An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easy Nun Costume

Pax_et bonum

http://catholicicing.com/2011/02/how-to-make-nun-costume/
What you need to make an easy nun costume:[list]
[*]Graduation gown (or plain black dress)
[*]White t-shirt
[*]Black fabric or black t-shirt
[/list]
I admit to trying this :blush: and it works really well! My graduation gown is a light blue, but the white tshirt and black veil looked great. I tied the sleeves of the shirt behind my head for a more fitted wimple, and don't ask why but I have a square yard of black material :|

[quote]I admit to trying this :blush: and it works really well! My graduation gown is a light blue, but the white tshirt and black veil looked great.
[/quote]
Pictures or it didn't happen! :whistle:

emmaAntigonos

When I was a child, there was a very large family down the block, not Catholics, who were not particularly well-off, so the kids had to use ingenuity when making Halloween costumes. One year, the two oldest girls managed to create facsimiles of the Sisters of Charity habits, complete with cornettes made out of stiff paper, and they lined up all the younger children, two by two, in street clothes, just like the "Madeline" books which were very popular then, and led them around Trick or Treating, the smallest children leading the queue.

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1351433492' post='2499064']
Pictures or it didn't happen! :whistle:
[/quote]
If I end up wearing it for a diocesan function (I volunteered to help out and they asked me to dress up as a saint), then maybe... :saint2:
My brother went as Scream for Halloween years ago, and I found the "dress" part of his costume in the dress-up trunk: it makes a perfect habit! It looks much better than the ones you would buy in a Halloween store.

[quote name='emmaAntigonos' timestamp='1351434090' post='2499066']
When I was a child, there was a very large family down the block, not Catholics, who were not particularly well-off, so the kids had to use ingenuity when making Halloween costumes. One year, the two oldest girls managed to create facsimiles of the Sisters of Charity habits, complete with cornettes made out of stiff paper, and they lined up all the younger children, two by two, in street clothes, just like the "Madeline" books which were very popular then, and led them around Trick or Treating, the smallest children leading the queue.
[/quote]
That's adorable! I love Madeline.

Super cool! I tried this last night! :smile4: I was a nun in a skit once and what I did was .. zip my white hoodie all the way to my chin and tied it .. then had a big white towel for the veil. everyone loved it!!! :hehe: but this idea with the tshirt is even better! although it would be best to find a shirt with as small an opening for the head as possible, because your hair on the top tends to show .. although you could get a piece of white fabric and tie it around like the band the PCCs wear :proud:

Because I love Him

Haha I have to admit when I was little I would do the t-shirt idea when I was little and always thought I looked like a nun!
That's is actually why helped spark my discernment!!

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1351428950' post='2499046']
I'm going to be a SOL for Halloween :)
[/quote]

MUST SEE PICTURES.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1351529813' post='2499681']

MUST SEE PICTURES.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing!! For sure! (For all the nun costumes!!)

PhuturePriest

I have a Franciscan Friar costume. Should I post pictures, or are people already sick of me posting pictures of myself in a cassock? :hehe:

I'm going to be St Clare for an All Saints party, I think. I'm not bothering with the habit (I don't have anything that's remotely habit-like) but this looks like an easy enough way to make a veil. Then I just need some basic craft supplies to make the monstrance that she's often shown carrying...

ChristinaTherese

I'm debating whether I want to wear a nun costume tomorrow.... It sounds fun, but the only veil I can make (out of a sweater type thing) is grey and I don't think that fits any habit in existence. On the other hand, nobody here would know the difference anyway. What do you guys think?

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FPlq2ghTufw/UJAFCA-otNI/AAAAAAAAADE/bZ_4RmBTJ54/s1600/nun+costume+back.jpg[/img][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6XKfvVcSDo0/UJAFE9DUGYI/AAAAAAAAADM/KZ6ZFp8nDDA/s1600/nun+costume+front.jpg[/img]