350176347' post='2493181']
I have that book on my bedside table. Yes, it's amazing. It had an impact on me too. I can't wait to read it again.
[/quote]

I read more of it each morning while I'm having my breakfast. I'm up to the chapter on Daily Prayer - it's such a great part.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350186381' post='2493215']
I find it ironic that it took you to get to America in order to discover the apologist Matthew Kelly who lives in Australia. :hehe:

It's great to hear about all of these things. I am glad things are working out better for you.
[/quote]

Haha, I know! I checked out his website and just ordered Scott Hahn's "A Father Who Keeps His Promises". People have been telling me about it for ages but I've never been able to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks Miles! :)

Matthew Kelly is TERRIFIC! I love the CD that Lighthouse Media put out called "A Call to Joy." He has a book of the same name but the CD captures his voice and humor in such a great way. I got the CD for $3 at Church but it's not available at the website, unfortunately. He has some other materials that ARE available:

[url="http://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/speaker/matthew_kelly"]http://www.lighthous...r/matthew_kelly[/url]

My therapist was the first one to recommend him to me and I bought "Rediscover Catholicism" at the parish festival a few months ago. I got a CD in the mail by the same name from his website. I think my therapist ordered it for me because I don't remember ordering it. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

Lighthouse Media Catholic has tons and tons of Matthew Kelly's CD's, and they're all so cheap you're stupid if you don't buy them. I've seen him live and I can tell you his live shows are better than the books. He has such great humor and his accent is amesome. Buy the CD's when you can.

I also highly recommend "The Rhythm of Life". It's an amazing book and even CD (Though the CD has less in it than the book, it's still better than the book itself because he is a great speaker and makes it come alive).

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1350218481' post='2493246']
Haha, I know! I checked out his website and just ordered Scott Hahn's "A Father Who Keeps His Promises". People have been telling me about it for ages but I've never been able to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks Miles! :)
[/quote]

Order all of the Scott Hahn that you can as well. He is absolutely amazing. I also recommend Tim Staples. He's even better than Scott Hahn, though Scott Hahn is quite hard to beat.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Our Deacon was so moved by Rediscovering Catholicism that he personally paid for one copy for each family in our parish. Great book!

LaPetiteSoeur

Spem, have you ever read [i]Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy? [/i]It's an amazing book about a woman who not only was a prostitute in Paris but also killed a man. She entered Dominican Sisters of Bethanie, a French order whose main ministry is working in prisons and with imprisoned women.

There are some other great books about religious who have ministered in prisons. Sr. Helen Prejean's [i]Dead Man Walking [/i]and [i]the Death of Innocents [/i]talk about her work as a spiritual director for prisoners on death row.

I'm so glad you now have a SD (they are WONDERFUL!) and that you feel called to work with the formerly imprisoned! It's an area that needs so many workers, and you have graciously answered that calling!

Spem in alium

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1350219553' post='2493247']
Matthew Kelly is TERRIFIC! I love the CD that Lighthouse Media put out called "A Call to Joy." He has a book of the same name but the CD captures his voice and humor in such a great way. I got the CD for $3 at Church but it's not available at the website, unfortunately. He has some other materials that ARE available:

[url="http://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/speaker/matthew_kelly"]http://www.lighthous...r/matthew_kelly[/url]

My therapist was the first one to recommend him to me and I bought "Rediscover Catholicism" at the parish festival a few months ago. I got a CD in the mail by the same name from his website. I think my therapist ordered it for me because I don't remember ordering it. :)
[/quote]

I'll have to check out "A Call to Joy" also! :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350222760' post='2493257']
Lighthouse Media Catholic has tons and tons of Matthew Kelly's CD's, and they're all so cheap you're stupid if you don't buy them. I've seen him live and I can tell you his live shows are better than the books. He has such great humor and his accent is amesome. Buy the CD's when you can.

I also highly recommend "The Rhythm of Life". It's an amazing book and even CD (Though the CD has less in it than the book, it's still better than the book itself because he is a great speaker and makes it come alive).
[/quote]

I will look at the CDs. I did try and look around for "The Rhythm of Life" but couldn't see it on his website. I'll have to search harder!

Spem in alium

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350222863' post='2493258']
Order all of the Scott Hahn that you can as well. He is absolutely amazing. I also recommend Tim Staples. He's even better than Scott Hahn, though Scott Hahn is quite hard to beat.
[/quote]

I read a piece by Scott Hahn on covenants a little while ago, and it was pretty amazing. Never read Tim Staples, but I'll have a look at him too :)

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1350224621' post='2493264']
Our Deacon was so moved by Rediscovering Catholicism that he personally paid for one copy for each family in our parish. Great book!
[/quote]

:) That's fantastic. It's a really powerful book!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1350229232' post='2493281']
Spem, have you ever read [i]Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy? [/i]It's an amazing book about a woman who not only was a prostitute in Paris but also killed a man. She entered Dominican Sisters of Bethanie, a French order whose main ministry is working in prisons and with imprisoned women.

There are some other great books about religious who have ministered in prisons. Sr. Helen Prejean's [i]Dead Man Walking [/i]and [i]the Death of Innocents [/i]talk about her work as a spiritual director for prisoners on death row.

I'm so glad you now have a SD (they are WONDERFUL!) and that you feel called to work with the formerly imprisoned! It's an area that needs so many workers, and you have graciously answered that calling!
[/quote]

I haven't read that book, but would love to! I saw the film "Dead Man Walking" and it was so amazing. I bet the book would be even better!

Thank you! My SD is wonderful. I think she'll really be able to help with things, and thankfully the service is not too expensive for me to afford. I don't think the two prison-related areas of service are coincidental.To me, God is definitely behind it :) I'm not sure what His plans are for me, but I'm just going to go along with them.

Edited by Spem in alium

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1350234067' post='2493303']
I read a piece by Scott Hahn on covenants a little while ago, and it was pretty amazing. Never read Tim Staples, but I'll have a look at him too :)
[/quote]

Tim Staples only has one book. He doesn't do books, he does CD's and DVD's. All of his work is live talks and recording them to sell. He founded Catholic Answers, in case you didn't know.

Spem in alium

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1350254308' post='2493397']

Tim Staples only has one book. He doesn't do books, he does CD's and DVD's. All of his work is live talks and recording them to sell. He founded Catholic Answers, in case you didn't know.
[/quote]

Right. Thanks for the info - now I'll make sure to look in the right place. No, I didn't know that! amesome - I used to use CA before I found this place :)

The name of Tim Staples' book is "Jimmy Swaggert made me Catholic." As a convert, that gives me the giggles every time I hear it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Eowyn' timestamp='1350266605' post='2493492']
The name of Tim Staples' book is "Jimmy Swaggert made me Catholic." As a convert, that gives me the giggles every time I hear it.
[/quote]

You mean DVD/CD. :) And yes, I grew up with Tim Staples. I have known him since I was four or five, and I get to speak to him every year. Walking up to him is like walking up to the book of knowledge. Ask him anything and he has the answer for it.